This is an update on our 75th Custom #6, which we found in the Portland area, early June, 2010. Last Summer, I had posted some photos of the interior on the 75th Anniversary Bambi Registry thread, inquiring about our unusual upholstery scheme. As expected, I found the backrest fabric had been changed somewhere along the line.
I sent David Winick an email with those same photos, and he had a great response - “YUK!!!”. It just happened that David had a few yards of the two original fabric colors stashed away, and I was able to purchase it from him, and brought #6 back to his original design.
Here’s a summary of all the things we’ve done to #6. Some are repairs to original manufacturing shortcuts, and others, subtle upgrades that Airstream might have done if they wanted to raise the price a little more.
The interior items:
- Re-upholstered the back rest cushions and two pillows with the correct fabric combinations.
- Replaced all the hard foam pillow forms with high quality, and much softer, cluster fiber forms.
- Removed (and saved) the pillow buttons, much softer now, and at a small cost to David’s original design.
- Replaced all the high-density foam inserts in the goucho cushions with 2” memory foam laminated to 2” high-density. Amazing improvement in sleeping (and sitting) comfort.
- Added a SS marine barrel bolt to the bed pull-out, keeping it from sliding out while moving. Also added a few clear bumpers in strategic positions to keep the toilet door and slide out from making contact when made into a bed.
- Added two chrome knobs in the toilet area, one on the door for towels, and one on the right wall for a large hanging toilet kit.
- Replaced every visible zinc, pan head, sheet metal screw with SS, truss head.
- Replaced the Sony audio/video unit with a newer and more intuitive Sony.
- Removed the CD changer, since we always use an IPod, and picked up a little more storage space. The wiring behind the TV panel was a spaghetti-like mess, now organized.
- Replaced the TV hold down footman loops with some nice marine grade SS ones, and an improved velcro strap design that cinches the TV to the wall much better.
- Shortened all of the mini blinds, so they are now taut at all times.
- Beefed up the converter mount. Airstream made the opening too large, the converter was installed crooked, and only two screws held it in place. It almost fell out on an early trip.
- Added HD magnetic catches to supplement OEM catches on all of the drawers, and removed, properly reinstalled, and adjusted all of the OEM door and drawer catches. Now they all stay put while traveling.
- Planed down all four sides of the pop-off door at floor level below the entertainment center, and added a supplementary HD magnetic catches. Also cleaned up and secured all the wiring running through this area. Now easy to use as a storage area for our sleeping bags in a compression sack. We didn't even find this storage space until this Spring.
- And last, but not least, found some nice lightweight Bodum glasses to fit the street side glass holder.
The exterior items:
- Replaced the wheels and tires with 16”. The wheels are exactly the same as used by Airstream (Dexstar), but 16” and higher rated. The tires are Michelin XPS Rib, 225/75-16, load rated E.
- Removed all of the exterior decals.
Here are the photos posted last Summer, showing the backrests with the plaid fabric.
Much better now, with the upholstery back to David's spec.
Here are the plaid fabric "Before" photos.
And the "After" photos.