Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #1

2018 16' Sport
Northfield , Minnesota
Lightbulb Augmenting Storage Tips for a Newbie

Greetings... we are newbies and have been tent campers for the last 45 years. We just purchased a 2018 Bambi Sport 16.... so this little 16 foot jewel is so exciting. Any tips people have for creating storage would be helpful. I know some have used Ikea shelving units and racks in the trailers.... it makes me cringe to think of screwing something to the wall.... what have you done to augment your space.... in the Bambi 16 or any of the other smaller models. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Robbie

rwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum, Robbie!

FYI the new search function above in the blue box works great. We use a lot of Sterilite containers, the same brand that Airstream supplies with most new trailers. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Here are the search results for Sterilite which will lead to many different posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ster...com&gws_rd=ssl

We like the 1805 small hinged container, as a number of them fit in our overhead cabinets:

http://m.sterilite.com/mobile.html?i...=249&section=1

Good luck, and have a great Fourth!

Peter

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome!

There are lots of great ideas on this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ng-100347.html

Find ways to use vertical space, an often overlooked resource.

Maggie
Old 07-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Before drilling any holes or doing anything that penetrates any surface (wall, floor, etc), you need to make sure there is nothing on the other side that doesn't get along well with holes (e.g. plumbing, electrical, propane lines, etc). Most people avoid options that require drilling, and thankfully there are a lot of suction cup and double-sided foam tape options available. Unlike drywall, if your needs change and you don't need that hole anymore...there is no way to spackle over it in the aluminum skin.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
We have a 23 foot, and we are always looking for lightweight and inexpensive "fixes" to make our life easier. We used to have issues with "smalls" socks underwear etc. they were loose in the closet and hard to sort through. We saved up our plastic Miracle Grow square tall lidded containers, and also our Costco detergent pod containers, washed them, labeled them and use them to keep socks (his and hers), underwear and T-shirts, also for hats and gloves. The containers fit great in the closet, both on the floor and top shelf. The height gives you plenty of storage. Makes dressing very easy and packing and unpacking the "Toaster" a breeze. Best of all the single use plastic containers are getting a new lease on life. Less pollution potential and a good sturdy second life. Did I mention this solutions costs nothing? For overhead cabinets and the kitchen shelves a trip to the dollar store for baskets, gives us more usable height and an easy way to keep things grouped together. Getting things in and out of the back of closets or cupboards is now easy - just pull out the front basket to access the rear.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Monrovia , California
We use Diniwell Travel bags (Amazon) made for organizing suitcases for our clothes. The graduated sizes fit the overhead cupboards perfectly. They are light, breathable, and take up little to no space.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Monrovia , California
Another space saver is Magma stacking cookware, the ceramic coat is excellent non-stick. In less than a cu.ft. It is a complete set. Originally made for the boating community.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Bellevue , Nebraska
Ok, I can’t add pictures right now (trailer is up in storage), but this is a quick easy solution to adding drawers to a big wardrobe. Our 22 FB sport has a gigantic wardrobe with a hanger, but no drawers. The floor of the wardrobe needs to come up to access the pump and some other stuff, so we could not install anything permanent. We purchased some Sterilite stacking drawers from the local hardware store that left about four inches on either side of the wardrobe. Then we added some brackets to the floor board making sure they were installed where they would not interfere with the structural support of the lower compartment (there is a post/board running from the front to the back of the closet floor space). We installed two loop brackets, looped some lightweight tie down straps through the bottom to hold the drawers in place while we towed. I had to loop those straps around the top wardrobe hanger to really work so if you want something permanent, consider loop brackets installed in the respective same spots just underneath the wardrobe shelf. To be extra safe, we also use a tension shower curtain rod (20 to 40 inches from Target) as a brace. The straps keep the drawers closed. The shower curtain rod keeps the entire four drawer unit in place. We’ve had the contents of the closet move enough to pop the screw on the wardrobe handle, so I also use a bungee strap over the TV mount brace hooked onto the wardrobe drawer. If you want, I’ll attach pics, but please respond, because I’ll never find this thread again without a link. There are a lot of them!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Thinking "outside of the trailer"...

You can add underbelly storage:

Another hose carrier (great for fishing poles, etc).
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A04-...W4V4Q1AXDV7ASJ

Underbelly drawers:
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-17518...W4V4Q1AXDV7ASJ

These work especially great when paired with a 3" lift.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4668.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	317527
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
My biggest insight has been this: Bring less. I've spent the last two summers removing things from the trailer that I thought I needed to bring. Anywhere I will drive is likely to have people and stores, so if I really need something I buy it. (Heck, I'm sleeping in a tin can, so I can spend a little hotel money on stuff I forgot once in a while!)

What I've also found important about storage is that I want nothing "stored" on the counters or tables. It too often has to move. Anything I can hang on a wall or put away in a closet goes there. Makes it easier to get up and tow too.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
I too cringed at the thought of drilling any holes in my trailer. After a couple years of dealing with the frustration of the tall stack of "stuff" we always seem to pile on the hot water heater cover, I finally put shelves in the closet. I found that 16 inch elfa Ventilated Wire Shelves from the Container Store fit perfectly (turned side ways). Four plastic clips/screws per shelf holds them well. Huge improvement.

ps. the elfa Ventilated Wire Shelves are not vinyl/rubber which gets gummy.

Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote