Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Air Conditioner drip

My air conditioner is dripping water on the floor! I took the filter out and put my finger up over the lip and the cover was full of water. Why is this not draining?
All help would be welcome.
Thank you
Steve
sarmstrong@allsportinc.com
Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Probably because your drain tube outside is plugged up. Go outside to the streetside of your rig and see if you see water dripping. If not, locate the drain tube and stick piece of coat hanger up the tube and free the blockage. Could be algae or a mud dauber wasp blocking it.

hope this helps.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I carry a small piece of plastic tubing which fits in the drain hose in wheel well. I can blow in it and confirm the drain is open.

Otherwise be sure your trailer is level, not tipped away from the drain tube side. Don't operate the AC extensively with doors/windows open in humid conditions. Even normal operating AC can drip under these circumstances.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Thank you

Going out now to see if I can locate the drain hose! Small plastic hose in hand to try your trick! Thank you
Stephen
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Ok, I know this is likely stupid but I cannot find the drain hose. Can someone give some references where it comes out.
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Mine has done this from time to time. Now as a preventative measure, when I am heading on the rare trip (we generally camp in wooded SPs with no hookups) where I will use AC, I blow some air at moderate pressure (20-30 lbs.) up the tube and it keeps things freed up. On my trailer it seems that you can't get to the drip pan drain (where I think it gets clogged) very well from up on the roof, the condenser is (understandably) in the way. Guess I am stuck with using air pressure, vs actually cleaning out the pan.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Found it

Under the wheel well!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
On my trailer it seems that you can't get to the drip pan drain (where I think it gets clogged) very well from up on the roof, the condenser is (understandably) in the way. Guess I am stuck with using air pressure, vs actually cleaning out the pan.
You can't really clean out the pan, but you can get to where the drip tube attaches to the pan on some ACs by just removing the filter on the road side and on all by removing the inside shroud.

On my former 22 International, some ham handed Airstream assembler cracked the fitting where it entered the drip pan while jamming the drip tube on the fitting. It is a major job to replace the pan, but I was able to use "Marine Goop" to make a repair that held quite well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Contributing Member

My solution to clogged drip tubes

I do some paint spraying. I noticed that the filters that slip on the suction tube in my spray gun tank could be used to keep bugs out of the AC drip tube. I used two of the plastic paint gun filters, one for the AC drip tube and one for the refrigerator drip tube. I had to use a knife to open up the holes in the top of the filters a bit to slip on to the rubber drip tubes without crimping them closed. About once every two years, I remove the filters and flush out accumulated dirt. I have never had a clog since using the filters.

I bought my filters at Sears in the tool area. HD, Lowes, or any place that sells paint guns may stock the filters.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I use a straightened coat hanger to remove mud dauber and other stuff once a year. They always seemed to find a way to build a nest during the fall and early spring before the AC is used full time.
I run the coathanger up into the drip hose from the bottom of the banana wrap on mine. It's amazing what comes out sometimes.
Nests can restrict consistent flow on drip lines
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
I use a straightened coat hanger to remove mud dauber and other stuff once a year. They always seemed to find a way to build a nest during the fall and early spring before the AC is used full time.
I run the coathanger up into the drip hose from the bottom of the banana wrap on mine. It's amazing what comes out sometimes.
Nests can restrict consistent flow on drip lines
Before I put on the filters, I used a length of 1/8" steel cable to run up the tubes. It is nice and flexible and the cut ends chop away any crud.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Thanks for all the great ideas!`

I am going to Lowes to get the paint filters today. Now I am dripless again!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We don't have a bambi but we do have a 2005 model. It has a penguin ac unit. It is dripping water from the fitting where the condensate line attaches. The plastic fitting screws into the condensate pan. Like another post, there was caulk on the fitting and I presumed the PO or a repair shop had patched the leak and now the patch was failing. But based on the attached pictures of the drain pan available from Out of Doors Mart, it appears that there was always caulk applied to seal that fitting both inside and out. From what I can tell you cannot get to the inside without removing the ac unit. Is this correct? So far my additional patches have not been successful. I feel like I have to get at it from the inside.

