Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #71
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Irrgardless of their quality, in cumulate and in general, most all products not made in America are bad for America, especially in the long run.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Going from a Custom Oliver trailer to the Airstream 22 sport maybe was a mistake for me but I am still madly in love with my wife so upgrading & trading her in is not a option right now. Maybe in five more years when we will have been married for fifty years that will change
45yrs and still madly in love...don't change a thing jcole.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Irrgardless of their quality, in cumulate and in general, most all products not made in America are bad for America, especially in the long run.

Superat stultitia.
Isolationist policies are working out just so well for British Pound aren't they.
After all if we only bought all products from American sources, then there would be no way for the "others" to buy from us as they would not have access to our currency.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #74
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Now, check this SOB out. There are companies building good products and throwing in all kinds of great features for the "scraping price of an AS" the only thing is, it isn't shiny and round. Check this one out for an MSRP of around $53K. Listen to the whole thing. The guy goes through tons of features.

https://youtu.be/ZiJekZSsjzY
Slide-outs are cool because they add tons of room when deployed, but imps and demons dwell there. For example, with this model it looks like you might not be able to get into the fridge or the pantry while the big slider is in. That would be worth investigating before signing on the dotted line. Separately, on my brother's nice new travel trailer with a slide-out, he accidentally left a door open while sliding in and that snapped the door right off its hinges. Until he could get that fixed, he carried the busted door in the shower and hung a curtain over that doorway. Kind of a bummer.

Otherwise, that's a nice looking trailer with some very cool features.

Wait, I just noticed it comes standard with (Dum-da-dum!) 15" GYM tires*. Eeeek! Won't someone, please, think of the children?

Also, it seems to be missing a lot of the windows we love in Rocinante.

*Yes, I know, with their outdoor package you can upgrade to 16" Goodyear tires. Wait, that last part means, "Eeeek!" all over again.

BTW, regarding the cost of an Airstream, I love to tell ooglers that if they really want an Airstream, there's one out there with their name on it. After all, Airstream's been making these babies for 80+ years. All they have to do is pick their spot on the sliding scale between putting sweat equity into an older one vs. cash outlay & maybe warranty work on a newer one.

Anyhow, best wishes to all. No matter what RV you have, when we see you camping nearby we'll gladly ask for a tour and be unfailingly complimentary of the features that are cool. Anything else would just be rude.

Doncha just love topic drift?

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #75
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Isolationist policies are working out just so well for British Pound aren't they.
After all if we only bought all products from American sources, then there would be no way for the "others" to buy from us as they would not have access to our currency.

What I am saying is that prosperity springs from production.

No production, no prosperity. An economy built around "the best consumers in the world" is not a permanent prosperity.

This is happening right now.

Superat stultitia.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
The pound is recovering already. Don't fall for the one world government, economy BS. Competition between countries is healthy.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #77
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Wait, are you telling me these guys were wrong?

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If products not made in America are all bad for America can you imagine our society with no electronic devices or automobiles. Even if assembled here most of the parts and pieces come from overseas. We live in an international economy and nothing is going to change that. So buck up and catch up.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #79
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
America used to have an electronics industry.

Superat stultitia.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Ravenna , Ohio
So when we slap tariffs on imports which will be countered with tariffs on items shipped to other countries from the US, what do you think will happen to the jobs that are currently producing the 40% of auto parts that are made in the US for delivery to an assembly plant in Mexico?

I have to wonder how many of those that oppose trade with other countries have stopped shopping at Walmart or Harbor Freight or other low cost stores.

In 1990 US Exports were $535 Billion in 2014 they had risen to $2,345 Billion. Do you really want to go back?

Feb 2016 report
"U.S. auto exports hit a record for the third year in a row in 2014 as strong demand for U.S. made cars and sport-utility vehicles, especially in the Middle East and Asia, offset concerns about a strengthening dollar. The trend also was fueled by foreign-owned U.S. auto plants built in the U.S. Midwest and South that are now exporting more vehicles to other markets. Car makers including Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. that opened factories here to be closer to U.S. customers are now exporting too.
Last year, about 2.1 million new cars and trucks were built in the U.S. and shipped to other countries, the first time auto exports topped 2 million. The total is an 8% increase over 2013 and a 73% rise from 2004,"

So ya lets just shut down all this bad international trade. Are there problems? Yes but slamming the door is not a realistic solution to a complex problem.

