Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
Hi James, If you are going to be on those kinds of road, you may want to consider getting the rock shields installed. I have a 2018 Sport 22' and I am currently looking into them. All AS have these except Sport models.

whbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #30

Boise , Idaho
Hello James
I too live in Boise, and am a recent purchaser of of our first AS. It is a 1002, 27 FB Classic that I am assuming I purchased at the same place as you..Dealer in Caldwell, Airstream Adventures (Solid place, no issues there). I just wanted to echo some of the comments that I have read regarding your question. You are smart to ask here. There is a world of experience in owning Air Streams out in the words of Forum menbers, that I have read here. And kicked a lot to tires before the substantial investment of AS. We joined The Idaho Airstream Club too, as the members there have given lots of tips and advice on ownership, as well as all the comradery that one can hope to find in “glamping”.
I think the pride of ownership, as mentioned, will always be there for you. The AS will call to you when you are not using it. You may experience the foibles of new ownership, but you will surely come to love and delight in your trailer.
Happy trails...Idaho AS club members meet every month (first Saturday) at The Golden Corral..maybe I’ll see you down the road.

billsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Airstream 16'

If you are going out boondocking you might consider a 19' trailer. They have two waste tanks (Gary & Black) while the 16 has only one if I am not mistaken. That one tank can fill up very fast. Most common mistake is buying one size too small. Gravel roads I would definitely want rock guards. They are stainless steel and protect the trailer. Sometimes the factory has used ones if you can live with a few rock dings. There was a very nice 19' trailer listed on the classifieds a few day ago from Oklahoma.
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Oro Valley, Arizona
First of all and with all due respect, to consider an airstream or any RV and investment is to not understand the definition of investment. They are an expense and they can be a big expense. There’s a saying about boats that a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money; there are some parallels with RVs and airstreams are no exception. it’s a lifestyle, it’s a quality product that you can enjoy richly but not if you’re too “poorly”, pun intended.
As to how a single axle airstream would do in a bumpy road I would not be qualified to answer. I can tell you that all airstreams have minimal clearance compared to many other rigs so that should be a consideration and I can also tell you from my 2XL model that any shaking and vibration will cause loosening of screws and wear and tear to occur at a more accelerated rate.
One more suggestion; you might try a used model of some sort, airstream or other, at minimal cost and give the lifestyle a try before you sink larger sums of dollars into a new mode. all the best to you.
ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
Blog: ameliaairstream.com

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Lots of good advice here regarding tire pressure (sure wish I knew that trick on the way into Anza Borrego), size of rig, trying used. I wanted to chime in on the used idea: as mentioned above, the most common mistake in buying new seems to be size. You may be thrilled w your sport, but many people return their smaller rigs within a year to get something bigger. Spend a lot of time inside one on the lot, pretending to cook, use the WC, get in and out of bed to use the WC, store dirty clothes and retrieve clean ones—you get the idea. Should you decide to buy a used Sport, many with low miles are available.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
Investment?...
If you read the comments you'd understand...

But hey! Not everyone likes to read.
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You may also want to consider a lift, there are 3" (block) lifts available to give you more clearance between the sensitive plumbing and the ground when you drive through the ditch next to the road into a camping space.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Sharon Springs , NY
Just curious why you would want to beat up a new trailer? These trailers have enough problems on paved roads, especially when new. Buying a used trailer would probably be a better investment, plus it should have all of the new trailer "bugs" worked out.
Freedom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
About to make the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom21 View Post
Just curious why you would want to beat up a new trailer? These trailers have enough problems on paved roads, especially when new. Buying a used trailer would probably be a better investment, plus it should have all of the new trailer "bugs" worked out.

Folks buy new because they can, it’s easy and they feel more secure with every new, the latest and greatest and a warranty. It may be just what they do when they go to buy a car or in this case a trailer.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whbrown View Post
Hi James, If you are going to be on those kinds of road, you may want to consider getting the rock shields installed. I have a 2018 Sport 22' and I am currently looking into them. All AS have these except Sport models.

I second whbrown regarding the rock guards. We got dinged a grand when we traded in our 22 FB because it had a couple of dings from rocks where the guards would have protected.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
We were at Madison RV Resort and Marina near Yellowstone July 2018. 6 miles hard packed gravel wash board road from US Hwy. 1 clock off wall, 1 cabinet popped open (groceries everywhere- forgot 2 bungee), 1 pop rivet popped loose on exterior trim. About 10 mph. We stayed 4 nights, went in and out daily in truck. When we left we went even slower, mostly idles speed..Really nice RV Park, would go again if in the area. Went to campground in Jamestown ND 1.5 miles same condition. Ruff roads will take its toll on Airstream or any trailer. Just slow down really slow. Good luck, enjoy your Airstream and the "ADVENTURE", Airstream will take you places you never dreamed of. RVing and camping since 1980. WBCCI # 11944

sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote