Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Attending to our "To Do" list

We have been on the road for about 75 days since acquiring our 2007 19' Bambi, and we love it. It is a perfect cozy home on-the-road for the two of us, recently retired. These are things we have done so far, to make ourselves at home:
  • Replaced DC converter with a three-stage unit, so can leave on shore power when at home.
  • Installed a 30 Amp outlet outside garage, for shore power at home.
  • Replaced galley fan with a much quieter unit.
  • replaced the (essentially useless) original subwoofer with a more adequate, but still modest unit. It powers off when head unit is off.
  • Fashioned a temporary garbage and recycle box out of cardboard which snugs between galley and dinette road-side-seat. Will build from better material some day...
  • Added towel/coat hooks in several places: above pantry; foot of bed; vanity.
  • Replaced light bulbs with LED's. Less heat and battery drain.
  • Routed audio cable from Aux input on the stereo head unit down to dinette table. Now can play music from the iPad or iPhone, sitting on table.
  • Added a 300w inverter to provide 110V AC for various charger units (Macbook, electric shaver, …) when not on shore power.
  • Added a couple huge pillows so we can sit up and read in bed.
  • Acquired a collection of storage boxes which fit in various places, to organize our stuff. This is an on-going learning experience.
  • Bought a new tow vehicle: BMW X5 diesel. It does a great job towing the Bambi; rock solid stable; tows confidently on snow; ample torque for hills; gets 16 to 17+ mpg when towing, even over mointain passes; great drive when not towing; we don't need the equalizer hitch.
  • After leaving our removeble jack foot at a campsite, we replaced it with one that is pinned on and does not have to be removed.

We have made three winter trips so far, including skiing at Whistler BC and Park City, Utah. Temperatures were in 20's and 30's most of the time - this was no problem. After several nights in the teens, the drain valves froze up on our holding tanks. So next, need to wrap with heat tape and insulate. But we were warm and cozy otherwise.

I was hesitant about towing on snow. But after crossing Snoqualmie Pass with chains required except 4-wheel drive (we carry chains but have not had to use them) we learned our new car's "x-drive" works great in snow and the Bambi just follows us wherever we go. So our round trip from Seattle to Park City was stress-free.

Next I need to search for how to fix the black tank indicator light, which almost never works. Fortunately the black tank has not been a problem. Our critical resource is fresh water or gray tank full.

Looking forward to our next outing...

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Charlie,

Which new converter unit did you buy? Also what range hood fan unit did you use that was quieter? I agree with you the subwoofer is pretty "interesting." Haven't changed ours yet but have figured out how to adjust it but how inconvenient to get to the controls...

We've camped down to 23 degrees. Haven't yet had a freeze up of the drain valves. They are exposed, unlike some box trailers made specifically for winter weather (i.e., Arctic Fox). I'm not sure the blank tank indicator light is worth fussing with. I replaced ours and it worked for a week and then quit again. I might try calibrating again, but it is just as easy to look into the toilet.

We bought Sylvia in Port Townsend January 2011 and towed it home over Snoqualmie but lucked out and only had rain. Sounds like you are enjoying your Bambi. We took Sylvia on a 7 week 9,000 mile trip to Washington, DC last spring and then spent 4.5 months as snowbirds this winter traveling around Oregon, California and Arizona. Home now, a little earlier than we would have liked.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
What fan did you buy for the range hood? We have an 06 and it is Loud! I like the info but do you have any pictures?
Thanks for the post.
Brad
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Details...

The converter is a WFCO WF-9855 (55 Amp) purchased from best converter.com in a kit, which included a made-to-fit-rack-mount, wires and parts to make the job easy.

I posted on the galley fan here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...n-78664-2.html
You can read the Orion model number in the second photo.

My stereo CD/DVD/radio head unit is a Sony MEX-R5 (I think) which drives 4 speakers. The subwoofer was a pathetic little thing, with a woofer smaller than the two front speakers (go figure!). I replaced it with a Kicker BassStation PT10, with 10" woofer and 90 Watt amplifier. It has a frequency-adjustable 12dB/octave lowpass filter, which is ideal as a complement to the bass roll-off of the other four speakers; also an adjustable boost at 40 Hz; and a phase inversion switch. It also comes with a wired remote control, which I have not used. The Kicker PT10 is a perfect size to replace the original, on the floor in front of the curbside dinette seat. Also the power and acoustic output is a good balance with the rest of the system.