Not sure if I uploaded these pics correctly. I hope you can see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	961270_4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	164305   Click image for larger version

Name:	961270_1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	164306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	961270_5.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	164307  
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Mine initially leaked on my 2003 International 22. The spout on the pan was fractured during assembly at Airstream. I successfully used Marine Gunk to seal it by reaching up through where the filter mounts and applying the Gunk all around the fitting with a tongue depressor. I just pressed gobs of Gunk into place.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
When I have my tire pressures checked, I borrow their air hose and shoot the drain tubes from below.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
I took this little challenge on this weekend myself. Last trip down to South Padre Island, we had quite a mess with dripping AC. This weekend I ran a cable fish line up the drip line from outside and pulled out quite a bit of gunk. I wasnt convinced though, so I also pulled the AC housing off inside, dropped the metal frame and used a small water bottle to repetedly flush the drain pan and tube with vinegar water. The hose is now clean and water runs through like a champ.

I am a fairly new Airstream owner, but running vinegar water through your home central air drainline is recommended every time you change your filter. I would assume this would be a good practice in your Airstream as well. It was easy to do, just 4 small screws on the plastic housing and 3 very long 10mm bolts for the metal frame. You have to kinda wedge your hand and the water bottle in there to pour, but not a big deal. Personally I will be doing this at least every 6 months. It is a 15 minute maintenance item.

-Smitty
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Instead of using coat hanger or wire to clean out the drain tube, either of which "could" put a hole in the tubing itself, consider using a length of "weed whacker" nylon line. Especially if chucked in a cordless drill that's operating at a fairly low speed and slowly fed into and out of the trip tube, this seems to dislodge most accumulated "stuff" from the inside of the tube, and is not very likely to cause damage ...

Just my $.02.

Also, I notice on my A/C (Penguin 11k BTU), which is not often used, that even though the drip tube is open, sometimes even when there's a lot of condensate going outside via the drip tube, the unit will still drip a little bit inside when a.) it's just starting to cool the coach - probably maximum condensate time, and b.) the circulating fan is not on highest speed setting. If I run it full blast for a little while, it almost never drips. If I run it on slowest speed fan setting, it almost always drips for a few minutes. YMMV.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Instead of using coat hanger or wire to clean out the drain tube, either of which "could" put a hole in the tubing itself, consider using a length of "weed whacker" nylon line. Especially if chucked in a cordless drill that's operating at a fairly low speed and slowly fed into and out of the trip tube, this seems to dislodge most accumulated "stuff" from the inside of the tube, and is not very likely to cause damage ...

Just my $.02.

Also, I notice on my A/C (Penguin 11k BTU), which is not often used, that even though the drip tube is open, sometimes even when there's a lot of condensate going outside via the drip tube, the unit will still drip a little bit inside when a.) it's just starting to cool the coach - probably maximum condensate time, and b.) the circulating fan is not on highest speed setting. If I run it full blast for a little while, it almost never drips. If I run it on slowest speed fan setting, it almost always drips for a few minutes. YMMV.
Ours does the same with dripping on low speed, even when the drain tube is fine. I pulled the filter and observed and it seems that on low speed it 'spits' water out of the condenser coil. Just little bits at a time, but those add up and pool on the filter and once there is enough, here comes the drip.

Seems to be a design flaw. As a side note, I found another 'design flaw' this weekend on my Penguin. If you pull out the filters and look up at the plastic housing, you will see there are 4 screws that hold the housing on. The one on the front right, next to the temp knob, sticks up beyond the AC frame about 1/4 inch. The problem is, that is where the wire bundle runs as well. So you have a pointy screw touching or almost touching your main wiring bundle. I put a little rubber nub (the things you find in a 20 year old toolbox) on the tip of the screw, just as a precaution. Worth checking on your next maintenance weekend.

Smitty
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi