Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

2012 16' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Bambi 16- adding a grey tank??

is it possible to reconfigure the waste tank system on a 16 Bambi? The wet head is not a deal killer but the combo black/grey tank will probably be...

As I don't yet own one I have no clue if there might be room to add a grey tank... I would even be ok with splitting the system such that grey water could be separated out into a bladder on the ground for eventual removal and disposal at the dump...

On my larger 5th wheel I designed a system using a sanicon for pumping our grey into a commercial 100 gal bladder mounted in our truck bed which we could then take to a commercial dump... allows for much longer dry camping.
That would allow us to allocate all 21 gallons of capacity to black only which we would not have to "transfer".

Thoughts from the experts appreciated.
436blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
I'm no expert, but we have a 2015 Sport 16. if you take a look in the owners manual (available on airstream.com) there is a diagram of the waste water system. It looks like you could possibly reroute the kitchen sink and shower drains to an external tank that you might be able to mount under the trailer forward of the axle. It would certainly take some work to figure out if there's enough room and you'd likely have to redo the sheet metal under the floor. You could then keep the current tank for black only.

Good luck!

Matt
mhutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I did a little re-plumbing of our !6' Bambi.
The job was involved but we now have a way to divert sink waste water and shower water to an external tank.
I didn't take photos of the plumbing mods I made as so much was so inaccessible.
I might be able to draw something up later if you are curious...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
Oh, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I might be able to draw something up later if you are curious...
Bruce
I'm very curious, if you're willing to sketch it up. Maybe grab the waste water system image from the online manual and scribble on that?

Thanks,
Matt
mhutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchinson View Post
I'm very curious, if you're willing to sketch it up. Maybe grab the waste water system image from the online manual and scribble on that?

Thanks,
Matt
I will do that later today. My wife just got home from shoulder replacement surgery and I am trying my best to "fill her shoes" around the house... It keeps me busy!
Bruce.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

2012 16' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Bambi16 grey water

Bruce,
Thanks for your willingness to help out! Very excited to see what you have come up with!!!
436blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
1972 31' Sovereign
londonderry , New Hampshire
The grey tank is what made us choose the 22FB. Full bath and the grey tank. We had a 1972 that had no grey tank and it was a hassle. I am sure you could find a place for it but it is space is very limited and I am not sure you could get the tank and the plumbing to flow correctly.

Take care,
Jamie
Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I will do that later today. My wife just got home from shoulder replacement surgery and I am trying my best to "fill her shoes" around the house... It keeps me busy!
Bruce.
Hello!

Were you able to put together the diagram of the plumbing?

I'm thinking of adding a grey water bypass to my 2013 Bambi Sport 16' since a lot of the time we have it parked at our mountain property and could just drain off grey water into the woods. The addition of a grey tank might be nice too.
pgg61 is offline   Reply With Quote