Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Austin , Texas
Thanks for all of the responses. I have decided to leave the order in place and wait.

~ Joe

K5BRY
stoneager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

2012 22' FB Sport
Currently Looking...
G.h. , Washington
Strange that they're difficult to get. I too wanted those for our Sport 22'. They had a set for us but I decided to have some other things done first. It took about a month after I asked about them for our dealer to get them. Our dealer is in Covington Washington. Maybe your dealership can get them from the Covington dealership if they're still in stock there. I think that they should come stock on all Airstream's myself. Hope you find some. S/P

Silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Austin , Texas
The segment protectors came in after seven weeks. Another six weeks until the dealer can schedule time to install.
K5BRY
Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Rock Tamers

Not wanting wait or spend that kind of money for what might end up being just one trip (or a few outings) I ordered the Rock Tamers on Friday from pplmotorhomes (for my lifted 4x4 Ford Transit) since they were on sale for $199 w/free ship. Their being in Texas I was a bit worried with getting them in time (MN) for the drive to pick up the trailer before the holiday. They had next day, two day, and three day optional pay-for shipping but I gambled...... Well guess what, somehow they were waiting at my doorstep on Sunday! My hat is off to pplmotorhomes!

Now on the Rock Tamers, does anyone have on opinion on whether they will suffice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 2.56.08 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	311593  
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
Not wanting wait or spend that kind of money for what might end up being just one trip (or a few outings) I ordered the Rock Tamers on Friday from pplmotorhomes (for my lifted 4x4 Ford Transit) since they were on sale for $199 w/free ship. Their being in Texas I was a bit worried with getting them in time (MN) for the drive to pick up the trailer before the holiday. They had next day, two day, and three day optional pay-for shipping but I gambled...... Well guess what, somehow they were waiting at my doorstep on Sunday! My hat is off to pplmotorhomes!

Now on the Rock Tamers, does anyone have on opinion on whether they will suffice?
I was looking at the long mud flap thing when I had a motor home. Never got one, but in my reading I learned there is an ideal height for them. Too high and a bouncing rock gets under. Too low and they create turbulence which can kick pebbles up. I donít remember the right height, maybe they tell you in the literature.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have an older Airstream that does not have segment protectors. I have a set of the Rock Tamers. My trailer is beat to hell on the corners and front. Mostly that way when I bought it but more since we have been pulling. There is at least one dent that might have penetrated the Al and was filled with bondo. There is no way I would pulll a new Airstream without the segment protector and the Plexiglas rock guards. My rock guards have impact craters in them that I think would have broken the curved window glass. I know one person who had that happen. I have run over a short piece of wood like a 2 x 4 with the Rock Tamers on and watched it bounce of the corner of the trailer in the mirror. If you want the trailer to be nice for a long while and to have good resale value get the segment protectors installed. No, I do not think the Rock Tamers will suffice.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
I am as concerned as you are, but as you can read above the OP waited three months to get his. I thought it important enough to order the Rock Tamers, and you have convinced me that I should probably get the segment protectors for the future. I should have just ordered a 2019 22fb with the protectors, power awning and three year warranty I guess.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Austin , Texas
Well, the segment protectors came in after a seven week wait. Then I found out there is another six week wait until I can get them installed by the dealer. The service department is backed up. This is not something I'm comfortable installing myself. So, the whole process for me is 13 weeks. The good news is that they should be installed before the big July trip out west.
K5BRY
Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Arkansas
Having taken a financial hit for the rock dents the Mylar protection failed to prevent when we traded in our 22FB, your 7 week wait will be worth it.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneager View Post
This is not something I'm comfortable installing myself.
There is a video I watched recently on a self-install and it looks pretty straight forward, except he seems old school and keeps mentioning "weld nuts". I was indoctrinated when equipping the rear of my Ford Transit where we used "plus nuts" or "cross nuts" which are available in stainless steel and collapse behind the mounting surface for a very tight & secure hold. They require a relatively low priced tool (under $100) that is similar to an electrician's knock-out punch, they both use rotary thread pressure.

If it is acceptable to use something like that I would attempt it but maybe the aluminum shell of the Airstreams are too fragile?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Well, the segment protectors came in after a seven week wait. Then I found out there is another six week wait until I can get them installed by the dealer. The service department is backed up. This is not something I'm comfortable installing myself. So, the whole process for me is 13 weeks. The good news is that they should be installed before the big July trip out west.

So what it it cost? I'm curious because I might be looking to buy a Bambi on the used market.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Did you TRY HERE for a quicker delivery? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
If you cancel now and reorder itís back to the end of the line. I waited about 6 weeks for a bumper. Youíll be happy when you get your stone guards. Hang in there.
i'm waiting for 3 months for the 22fb bumber kit

stil no WTA from the AS factory.

dealer says that AS factory are more focused on new orders. existing clients are 2nd class
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Is the price on this stuff a secret?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Is the price on this stuff a secret?
No not at all 👍😳

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Oh! Awesome thanks for the URL.

In the event I find a good deal on a 16 or 19 without them, I want them installed.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post

If it is acceptable to use something like that I would attempt it but maybe the aluminum shell of the Airstreams are too fragile?

We went one better... instead of the high price pieces... that kinda make the trailer look OKIE... (sorry if it offends the oklahoma group but its a old term)

We went with a cheaper and as far as we can see better option...

We watched the you tube vid on making your own rock guards... from simi truck protectors. We went to the local truck stop and sure enough they had the rock guards pair for 7 bux...

Went to the metal store.. and got a piece of 1-1/4 sq steel 0.100 wall tube.. and made our own rock protectors... so that the TV can't throw stuff under or up on the trailer...

Worked better than the SS guards that always seemed to get dirt/leaves and other highway stuff behind 'em... and yes dear they do dent when hit by small rocks and flying children... so eventually they look like someone took a shotgun to 'em... too...

With the rock gurads (as I call them mud flaps) on the back of the TV attached to the hitch 2x2 ... you can remove them when not needed.. so its not so (OK I'll use TACK'Y)... BUT... when your towing.. they take about a min to place back on... and will not only keep the rocks etc.. from hitting the front of the trailer but keep the underside clean as well...

So how much was the total rock guard build... a whopping 18 bux... and how much do the SS rock sheilds cost... oh ya lets not go their.. ouch... ouch ouch...

I have always wondered why AS didn't put a stainless steel segment right on the front of the trailer... when they made it... guess they like selling after market items to add to the bottom line when you select the protection.. hmmm...

I am sure some day we will see the new and improved AS with the front segment made from SS... for a few bux more... on the base price...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
We went one better...

We went with a cheaper and as far as we can see better option...

You mean like these? I ordered these Rock Tamers, and after the easy install drove to Chicago to pick up the new trailer. Towed it 450 miles and not a scratch on the 22fb.

Still leaning toward the real thing though, kind of like the up close protection and the authentic look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roacktamers.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	739.5 KB
ID:	314226  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Full sized Segment Protectors, aka Wrap Protectors, aka Rock Guards.

We tried to find the receipt for these and the closest was the Credit Card purchase at Jackson Center, OH, September 2007 for $723.49. This may have included two tubes of white caulk in the event of any joints needing sealing, which never was needed.

These were the Full Sized just under the window guards and intended for spares for the 2006 23 foot Safari.

I see listings for these on Out of Doors Mart in Colfax, NC on sale for $795 a pair and $165 freight charges for UPS Oversized cartons (which do not seem to be oversized). Original list price $984.79.

I do not find a price for Airstream, Jackson Center, OH. Does anyone have their 'List Price' that we, regular folks, would be paying?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
While the stainless steel guards are effective at protecting the aluminum shell underneath, I aways thought they looked ridiculous and were a ultimately a sign of bad design sense.

To me, it's like buying a very expensive tailored suit (or fancy dress), then putting on bullet-proof tactical gear. If you like that police-riot gear over tuxedo look, then there you go!

What we really need, IMHO, is for the tuxedo itself to be bullet proof.

I wonder if there was a way to make the front end-panels out of kevlar or some other material that could absorb the punishment and still look nice. Perhaps some nice ballistic cloth (that could be any color or pattern, even changeable) over a kevlar panel, for instance.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote