Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
A/C Drain Line

We have a 2014 Sport 22FB. The roof A/C is a Dometic, and the interior A/C control panel says "Penguin" on it. For the life of me, I cannot find the A/C condensate drain line. We were using it this weekend in a very humid environment. I expected to see condensate dripping from somewhere, but did not. Can anyone give me some direction on this? Where is the drain line, and should I see dripping?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Typically the Dometics are installed in a plastic "pan" that is the size of the entire footprint of the unit. The AC has a hole on each side where the condensate drips out. Without the pan, the condensate would drip onto your shell and run down the outside. The pan catches the condensate and directs it into your condensate drain line, which is installed between your inner wall an outer skin. You should see just the end of the condensate tube sticking out of the bottom of your trailer, typically on the street side. More recently, I believe the plastic pan is going out of fashion, and the ACs may be fitted with a "cup" on each side, that catch the condensate and then direct it into your drain tube.

So, you should see condensate dripping. If you don't, it could mean one of three things:

1) Some of the newer AC units are designed to dispose of condensate by throwing it up into the exhaust air stream. I don't think the Penguins are designed to do that, though--look for a dark gray plastic pan that the entire AC is sitting in, or the above mentioned cups. If the AC has one of these then you know it isn't designed to do anything fancy with the condensate.

2) Your drain line might be plugged near the bottom. Condensate is filling the drain line, and the condensate pan and this is why you don't see it dripping out underneath. If you wait long enough, it might start dripping out of your ceiling unit inside your trailer.

3) The drain pan outlet is clogged, and all condensate is just accumulating in the pan. Again, eventually it should start dripping out onto your head.

4) If you turned on the AC, and then kept your door closed, there might simply just not be enough humidity in the air inside your trailer to result in enough condensate to make a noticeable puddle. As long as you aren't introducing humid air into the interior of your trailer, there will be only a finite amount of humid air to create condensate (plus the moisture you breathe out). As a test, you might run your AC at full blast for a while with your door and windows wide open--eventually you should see water dripping from under the trailer, or inside the unit, in the event of a clogged line.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Perfect timing on the same question I have today. BTW, I'm not kidding, I just drove thru Cannonball, ND a few hours ago. Now we are ate Jamestown, ND at Pelican Point CG. My AC started dripping inside today and was wondering where the line goes. It's after dark, and the mosquitoes would not let me get back in the trailer if I went outside to look now. Seems to me I've seen a drain line with kind of a filter drain cap on it in the refer compartment. Does the refer also have a condensate line too or could that be the AC? I'll check tomorrow when it's safer.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
find a stiff wire to run up from the bottom of the drip line.. should be easily seen under the trailer. If it doesn't come out wet, then you have a blockage or crimped line.

I would find an AS warranty place... soon.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Perfect timing on the same question I have today. BTW, I'm not kidding, I just drove thru Cannonball, ND a few hours ago. Now we are ate Jamestown, ND at Pelican Point CG. My AC started dripping inside today and was wondering where the line goes. It's after dark, and the mosquitoes would not let me get back in the trailer if I went outside to look now. Seems to me I've seen a drain line with kind of a filter drain cap on it in the refer compartment. Does the refer also have a condensate line too or could that be the AC? I'll check tomorrow when it's safer.
I wouldn't expect to see a drain line from the Refrigerator--this is probably from your AC.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Usually the drain would be streetside, almost straight down from the A/C. Ours drains right in front of the tires, so it's not quite under the A/C, but close. It's just a black rubber hose sticking down an inch or three - not much to see.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Ok, quick update. Out camping for 10 days in Marfa, Tx. Found the a/c drain line. Streetside in the wheel well. The reason I missed it before is because I was looking for water dripping on the ground. Mine drips on the tire. Just missed it.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I think I found mine but on the curb side. A white plastic line right where the propane line goes in by the water heater. I didn't have any wire to confirm yet so I'll try tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
There is a drain line for the refer. The tray under the aluminum heat sink on the upper back wall of the refer compartment, drains to the outside of the exterior access vent.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
On our 2014 27' FB, the AC drain lines are inside the street side wheel wells. We have 2 AC units and they both exit there. Not sure if the wheel well location is typical of all contemporary AS' or just on our particular model. But if you haven't already found them, you might want to have a look in the wheel well.