I was able to make connections between the Kicker wiring harness and the original harness - no new wire routing needed (unless you use the remote). My settings were: x-over freq 70Hz, bass boost 6 (half way), Gain knob about 3:30 (o'clock), phase 0, input level high, auto turn on DC. The sub level is settable in the Sony head unit: I used up 2 steps, and bass control flat.

I hope this helps!

idmtman it sounds like you are enjoying your "Sylvia" as well. This our first trailer or RV. Quite a change from tent camping!

Cheers...
Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The designers (and I use the term loosely) at A$ need to read this thread.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
aircamp- the links to your photos are broken.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Looking for Adventure

1975 29' Ambassador
2020 25' Globetrotter
Social Circle , Georgia
  • Replaced DC converter with a three-stage unit, so can leave on shore power when at home

Could someone tell me about this? I leave mine plugged into shore power at home all the time. Do I need to add something to my setup? Also, where would I find the subwoofer on my 2007 Classic. Haven't seen one

Thanks
David
KrazyKelleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Galley Fan Photos

I need help inserting photos - don't know how to fix above post. But they are here:
Galley Fan Replacement - Photo Gallery
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircampr
I need help inserting photos - don't know how to fix above post. But they are here:
Galley Fan Replacement - Photo Gallery
I can find them under your gallery. Are you using a pc or IPad, iPhone? iPads and iPhones are easy, just hit the advanced tab on the upper left and on a pc click the paper clip to attach photos.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
converter

KrazyKellys,

The three stage converter charges the battery more aggressively at first, then reduces the voltage as the batter becomes charged to prevent overheating. There are many posts on this topic if you search - by posters who know much more than I on this topic.

If I understand correctly, the stock unit (on the 2007 at least...) could "cook" the batteries if left connected for extended period - necessitating use of the red disconnect switch located just inside the door. Our converter unit failed, so that is what motivated the swap.

Charlie
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
blmitch5,

Thanks for the assistance!

I am using Safari on a Macbook Pro. When composing the post, I clicked the "insert image" button, then pasted the URL into the dialog. The URL was copied from another browser window, while viewing the actual image under my images page.

Can the original post be corrected to contain imbedded miniature images, which link to full size?

Charlie
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircampr
blmitch5,

Thanks for the assistance!

I am using Safari on a Macbook Pro. When composing the post, I clicked the "insert image" button, then pasted the URL into the dialog. The URL was copied from another browser window, while viewing the actual image under my images page.

Can the original post be corrected to contain imbedded miniature images, which link to full size?

Charlie
That's above my pay grade! just use the paper clip. I will see if I can fix the original.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Picture practice

Using insert image button, attempting link to previously uploaded image on this site:

Using insert link button to link to same image:
Replacement Fan. - New fan is made by Orion, ordered from Mouser Electronics. Photo Gallery

And I think I see now why first approach doesn't work, but I bet this is the ticket - using paperclip as blmitch5 says, then uploading image from file on my Macbook:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050563_HD.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	153093  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Olathe , Kansas
I'm having trouble uploading your pics form the iPad so off to the pc. Sorry, but I think you got it now.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
images

blmitch5,

Thanks for the help! The reason I failed with the "insert image" button, is that I pasted a link to the WEB PAGE which displays the images - not the link to the image itself. I will figure how to get the link to the image (by displaying image in browser).

This lets us place image imbedded in text instead of as attachments at end of page, which results from using the paper lip.

Charlie
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys View Post
  • Replaced DC converter with a three-stage unit, so can leave on shore power when at home

Could someone tell me about this? I leave mine plugged into shore power at home all the time. Do I need to add something to my setup? Also, where would I find the subwoofer on my 2007 Classic. Haven't seen one

Thanks
David
I have had mine plugged into shore power ever since we bought it, nearly 7 years ago, with no discernible ill effects to the batteries. The two AGM's still going strong. It came with the solar package, so it may have an inverter capable of charging in stages. The sub-woofer was likely part of the optional audio/visual package. It's probably not standard equipment. Like Charlie's, mine was direct wired, and not very efficient.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi