Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
PJ1
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Cincinnati , Ohio
Accessing steep driveway

I am in the final decision process of acquiring an airstream and have the challenge of a very steep driveway which needs to be accessed one wheel at a time when turning into from the road to prevent the bottom of a low car from bumping. Any chance of a 16' Sport being able to navigate the turn and ascend and descend without damage? It's level at the top - just an immediate sharp ascent. Does anyone have a similar situation? Thank you.
PJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Welcome Aboard. Its really hard to say. If you could find or borrow a utility trailer loaded to the same weight and length as your AS, you could do some "real world" testing and see if it will work. We live on an extremely steep hill and it was fun bringing our 31' sovereign home for the first time. Glad to have that learning experience behind me. A word of caution, your hitch height, (trailer tongue on ball) should be as close to level as possible as a starting point. Go slow.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I built ramps from laminating 2x4's. They are 8 feet long and support all of Mjolnir's bulk.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a very steep, long driveway, and basically the only sensible solution was to park the 16' Bambi on a parking pad by the road. It was tight hitching and unhitching, to keep the front of the truck out of the road.
With 3 more feet in length on the 19' unit and a bigger truck now, we basically decided to store Bambi #2 at our local RV service center. Less convenient, but more peace of mind.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Yeah, this is going to take on-the-scene observation, but my guess is that if your tow vehicle bottoms out ... your Bambi will also.
In particular, pay attention to black/grey tank drains as they are typically unprotected and the lowest points (not to mention unpleasant to repair.)
There are rollers sold to mount beneath RVs which might be installed in some cases, but not likely useful on an Airstream which hasn't the outer structural support to absorb such hits, and Bambi's that have no rear bumper.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
PJ1
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Cincinnati , Ohio
Steep Driveway Reply

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful advice. I am so glad my brother (Airstream owner) told me of this forum. I have been continuously thinking and realize just may have to park elsewhere!
PJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
as an aside- my driveway is new to us, our first tow was a week or so ago. Backing out was hell as it it down and around a curve. Took 3 or 4 times so get it done.
But backing in which should have been a breeze was totally different after lots rain left mud on the hill and curve. My tires on the truck spun and could not get grip to get the trailer up into its slot.
Talk about frustrated. I finally was able to maneuver it in after a number of attempts.
Then the truck got stuck a day later in the low area of the yard trying to get up the muddy hill there...A neighbor had to winch me out..We have had rain for weeks ..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Sounds like you're not alone, PJ1. We even thought of hiring a heavy equipment operator to come in and create a better driveway and parking area higher up our slope, but between the cost and the way it would spoil our current landscaping, we decided to head for the storage facility in town. Alansd, we've also had several people unable to get up our driveway in winter--two having to get winched out. But hey, we chose to live in the mountains.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstreams are designed to be close to the ground for better highway handling and minimal wind resistance. My 31 can't back into my uphill drive, unless I drop the Weight distribution bars and sink the front end down two inches. That elevates the back bumper 5 inches. If it is a dip is right by the curb, sometimes two 2x8 planks will help level it out. Airstreams are not meant to be off roaders.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
I also have a steep driveway and had a problem with my hitch dragging when I started up or pulled out. My Tundra was well balanced with the weight distribution hitch bars on but they had to taken off to make the turn up.

I added air bags to the truck to lift the rear after removing the bars and it works well. The back of the 25' Airstream was not a problem although I guess it could be if I overinflated the air bags.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Same issue. I have a new Classic and a steep slope up to the Airstream shed. My '12 28' Intl CCD BARELY made it without hitting the skids on the back of the trailer. The extra 2 feet in the new trailer require me to put an 8' long 2x10 under each wheel before I get to the zero clearance point. It is a hassle, but it works. And, due to property lines, my shed is exactly 11 feet wide....which gives me about 1 foot on either side when I back it in. I've done this backing routing since 2011 and trust me, if you take your time you'd be amazed what you can do if you set your mind to it.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote