Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Almost there...2019 22 Sport..advice??

So we went to the nearest AS dealer to look at an Alto 2114 by Safari Condo and ended up applying for financing on a '19 22ft Sport. Currently have a 1977 LandYacht 30ft that we better hurry up and sell (lol).

I haven't negotiated any price with the dealer as of yet..his initial words were that he only had a "little wiggle room" on the $73k CAD price (about 55.4k USD). Sounds like most people have been able to negotiate a better price..hoping I'll be able to get a better deal when I next sit with the dealer.

What are other owners thoughts on bargaining in WD hitches and solar vs. a straight up drop in the price?

This is a big purchase for us and we've worked out way from tents, pop ups, B Class, Vintage AS to a brand new one...so we're both a little anxious to ensure we do this right. Any wisdom is VERY much appreciated!

Mike

*look for my beautiful 77 on the forums soon
Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post
So we went to the nearest AS dealer to look at an Alto 2114 by Safari Condo and ended up applying for financing on a '19 22ft Sport. Currently have a 1977 LandYacht 30ft that we better hurry up and sell (lol).

I haven't negotiated any price with the dealer as of yet..his initial words were that he only had a "little wiggle room" on the $73k CAD price (about 55.4k USD). Sounds like most people have been able to negotiate a better price..hoping I'll be able to get a better deal when I next sit with the dealer.

What are other owners thoughts on bargaining in WD hitches and solar vs. a straight up drop in the price?

This is a big purchase for us and we've worked out way from tents, pop ups, B Class, Vintage AS to a brand new one...so we're both a little anxious to ensure we do this right. Any wisdom is VERY much appreciated!

Mike

We bought our 2019 in March and got it just before July. We got them to match last years prices. It had gone up quite a bit. It's hard to haggle in Ontario when the next airstream dealer is a whole province away. That said Canam was very diligent and actually sent a guy to pickup our trailer in Ohio so we'd have it in time for our vacation. It arrived on thursday at 10 Pm....we picked it up and drove home on friday. arrived at 5pm ........then left the next morning for a 2 week camping stint.

i hope you enjoy your new Airstream !
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:

I just looked up my final quote from my dealer in Chicago. Even though it was the last 2018 in the midwest (USA) we got our 22fb which was stickered at $56,909 for $50,684, out the door, off the lot, however you want to put it. We got a 10 day sticker which got us up to our lot in MI. so we can't tow it anywhere.

Now that they are starting to deliver the 2019 I would insist on at least a 10% discount. I had been quoted $49,800 on a "wait for" 2019 over the phone from the dealer in Milwaukee , but they would never follow through with a emailed quotation, and that was without the rear backup camera that ours has.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
I just looked up my final quote from my dealer in Chicago. Even though it was the last 2018 in the midwest (USA) we got our 22fb which was stickered at $56,909 for $50,684, out the door, off the lot, however you want to put it. We got a 10 day sticker which got us up to our lot in MI. so we can't tow it anywhere.

Now that they are starting to deliver the 2019 I would insist on at least a 10% discount. I had been quoted $49,800 on a "wait for" 2019 over the phone from the dealer in Milwaukee , but they would never follow through with a emailed quotation, and that was without the rear backup camera that ours has.

All 2019 have backup cameras as standard now
Old 07-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulpride View Post
We bought our 2019 in March and got it just before July. We got them to match last years prices. It had gone up quite a bit. It's hard to haggle in Ontario when the next airstream dealer is a whole province away. That said Canam was very diligent and actually sent a guy to pickup our trailer in Ohio so we'd have it in time for our vacation. It arrived on thursday at 10 Pm....we picked it up and drove home on friday. arrived at 5pm ........then left the next morning for a 2 week camping stint.

i hope you enjoy your new Airstream !
Thanks for the info. I'm sure they will be willing to give me something comparable in terms of a deal. Delivery for this is March 2019. You're right, they do have a leg up in terms of there being very limited competition. Glad you experience has been good. I'm interested to hear how your trailer does with the initial shakedown trip...enjoy!
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
We did have a few minor problems with our shakedown trip. We found water puddling next to the toilet. (which I fixed by tightening the water inlet on the toilet). Also our black tank flush seems to not be working. After reading similar problems on the forums I'll check to make sure the check valve isn't put in backward.

As you can tell I won't be running to the dealer for every minor problem. We also live 2 hrs away from the dealer which is a waste of a day if I need to bring it in.

The last thing I have to say is like many others the dinette isn't very functional. I just purchased some Corian type material and will be making a new more functional table. I'll post pics after I get a chance to make it.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Hi!

I just bought a 22 sport and after looking for a while I ended up buying a practically new (2 trips) used model from a dealer. It had belonged to a friend of the dealer so I had a pretty good idea of its history and use. It still had all the dealer sticker stuff on it, not a ding, scratch, fingerprint, etc.

I drove to Michigan to pick it up from Woodland RV in Grand Rapids. (2300 miles for me) Was an epic road trip for me with my son and my dad. If you can travel, I would suggest that you contact Woodland whether you plan to buy new or used. Its a family owned business (a dad and his two sons), one of the oldest in the country and the people are fantastic.

You will see people say on this forum that you can negotiate a standard 20-25% reduction off of MSRP on new models. I found that to be absolutely untrue in my market (California).

The prices for new in CA hover above 55+. I did not find a dealer willing to negotiate off sticker price.

For the new price, dealers out here will add on some extras. The extras I wanted were front stone guards, bumper and power hitch. They would roll those in but were going to charge me extra for solar & hitch.

By buying slightly used, I did save a chunk of change, a little more than 25%. I paid 42K. It had all the upgrades I had been looking for: power hitch, bumper and stone guards. It sold in the first day listed (on FB Airstream Hunter), with multiple people interested so I know it appeared to be a good deal to more people than just me.

In my experience I think the big discount on new is an urban /forum myth. There was a guy on here a few weeks back who said he got a new 2018 for 48k. Not sure where he was but that's not a bad deal--especially if it had any upgrades.

Another advantage of buying slightly used is that I didn't have to deal with the 'off the lot' issues as most of them had been handled before my purchase. Also, the dealer had me spend the night in his lot so that I could try out all the equipment. Do that, for sure, no matter what you buy.

FWIW, I don't find the table to be as much of an issue as some posters. We use it as a bed and as a table. I have four tween/teen sons and usually travel with at least 3 of them. It isn't the most stable thing ever when it is up as a table, but it works fine for us. We aren't huge people, though. That might make a difference. I've slept on it as a bed, too, and that works fine. I don't even notice a 'hump' where the table fits onto the seats to form the bed platform that some people complain about.

We've had it out at least 40 nights since we bought it. I hope you love yours half as much as we do.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Freehold , New York
Pete's RV in Burlington, Vermont quoted us $49500 USD, with a $1000 delivery package for a total of $50500 on a 2019 22 Sport with solar package and backup camera (which is standard in 2019, thus part of the higher sticker price). They were very friendly and knowledgeable about Airstreams and easy to deal with over the phone with a deposit holding our trailer. Also consider calling Colonial Airstream in New Jersey; make the trip down there part of your first new adventure.
mikedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Pricing

Call Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. Talk to Nick or Patrick. I think you will find a better priced deal there and they are very nice to deal with. We drove 1500 miles round trip to pick up our 2017 Int. Serenity 23D. Our price was exactly 20% off of MSRP. One phone call and all of ten minutes on phone to come to terms. Bingo. Welcome to the world of "Streaming".
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
[QUOTE=mikedebi;2131941]Pete's RV in Burlington, Vermont quoted us $49500 USD, with a $1000 delivery package for a total of $50500 on a 2019 22 Sport with solar package and backup camera (which is standard in 2019, thus part of the higher sticker price).

Mine came stock with backup camera and it is 2017. Totally worthwhile either way. Biggest improvement in the 2019 (from what I understsnd) is the pex propane line. We are changing our copper out for pex. Would have loved to have it delivered that way.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
a got 15% off from the albany NT As dealer for my 2016 22FB

maybe east coast has better prices than the wet coast
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedebi View Post
Pete's RV in Burlington, Vermont quoted us $49500 USD, with a $1000 delivery package for a total of $50500 on a 2019 22 Sport with solar package and backup camera (which is standard in 2019, thus part of the higher sticker price). They were very friendly and knowledgeable about Airstreams and easy to deal with over the phone with a deposit holding our trailer. Also consider calling Colonial Airstream in New Jersey; make the trip down there part of your first new adventure.
That is a great deal...comes out to around $66000 CAD which is $7k less than what my current offer is. I'll update once I've hammered out a hard price.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Call Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. Talk to Nick or Patrick. I think you will find a better priced deal there and they are very nice to deal with. We drove 1500 miles round trip to pick up our 2017 Int. Serenity 23D. Our price was exactly 20% off of MSRP. One phone call and all of ten minutes on phone to come to terms. Bingo. Welcome to the world of "Streaming".

Thanks..I've watched Colonial's videos and always found them to be well done. Looks like a great dealer!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Sports don’t get discounted as much as it seems. Perhaps there is less profit in them, and I have yet to find a dealer with many sitting...but lots of 25’s and larger were on the lots. In stock inventory is easier to negotiate than something that hasn’t even been allocated to the dealer yet.

Buy a slightly used one, let someone else deal with the “break in” and warranty repairs and save far more than you can ever negotiate on new.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulpride View Post
All 2019 have backup cameras as standard now
We recently purchased a new 2018 22FB from DFW Airstresm They added backup cameras to all 2018 models. We just happened to come across the one we wanted that was sitting on the lot for more than 200 days. $49,000. A great experience if you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Vancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I’d like to comment on extras. GET SOLAR! (and why isn’t that standard?) That battery drains pretty fast and it’s awesome to have solar to continuously charge it. We used a suitcase-style (cheaper) on the Sport but negotiated solar installation on our Flying Cloud. Having the panels on top is absolutely better.

Loved our Sport, but plan to live full time in it so we upgraded.

Good luck and enjoy your upcoming purchase!
Coastalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
So we went to the nearest AS dealer to look at an Alto 2114 by Safari Condo and ended up applying for financing on a '19 22ft Sport.

Mike

I’m in the same process - just sold the Overlander at a modest profit after nearly 12 years of ownership. I priced it right and it sold in less than two weeks.

Yes, the sheer cost is a major factor, and Airstreams have gone up dramatically in cost. If we buy a new one, I only want to do this once - a lifetime trailer.

We have settled on a 22FB (we think), but I have contemplated the Alto - the big one. What were the deciding factors for you?
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
lafayette , Colorado
Quote:

Mike

Mike - I just picked up a 2018 23FB. We had a few issues that I have learned are rather systematic with newer AS that you should check. #1 is the hot water heater, specifically the ignitor board. I am on my 4th board now and there are repeated posts on this issues. I would make sure you do a thorough check out of the hot water heater, specifically on LP. The hot water heater is made by Atwood and they make the tongue jack as week. Interestingly that failed in the first few months. Finally, over the last few months I have found screws and door hardware on the floor. Easy to fix but clearly they were not tightened down in manufacturing. I would double check all that. Overall I think the AS will be great once we work out the kinks. Just surprising that for $70K you have to do all that.
cmonnette is offline   Reply With Quote