Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
alternator?????

i have been traveling with my brand new 22ft safari sport-bambi and the thing i miss is :can not use the outlets ,nor the air conditioner unless i am on shore power.....is there any way to install a alternator and if so what does it involve????with this hot weather is was hard to boondock or use harvest host..etc....just wondering....thanks...M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
An alternator usually requires a method of rotation, generally an engine. If you are near a source of flowing water, you could possibly rig up a paddle wheel to move the alternator, or a windmill if it's windy. I suppose you could connect an alternator to a stationary bike, which would also work.

Though I really don't know why you would want to go to such lengths simply to charge your 12v battery.

Are you sure you aren't wanting to know about an inverter? It takes 12v DC and makes 120v AC.
And no, if that is what you are asking, it is impossible to use one to generate enough power to run your air conditioner for more than about 2 minutes with your single battery.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How about buying an inverter generator?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
its all about wording ..o.k inverter it is....i have solar panels and thought it would keep the battery full....you can make fun,,,i do not pretend to know anything...this is why i ask the forum....
Old 09-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Solar panels will not power your air conditioner. You need a generator.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Solar panels will not power your air conditioner. You need a generator.

Thanks. Too bad
Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
alternator?????

Hi la nomade
Your Bambi should have some outlets that are receiving 110 volt power when you have turned your inverter on in addition to the outlets that are powered by 110 volts from shore power. You will not be able to use the air conditioner unless you have 110 shore power or you purchase a generator large enough (about 3000 watts) to power the air conditioner. You can usually keep comfortable enough by carefully adjusting air flow using window adjustment and the fantastic fan. It's all a bit of a dance that you will get good at over time. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Hi la nomade
Your Bambi should have some outlets that are receiving 110 volt power when you have turned your inverter on in addition to the outlets that are powered by 110 volts from shore power. You will not be able to use the air conditioner unless you have 110 shore power or you purchase a generator large enough (about 3000 watts) to power the air conditioner. You can usually keep comfortable enough by carefully adjusting air flow using window adjustment and the fantastic fan. It's all a bit of a dance that you will get good at over time. Good luck.
Sport models do not have factory equipped inverters.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
120v & A/C power

Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i have been traveling with my brand new 22ft safari sport-bambi and the thing i miss is :can not use the outlets ,nor the air conditioner unless i am on shore power.....is there any way to install a alternator and if so what does it involve????with this hot weather is was hard to boondock or use harvest host..etc....just wondering....thanks...M
The simplest, least expensive way to run 120v & A/C while boondocking is purchasing a quality Inverter Generator. It would cost a bunch of money to put together enough solar and battery combination to run your A/C. Lots of folks buy the small Honda 2200 watt gas powered unit. Little expensive at around $1100.00 but stone reliable. I have a Champion 3500 watt Dual Fuel and run it exclusively on propane. Cost $1050.00 at the dreaded Camping World. Powers everything with room to spare. Electric start, RV plug in ready and so far has not missed a beat. A little heavy at just under 100 LBS, but my tow vehicle has a lot of cargo capacity. Your going to need a generator. Do some research and get one that fills the bill for your power requirements.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

Solar and no inverter? I guess one should not assume.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
The simplest, least expensive way to run 120v & A/C while boondocking is purchasing a quality Inverter Generator. It would cost a bunch of money to put together enough solar and battery combination to run your A/C. Lots of folks buy the small Honda 2200 watt gas powered unit. Little expensive at around $1100.00 but stone reliable. I have a Champion 3500 watt Dual Fuel and run it exclusively on propane. Cost $1050.00 at the dreaded Camping World. Powers everything with room to spare. Electric start, RV plug in ready and so far has not missed a beat. A little heavy at just under 100 LBS, but my tow vehicle has a lot of cargo capacity. Your going to need a generator. Do some research and get one that fills the bill for your power requirements.

Best reply and idea yet
Thank you I will research
Or just give up the idea
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Solar and no inverter? I guess one should not assume.
I should never say "never". I guess if somebody waved enough cash at them, they'd put one in, but as a a normal option, they don't.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Very Welcome

Glad I could be of help. Sounds like you wanted to avoid getting generator. I understand that. Kind of takes the "Off the Grid" aspect away. As I stated, do a bit of research. There are many different brands of generators out there. Some better than others. One thing to keep in mind, if you boondock with a group, try to get a quiet running unit. The Honda is kind of the benchmark for low noise. The Champion that I have is ever so slightly louder than the Honda. Not much louder, but you can tell. Good luck with your research and ask any question you need answers for. This Airforums group is generally a pretty good bunch. Happy travels.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
More Info

Go to "YouTube" and put in "Best RV Generators" a whole bunch of reviews of just about every brand of generator will come up. Grab a cold one, have a seat, and conduct research! Happy hunting.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

Thank you. Will have to adjust since there is no simple solution
Use campgrounds when needed
Boondocking if not too hot