Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

75th Anniversary Bambi #6

This is an update on our 75th Custom #6, which we found in the Portland area, early June, 2010. Last Summer, I had posted some photos of the interior on the 75th Anniversary Bambi Registry thread, inquiring about our unusual upholstery scheme. As expected, I found the backrest fabric had been changed somewhere along the line.
I sent David Winick an email with those same photos, and he had a great response - “YUK!!!”. It just happened that David had a few yards of the two original fabric colors stashed away, and I was able to purchase it from him, and brought #6 back to his original design.
Here’s a summary of all the things we’ve done to #6. Some are repairs to original manufacturing shortcuts, and others, subtle upgrades that Airstream might have done if they wanted to raise the price a little more.

The interior items:
- Re-upholstered the back rest cushions and two pillows with the correct fabric combinations.

- Replaced all the hard foam pillow forms with high quality, and much softer, cluster fiber forms.

- Removed (and saved) the pillow buttons, much softer now, and at a small cost to David’s original design.

- Replaced all the high-density foam inserts in the goucho cushions with 2” memory foam laminated to 2” high-density. Amazing improvement in sleeping (and sitting) comfort.

- Added a SS marine barrel bolt to the bed pull-out, keeping it from sliding out while moving. Also added a few clear bumpers in strategic positions to keep the toilet door and slide out from making contact when made into a bed.

- Added two chrome knobs in the toilet area, one on the door for towels, and one on the right wall for a large hanging toilet kit.

- Replaced every visible zinc, pan head, sheet metal screw with SS, truss head.

- Replaced the Sony audio/video unit with a newer and more intuitive Sony.

- Removed the CD changer, since we always use an IPod, and picked up a little more storage space. The wiring behind the TV panel was a spaghetti-like mess, now organized.

- Replaced the TV hold down footman loops with some nice marine grade SS ones, and an improved velcro strap design that cinches the TV to the wall much better.

- Shortened all of the mini blinds, so they are now taut at all times.

- Beefed up the converter mount. Airstream made the opening too large, the converter was installed crooked, and only two screws held it in place. It almost fell out on an early trip.

- Added HD magnetic catches to supplement OEM catches on all of the drawers, and removed, properly reinstalled, and adjusted all of the OEM door and drawer catches. Now they all stay put while traveling.

- Planed down all four sides of the pop-off door at floor level below the entertainment center, and added a supplementary HD magnetic catches. Also cleaned up and secured all the wiring running through this area. Now easy to use as a storage area for our sleeping bags in a compression sack. We didn't even find this storage space until this Spring.

- And last, but not least, found some nice lightweight Bodum glasses to fit the street side glass holder.

The exterior items:
- Replaced the wheels and tires with 16”. The wheels are exactly the same as used by Airstream (Dexstar), but 16” and higher rated. The tires are Michelin XPS Rib, 225/75-16, load rated E.

- Removed all of the exterior decals.

Here are the photos posted last Summer, showing the backrests with the plaid fabric.

Much better now, with the upholstery back to David's spec.

Here are the plaid fabric "Before" photos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	orig int front.jpeg
Views:	565
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	133661Click image for larger version

Name:	int rear.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	133662

And the "After" photos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	int front.jpeg
Views:	531
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	133663Click image for larger version

Name:	orig int rear.jpeg
Views:	550
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	133660
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Ya pay 80,000 for an Airstream ya gotta expect to fix it up a bit to make it livable.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Looks good. Its the little things that make the difference.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Ya pay 80,000 for an Airstream ya gotta expect to fix it up a bit to make it livable.
Actually, these David Winick Customs didn't sell for anything close to that when new. And we bought ours last Spring, pre-owned, so just a fraction of your number.
But you're right about the need to fix it up. Amazing what you find when you use it awhile, or look close enough.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wonderful updates and changes. This is a great post that shows how you can upgrade a slightly-used trailer with better components and materials.

I'm envious of the Winicks - I keep having dreams of buying a used 23' International and having new wood cabinetry built for it in the same vein...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
That's one fine looking Airstream!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I love it! I was @ $3000 off and lost out on one in Seattle in 09. it worked out ok because we found a great 06 CCD but yours is what started our obsession. Great looking AS!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Royal Oak , Michigan
glad i checked this post - i never knew there was floor level storage below the A/V [and i have had this trailer for 5 years!]. I am going to check it out when i get back.

we are adding stainless trim around all of the exposed wood edges on ours - the benefit of living close enough to DWs shop, i can get advice and help from the man himself!

Robert Jameson
2007 75th Bambi [# ?]
RetroPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPalace View Post
glad i checked this post - i never knew there was floor level storage below the A/V [and i have had this trailer for 5 years!]. I am going to check it out when i get back.

we are adding stainless trim around all of the exposed wood edges on ours - the benefit of living close enough to DWs shop, i can get advice and help from the man himself!

Robert Jameson
2007 75th Bambi [# ?]
Robert - I haven't been here in awhile, so just seeing you comments. Meredith was on her knees damp-mopping the floor after a trip, and just happened top spot the finger pull on that door. We'd only had Wanda less than a year, and were wondering if everyone else had spotted that storage space. Our door was a little tight to remove and replace easily, so I ran the edges through a planer to knock off about a 16th inch all the way around, so now it's easy to use.
Show us your stainless trim when it's done. Neat that you live near DW, it would be super to have such a great resource so close.
I'm sure you know this, but your Custom number is stamped on the plate to the right of the door. Is yours on the registry?
Ed
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Hi kd, thanks for all the ideas for upgrades. I'm interested in replacing the cushion green high density foam as well, hoping it'll be even more comfortable to sleep on. Could you give more detail on where you found a good replacement and how you made it fit in the cushion covers? Also, I took out the cd-changer as well, but am having trouble finding a way to connect my iPod for music and such. How do you SE your iPod with the audio system?

Thanks. Love other pictures and ideas. - Mike
mwoods3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods3 View Post
I'm interested in replacing the cushion high density foam as well. Could you give more detail on where you found a good replacement and how you made it fit in the cushion covers? Also, I took out the cd-changer as well, but am having trouble finding a way to connect my iPod for music and such. How do you SE your iPod with the audio system?
Mike - I used A-1 Foam Rubber on SE Stark at 80th. I ordered two-inch memory foam laminated to two-inch high density foam. You need to leave your existing foam cushions, which he uses to trace the shape onto the new foam, and cuts with a special band saw. He also helped us stuff the new foam into the covers, which is a challenging job. We wanted all of the goucho cushions to have the same feel, so replaced the foam in all four pieces. Our cost in January '11 was $506.
The new foam is a perfect fit. You're welcome to sit and lay on ours before deciding, just send a pm, and I'll respond.
Regarding our iPod - the receiver is connected to the iPod's headphone jack with a cable that has the mini-jack on the iPod end, splitting to stereo RCA connectors on the other, which you would be able to find at Radio Shack. Connect the iPod to the RCA connectors on the walnut panel behind the TV. Our newer audio/video receiver is set to rear aux input, and yours is probably the same.
Ed
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Guys -- where is SE Stark and 80th? I'm looking for more comfortable sleep also, but I'm in Texas.
Thanks.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco
Guys -- where is SE Stark and 80th? I'm looking for more comfortable sleep also, but I'm in Texas.
Thanks.
Hi Racoco, kd and I live in Portland, OR. I think you could ask around any foam place in Texas about the same specifications for the foam as kd describes.
mwoods3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Portland is a long way. However... not having a lot of luck with foam guys in TX. Anybody have suggestions in TX or New Mexico?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Foam in Austin

racoco

We purchased some custom cut foam (I think it was 4 inch) for a prior Airstream (1967 24 ft. Tradewind) restoration effort. See attached thread, posting #23 I think, where it shows the foam for the twins and for the bolster pillows (is that what they're called????).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...n-46197-2.html

I think it cost us somewhere around $500 for the 4 pieces of foam. I know that you're a long ways from Austin ... but if your travel plans ever bring you this direction then you could send them your dimensions and pick up the finished product on your way through.

Following is where we purchased the foam:

Polyplastics

10201 Metropolitan Drive, Austin, TX 78758-4944

(512) 339-9293

1polyplastics.com
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Dallas , Oregon
75 Anniversary Bambi

We just bought #70 of the 75th Anniversary Bambi's..Brought it back home to live again in Oregon..Have several questions about changes you made to yours. Plus many other questions like how do you turn up the hot water heater? etc........Is there anyway to email you with these questions??? or is this the best way to communicate?

Roz
rozhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Congrats on the Bambi Roz. I'd say this is the best place to ask any questions Airstream. Someone will know the answer(s).
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozhadley View Post
We just bought #70 of the 75th Anniversary Bambi's..Brought it back home to live again in Oregon..Have several questions about changes you made to yours. Plus many other questions like how do you turn up the hot water heater? etc........Is there anyway to email you with these questions??? or is this the best way to communicate?

Roz
I'm sending a PM with my contact info. I'll be glad to answer any questions.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
1977 25' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Folks,
Does anyone have a pphone # for Winick Studios?
I even have his recent book but have not been able to reach him even by email.
Thanks
Desertsunmark
desertsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi