Old 01-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Coto de Caza , California
Safe towing near maximum weight limit

When I was in my 20's, I lived for 3 years in a Winnebago Minnie Winnie. My one remaining memory is the very small fresh and grey water. I was in no way self-contained.
In my spare time I fly fish, bird hunt, and sea kayak. I hire guides and their equipment to do all three. I will get dirty and do need to shower. Clothes, food, and my bulldog will constitute most of the weight.
My Coast Guard duties take me from the lighthouses in Puget Sound to the gun ranges at the Mexican border. I very rarely go to the mountains. Our scientific lab equipment is digital and weighs virtually nothing. I will camp most of the time at military RV bases with full hook-ups.
A fully optioned out 1985 weighs about 4,200lbs. 30 gallons of fluids at 8lbs. per gallon is 240lbs for a total of 4,440lbs. With food, clothes, fly rods, 43lb. 2,000 watt Honda generator, I am pushing it. I wonder how much the a weight distributing hitch and sway control will add? I don't mind driving 50-55mph, but a must be able to brake under control

eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I was in the Coast Guard. Back when most of the light houses were still manned. We serviced and automated many of them from St. George Reef to San Luis Obispo.
Mile Rock at the mouth of San Francisco Bay was one of the most challenging. Requiring hard hat divers.
Sorry to get off topic folks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
A better question might be many of you took the depreciation hit when you purchased a different brand than AS ... and then finally got what you really wanted with an AS ???
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Coto de Caza , California
Thank you everyone for your comments regarding the 22-foot Airstream Sport versus the 23-foot Lance 1985. I have received approximately 20 replies from Good Sam RV Net, 30 replies from Air Forum, and 60 replies from Lance Owners. Wow! The consensus seems to be the Airstream will tow better and last longer, and the Lance will camp better and is a much better value. I am going to rent 2 more trailers next month at the 3,800lb. dry weight for better evaluation of the capabilities of my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I will camp at a Coast Guard Channel Islands station inspection and at The Good Sam Rally in Phoenix, AZ. At this point, I am strongly leaning toward the Lance and will start soliciting prices from dealers. Thank you all again for your most helpful input!
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #33
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
My apologies if I came across as snarky or elitist. I honestly thought the brother was trolling. Obviously I was wrong. Hope you get it figured out which one you want. I'll leave it to the guys who have experience with those models...

-Red, feeling sheepish and eating crow...
Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #34
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Airstream or Lance?

While you're at it, you may want to take a peek at another lightweight aluminum trailer:

Happy camping!
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
OP, try a phone or email consult with Andrew Thomson at Can Am Rv for perspective on your tow vehicle. They've done over 10k setups over the past forty years. Andy considers these inquiries a hobby. His posts are guide.

Your need for ground clearance may point things one way, but your desire to not buy another (conjectured) may point you another. You'll find accurate perspective, more so than we armchair experts.

I can say that the TT is far more important than the TV. Far more. The cart does come before the horse.

Have a son in USMC. Hope to get some things fixed so he and I can do some fishing once he's home after years overseas. Need to show him his old man has kept himself on the straight and narrow. So whatever you choose I can see you ready have a place here or elsewhere to do the shakedown.

Good luck.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Panama Red,

You and the original poster got class.
Unfortunately, some others clearly demonstrated they have none.

Thank you for your service. Best of luck in finding the trailer that meets your needs.
D Air Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I considered Lance and the main reason I discounted them is because the roof is flat and not crowned so I would worry about water pooling. Once you get a roof leak the luan under the roof starts to rot. None of their floor plans has ducted air and if you are going to go SOB get ducted air. No ducted air in the smaller Airstream so maybe a wash. It might be easier to sell an Airstream if you decide to move up or get out of Rving.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member
My 4 Runner has pulled a 19 foot Bambi over 20,000 miles though out the west without any problems....mileage about 15 mpg. I have an. Easy-lift hitch which works great.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
RFR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #39
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi
2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
I have been really impressed by the Lances I have seen in dealerships and they have a sterling reputation as truck campers. I think somebody mentioned looking at older used units to get an example of how they hold up. That is the best advice I have heard in a long time and pertains to any camper really.

As far as the tow vehicle my only caution is the fuel tank size. Yours sounds great! 30 gallons? Out in the boonies that can be a real pain in the butt if you have to stop every time you see a station because the fuel tank is so small. That killed my FJ as a tow vehicle. It pulled our 16 with no problem but the tank was ridiculous. I thought about an extension tank, but with it wanting premium as well and the tranny not being geared well for towing we just bought a truck instead. We kept the FJ though and really love it. If we are going somewhere we want a 4WD to add to the fun we still use it with the camper. But for long trips our truck just is easier (and gets a lot better mileage as well!).

You asked about a distributing hitch, I use a Fastway E2 roundbar 600#. It was pretty inexpensive, very easy to set up and works fantastic. I think there are a lot out there that are really good. I would also suggest Rock Tamers flaps that fit over the hitch. It will keep your trailer a lot nicer looking...

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
That lance is not a 23 foot camper, its an 18' one. Its about 23' overall. The 22' sport is about 22' without counting the front frame so that will be about 3 feet longer give or take. So you are really comparing apples and oranges here.

Looking at the Lance, it looks like a typical SOB with a slide. It uses an aluminum frame and a "TPO" roof. Not sure how that differs from the older style edpm? rubber roofs, but I would ask what the expected life and what has to be done to keep intact.

Long term, the Airstream will outlast the lance, but that may be beyond the time you own either.

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank you for your service in the Coast Guard.

You mentioned one thing that is a hot button for me - SALT Air.
Your concern is legitimate. Filoform corrosion (aluminum rust basically) is always going to be a problem though the plasticoat is better than it used to be. I looked down at my 16 inch Sendel wheels the other day and said (expletive, expletive, expletive). Yet another chore to do. Never occurred to me to wax those. And then I found a local company that will refinish them for me for a smallish fortune, but less than replacing them. I could do it myself, but I'd probably futz around and spend 2 hours per wheel, not forgetting the spare. (It starts right on the sharp corners where the black paint meets the aluminum.)

SO to muddy the waters even further may I suggest you look at this one:

Oliver Travel Trailers | Fiberglass Travel Trailers

Built like a double hull fiberglass boat. Should appeal to a Coast Guard man.
My sister turned me onto these and has a standing promise that if I win the lottery that's the first present she gets. She hasn't told me what kind of tow vehicle she wants yet. Specify Color Karen, I bought 5 tickets this week. Feeling lucky.

Paula... easily entertained.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
I think a "Burb" would be my tow vehicle of choice, Big Sis. color to be determined. I also have a Lotto ticket...OUR TURN, Oh Lotto gods where ever ye be!

prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote