Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Anybody out there?

Any other 2005 Bambi owners around?
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
2005 Bambi Owner

As a matter of fact, yes! I own a "new" 05 19' Bambi. What can I help you with?>
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Thank goodness

I was thinking I was alone in the wilderness. Well, we are new to AS ownership. Owned SOB long ago but such a different experience. Main problem right now is not being able to keep the batteries charged. Things seem to work fine when plugged into power. But we can't get the batteries to store power. The switch to the right of the door as you go in doesn't seem to make a difference. Any hints?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Batteries

Have you checked your batteries to see if they are dead or near dead? Even new A/S's come with elderly batteries. I replaced mine after a year and WOW! Water started gushing out of the tap etc.

Did you check to see if your batteries have water in them? When you are on shore power you are charging your batts and the water can boil off.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sure there are two?

There may only be a single battery, and it will surely lose water if left plugged in.. After that happens, it may not store as many electrons as you need... Could also have bad cell, or other curses common to batteries. As challenging as it can be to remove it, it should be pulled and checked for symptoms...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
So far So good

OK checked batt for water. It was low, so we put in water. Plugged into power but do I need to flip a switch or will it automatically charge? Thanks for the tips y'all.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santa Catalina Island , California
Be sure the switch you referred to by the door is on "use" and not "store." We have a 2006 19' Safari SE, but believe the switch is the same. Maybe a 2005 user will confirm this. Good luck.
AIR #14503
"We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. . . Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it." ~John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, in Search of America
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Will Do

Thanks A team and all.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Battery Issue

Hey Dijer,

The A Team is correct. I can confirm that you MUST switch the battery switch to the use position (not store). Have not had any probelms with mine. The batts either have a problem or your runnig them down wrong. The batts will NOT charge if in Store mode. At least this is what our dealer had stressed to us when we took delivery of our unit this summer.

We used the trailer for a two week trip, one week at a time in a single location. We had NO electricity in the campground (national parks) and ran the trailer exclusively off of the batts for a week at a time without problems. The last day or so we noticed the batts wearing down to low levels. You should be getting equal time... I also agree that I wouldn't hessitate considering a replacement if they won't take a charge. Not worth the frustration...

Best of luck! We are truly enjoying our 19' Bambi. Hope you are too.
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
R I P

Well, our batteries are dead. We put in water, left them connected to power with switch in proper position but they would not charge up. So now we need to check the warranty. Haven't priced new ones yet but heard they were a couple hundred dollars??
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Batteries

I just put in new Lifeline AGM batteries, both Caravels. After searching I got them for 132$ apiece. No gas or acid problems, high amp hours, deep cycle. I don't know about buying in Hawaii but I think shipping these really heavy types would not be cheap. NAPA sells Optimas and should be in Hawaii....it's a boat battery too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Problem Solved

New batteries purchased at a marine supply store, pro-rated price, now we are back in action. Thanks for the help! Aloha
Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Something else to consider: we carry a Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. It's light, small and quiet. Also pretty miserly on the gas. A couple of hours running before dinner and you're charged for the night and morning. One small problem: these things are popular and develop "legs" - when you're away from the trailer, it's probably not a good idea to have it visible.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Next decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown
Something else to consider: we carry a Honda 2000 generator when boondocking.
Hi jglabrown - That is something we will soon be considering. Thanks for the tip. Aloha