Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I'm on my 3rd new Dometic AC for my ducted 2017 FC. The noise is as loud as the central I experienced in my 2015 International. My local AS dealer techs are puzzled as were the techs at last year's International Rally (Salem, OR). What makes it worse is that it doesn't cool as quickly as the central unit plus there's vibration that can be felt from the floor (if barefoot) and through the bed mattress at night. No one has been able to diagnose or account for the noise and vibration which. Hence, the new units. Sounds like I'm just about the only one with this issue for the ducted.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejami5 View Post
I'm on my 3rd new Dometic AC for my ducted 2017 FC. The noise is as loud as the central I experienced in my 2015 International. My local AS dealer techs are puzzled as were the techs at last year's International Rally (Salem, OR). What makes it worse is that it doesn't cool as quickly as the central unit plus there's vibration that can be felt from the floor (if barefoot) and through the bed mattress at night. No one has been able to diagnose or account for the noise and vibration which. Hence, the new units. Sounds like I'm just about the only one with this issue for the ducted.

And they can’t figure out what’s causing it, even after replacing the AC unit a couple of times?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
The new ones are a game changer. The TV was almost impossible to watch and it was very difficult to sleep with the central air turned on. But with the ducted air you can carry on normal conversations, watch TV, eat dinner and sleep in comfort.
YES, this makes all the difference in the world! I believe the ducted distributes the air way better than the central unit can.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:

My brother had the same problem in his 2017 25FC and it turned out to be a vibration from something loose in the A/C. Found, fixed, and much quiter now. I'll ask him what it was exactly.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #25
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
AC - Central vs Ducted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
It sounds like most of you are for ducted as the better option. The sound of the central must be horrendous. And let’s face it, if I purchase a new 2020 model, I don’t want to listen to a loud AC while trying to relax.

Concerning the sound bar, can you provide a photo of how you installed and mounted it? Is it mounted to the bottom of the TV so it swivels with it as a single unit?

I mounted mine under the TV. Both are fixed to the wall (not on an articulating arm). I deployed the Samsung TV Mate soundbar. Works well with its small footprint.

I also changed the standard 28” Samsung for a smart 32” Samsung screen with built in Apple TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	345699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	345700  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	345701  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Noisy vibrating ducted HVAC

Quote:
You are not alone. We had a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D with the ducted air (13,500 BTU single unit). This was our first Airstream. The ducted HVAC did a good job and we thought it was not overly loud.

We recently sold that Airstream and purchased a new 2019 FC25 RBT with the ducted HVAC (single 15,000 BTU unit). Man, it is way quieter and smoother running than the other Airstream. It also seems to cool things down pretty quick. We did not realize that the 2107 trailer was not really right. It cooled and heated just fine. Noise level and vibration was noticeable.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
You are not alone. We had a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D with the ducted air (13,500 BTU single unit). This was our first Airstream. The ducted HVAC did a good job and we thought it was not overly loud.

We recently sold that Airstream and purchased a new 2019 FC25 RBT with the ducted HVAC (single 15,000 BTU unit). Man, it is way quieter and smoother running than the other Airstream. It also seems to cool things down pretty quick. We did not realize that the 2107 trailer was not really right. It cooled and heated just fine. Noise level and vibration was noticeable.

It sounds like AS has maybe gone with a different AC on the 2019+ models? Is the “Quiet-stream” branding they’re using new for 2019/2020? That could indicate a component change.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I mounted mine under the TV. Both are fixed to the wall (not on an articulating arm). I deployed the Samsung TV Mate soundbar. Works well with its small footprint.

I also changed the standard 28” Samsung for a smart 32” Samsung screen with built in Apple TV.

Looks good! That’s a nice clean install. Which make/model soundbar is that?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #29
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
This is the sound bar:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...ar-hw-n400-za/

And this is the upgrade screen:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n32n5300afxza/
Old 07-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #30
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
AC - Central vs Ducted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13
It sounds like AS has maybe gone with a different AC on the 2019+ models? Is the “Quiet-stream” branding they’re using new for 2019/2020? That could indicate a component change.

Nope.. same penguin II units they have been using for several years.

The “quietstream” branding was introduced in 2014 with ducted air.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #31
On Airstream #5

2019 16' Sport
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2021 Interstate 19
la canada , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I’ve tried to do some searching on YouTube hoping to find a comparison video of the noise level produced by both the central and ducted air conditioning in the new Caravel and Bambi lines. I realize these are brand new models and are just beginning to ship, but hoping someone can share a comparison.
As an owner of a 2015 interstate Grand tour without ducted air-conditioning I can tell you the air conditioner is loud. The same thing in my 2019 16 foot Bambi but my 28-foot Tommy Bahama with both air conditioners going is quieter than both by a lot. My DB meter in my time, says I'm in a conversation my DB meter in the Bambi or the interstate say I'm on the side of the freeway.
danmiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #32
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
The sales brochure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4o...w?usp=drivesdk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 QuietStream Ducted AC.pdf (1,002.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I’ll have to stop by the local AS Dealer and demo both. Ducted will be the way to go, but I want to hear both to have a full understanding of the difference.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Oro Valley , Arizona
Cost difference ducted vs not

I am looking to purchase a 28’ RBT and I’m wondering if there’s a price advantage to central ac vs ducted? I understand the noise difference, but that’s not a big concern for us. More wondering if I can save more on a central ac unit?
Ajlawcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #35
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlawcz View Post
I am looking to purchase a 28’ RBT and I’m wondering if there’s a price advantage to central ac vs ducted? I understand the noise difference, but that’s not a big concern for us. More wondering if I can save more on a central ac unit?

You can save money on an older trailer. Older trailers are not ducted. I’ve had both. Ducted is a game changer. You can actually have a conversation and relax. On the 28’ ... make sure to get 2 ACs. One is not enough, ducted or otherwise.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We’ve experienced both types and are not bothered by the “noise” of the central unit. In fact I find the “white noise” helps us sleep, especially when in a noisy camp area or when we’re near someone’s generator.
The TV volume is just fine as we have an external speaker (not a soundbar but simple bluetooth speaker). The central units are simpler to maintain and cool better, which is what we use it for.
YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote