Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Austin , Texas
Airstream Says No Rock (Segment) Protectors

I bought a new 2018 Airstream Sport 16RB from a local dealer back in March. I decided I wanted to add the stainless steel stone protectors to the front. Airstream calls them "segment protectors". So, my local dealer ordered them (and I paid for them) and told me at the time that they may be on back order.

I called the dealer today, six weeks after placing the order, and asked for the status. The dealer had to call Airstream. Eventually I found out that Airstream doesn't have them and evidently they are having problems getting them from their supplier. They said they have no idea when they will have them again. So, after having paid for them, I'm left in a state of having no ETA. The dealer is willing to give me a refund, but that cancels the order.

I'm a new Airstream owner. For those of you that are long time Airstream owners, is this a typical Airstream experience?
K5BRY
stoneager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not sure exactly what you're asking. If they don't have them, and don't know when they'll have them, all they can do is offer you a refund. They can't force their supplier to make more.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Hmm, I was going to tell you to try calling Out of Doors Mart to see if they have any in stock but after checking their website they show them as "Sold Out" .

That bites!

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
It's not typical... When I bought my Bambi, I had to wait 2 wks. for the order to come in to the dealer... I would keep the order in, with your dealer until they can get them... or you can try some of the other RV parts suppliers..
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard..

Do the google, it may work for you

Good luck..

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Airstream gives excellent service,
You could cal the Factory In OH, explain your issue and have the real storie directly.
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If you cancel now and reorder it’s back to the end of the line. I waited about 6 weeks for a bumper. You’ll be happy when you get your stone guards. Hang in there.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Rock Guards

Stay in line, worth the wait
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I have needed a few parts including a new upper segment protector (the dark plexi wrap... not the stainless lower one). I've had good service on Airstream parts, so your experience does not seem typical.

I would keep that order and absolutely add the lower protectors. Of course, if someone else gets them before your dealer does then give with them. If your tow vehicle throws gravel like mine does, the lower wraps will eventually look like they've been used for shotgun target practice. They are stainless steel while the trailer skin beneath is aluminum. They perform a valuable function.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Try Silver Trailer Supply. My husband just ordered two for our 2001 Safari.
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
I'm surprised Airstream has a supplier rather than producing themselves in house in their plant?
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Offering a refund is not what I would expect. I would expect to have them remain on order and payment not required until they ship them.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
makeurown

We wanted segment protectors for our '67 Safari so built our own. I developed a pattern for the curve and drawing for the SS portion so a tin shop could make that, I added the bottom trim from VTS and end attachments available online.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-23 15.16.28.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	310006  
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Segment Protectors

Last spring we had one of our segment protectors pop the rivets and flew off somewhere in Arizona. I called the Airstream Service Center and they said they did not have the one for my early production 2005 Classic, but they would be manufacturing a new batch. I then made an appointment and had them install it on my Airstream since I do not trust my local dealer. They do an awesome job at the Service Center.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I would call the factory, and, keep the order in place. It is interesting that they can't, or choose not to make these in-house.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I think you need to realize that Airstream, and most other RV manufacturers, are selling their products like never before. We are currently in an RV boom period.
It doesn't surprise me that the company that supplies the stainless steel rock guards is unable to keep up with demand.

I have seen other industries have a boom period which usually causes certain parts to become scarce. It's at times like these that "weak links" are discovered.

I would not blame Airstream at this point. I would think they are working to correct the problem depending on how big an issue they perceive it be.

I would expect Airstream to either find an additional supplier or work with the current supplier to ramp up production, or both. In any case we will have to wait for the "catch up" strategy to catch up.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Last spring we had one of our segment protectors pop the rivets and flew off somewhere in Arizona. I called the Airstream Service Center and they said they did not have the one for my early production 2005 Classic, but they would be manufacturing a new batch. I then made an appointment and had them install it on my Airstream since I do not trust my local dealer. They do an awesome job at the Service Center.

Dennis
Hey yours wasn't the one we ran over going across flagstaff... on hwy 40 .. was it... we have seen a couple now from airstreams...

Sorry we had to do that.. but couldn't miss it... made the comment.. ouch thats going to hurt ... then thump thump... thump thump thump thump (trailer wheels) ....

didn't do any damage to ours... but from the rear view mirror it lost its sexy curves... and had that somewhat flattened out run down look... after the semi behind us did the same... it flew off to the left shoulder of the road... to become phill....

I would assume that you probably don't want it anymore...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I think you need to realize that Airstream, and most other RV manufacturers, are selling their products like never before. We are currently in an RV boom period.
It doesn't surprise me that the company that supplies the stainless steel rock guards is unable to keep up with demand.

Geezzzz Scott... how hard is it to roll out a piece of stainless... between rollers... can't be all that ... what 2 min each tops... as several have made their own... using hand rollers... and it only took them 10 min to do each one... once they got the setting right.. I doubt if they are press braked... its a common curve...

... and the owner comes second to.... parts order... vs line manufacture... so you 2017 came with 'em...hmmmm...

The way they put them on at the factory... is a wonder... they can make the trip home... just follow a new airstream from the factory for about 100 miles and you too can pick up a set for free...as they fall off.

Nope its likely a money issue.. with Airstream.. the manufacture probably made their contract.. and now want to re-negoatiate... for a new price since they are established... Airstream probably doesn't want to pay more so they can make more with a price increase...

That is more than likely...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And the other thing, consider that many older Airstreams were NOT made by the current owners (Thor) of the brand and manufacturing. Also consider just how difficult and expensive it is to maintain a large stock of replacement parts for a vast variety of models, build options, and year models. Then consider that these things are essentially hand-built one at a time...and the parts are delivered "just-in-time" for production.

Heck, I had to wait 7 MONTHS for GMC to come up with a common neutral/reverse switch for my steering column. It was a '79, and I needed the part in 1994. After a three day search, my local parts guy said there was not a single one available in the entire US and Canada, and that the factory was scheduled to make some more in 6 months. So the jumper wire went in so I could carefully start the beast, and I lived without backup lights for the period. It happens, and you just cannot expect every possible part to be immediately available when you need it...especially on a vehicle a few years old.

(Which is why I now drive only Toyota vehicles--I can usually get a part in 2-3 days--but it can cost a bunch...)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Make sure you get the 'Mounting Hardware'. It is not attached to these panels.

I purchased an extra set of the Full Sized 'rock guards' at Jackson Center in 2007 for our 2006 23 foot Safari. My wife recalls paying $400 or more for the pair. I about fainted... but they found a pair in the assembly area and a bag of brackets.

Yours may be half size, from what I see on the nice stainless example on your thread.

I am very surprised that these are not Standard Equipment. Much like the window guards, they are a must. A broken window or a large amount of gravel dings are difficult to repair or replace. Good luck. I am afraid to ask what you will have to pay, but hopefully... half price for half size.