More jobs have been created in renewable energy in last few years than lost in coal. Maybe if Congress offered more than lip service to creating good paying jobs than simply voting no on every proposal or even refusing to hold votes we might be better off.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #81
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
This whole thread has evolved to represent one of the main issues facing western culture right now. Is globalization good or bad for whatever one desires? The reason there is so much political upheaval in the US, Europe, and other parts of the world at this point in time is due to the ways globalization is being implemented. Is there a middle road that could be a compromise for the good of everyone? I doubt it, because most seem to want it their way 100% or nearly so.

Does globalization have to occur? With the world's human population continuing to rise exponentially, and so many of the world's cultures believing procreation is the ultimate goal of living, something has to give somewhere. Therefore, enjoy your RV (Airstream or not), before the consequences of overpopulation, and self centered political decisions, force you, and perhaps your many children, to take to the hills and live in it permanently.

Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for the words written above. They were dictated to me by the voices who speak to me in my head.

Ken
Old 07-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
So when we slap tariffs on imports which will be countered with tariffs on items shipped to other countries from the US, what do you think will happen to the jobs that are currently producing the 40% of auto parts that are made in the US for delivery to an assembly plant in Mexico?

I have to wonder how many of those that oppose trade with other countries have stopped shopping at Walmart or Harbor Freight or other low cost stores.

In 1990 US Exports were $535 Billion in 2014 they had risen to $2,345 Billion. Do you really want to go back?

Feb 2016 report
"U.S. auto exports hit a record for the third year in a row in 2014 as strong demand for U.S. made cars and sport-utility vehicles, especially in the Middle East and Asia, offset concerns about a strengthening dollar. The trend also was fueled by foreign-owned U.S. auto plants built in the U.S. Midwest and South that are now exporting more vehicles to other markets. Car makers including Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. that opened factories here to be closer to U.S. customers are now exporting too.
Last year, about 2.1 million new cars and trucks were built in the U.S. and shipped to other countries, the first time auto exports topped 2 million. The total is an 8% increase over 2013 and a 73% rise from 2004,"

So ya lets just shut down all this bad international trade. Are there problems? Yes but slamming the door is not a realistic solution to a complex problem.

More jobs have been created in renewable energy in last few years than lost in coal. Maybe if Congress offered more than lip service to creating good paying jobs than simply voting no on every proposal or even refusing to hold votes we might be better off.
I don't know where you get your facts but my 2012 F-150 includes parts that were made in Mexico.
Every job created in the renewable industry is subsidized by us the taxpayers. Renewable energy industry will never be viable on a larger scale needed and would disappear overnight without taxpayer support.
And lastly where the real problem lies with trade is that our politicians along with Crony capitalist use it to buy influence and the American worker gets the shaft. Our over all trade balance with the word is " OUT OF BALANCE" against our jobs.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #83
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Indeed, American producers are HOBBLED by policy where they are held to standards and costs that offshore producers are not.

Further, even so called American made vehicles contain copious amounts of Chinese parts.

Where did our jobs go to? We exported them along with our prosperity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I don't know where you get your facts but my 2012 F-150 includes parts that were made in Mexico.

Every job created in the renewable industry is subsidized by us the taxpayers. Renewable energy industry will never be viable on a larger scale needed and would disappear overnight without taxpayer support.

And lastly where the real problem lies with trade is that our politicians along with Crony capitalist use it to buy influence and the American worker gets the shaft. Our over all trade balance with the word is " OUT OF BALANCE" against our jobs.

Superat stultitia.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #84

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Airstreams Aluminum Wheels Made In China

Even when standards are met, cheap labor trumps everything else. I have a friend who was an engineer for a company that produces rental carpet cleaners. Years ago management required him to bid out motors built in China. He made sure the motors met specs and were reliable. The Chinese motor cost $68, the American equivalent was $300+.

Vespa the Italian manufacturer of premier motor scooters is a stickler for quality. They have been using Chinese built motors for years. The list goes on. There are quality things being made in China if manufacturing standards are held high.

In our relentless push to increase earnings and income, nobody considered the ramifications to to ourselves individually. The genie is out of the bottle and no one in this society is willing to pay more or make the sacrifices necessary to turn things around. Americans vote with their pocketbooks.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote