Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks, Bob. I'll try it your way. I have been hooking on two and pounding with my hand, but straight in. I'll try outward as you suggest.

Steve.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
My experience with moon caps has been similar.....

..... they can be a PITA.

I have success though with a "chuffing" motion.

Using more like a soft karate chop with the knife edge of my hand, (rather than use the flat of my palm ) I use a slicing motion outward toward the rim edge, over the last clip to be hooked. I start about 2/3 'rds away from the center of the cap.

With your other hand, put some pressure between the other two clips, on the edge of the cap, pushing in the direction you are moving toward.

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Both my 75th and our Teardrop trailer have the baby moons. Both trailers have minor dents in their moons... near impossible to prevent it seems when you put them back on. Somebody must make a special 'moon cup' to put them back on...

No doubt I will have to learn to Chuff!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank, your suggestions worked

Thanks to ROBERTSUNRUS and B4WEDI, your suggestions helped. Just in the knick of time, we leave next week for a three month trip across the country and hopefully I now have those pesky hubcaps under control!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi75th View Post
Thanks to ROBERTSUNRUS and B4WEDI, your suggestions helped. Just in the knick of time, we leave next week for a three month trip across the country and hopefully I now have those pesky hubcaps under control!
Hey ! Glad to be of help !

Have a safe trip. Keep us posted.

Drive safe, Good Luck and God Bless !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thought I'd keep the 75th thread going, and post a shot of one of our last days camping in our 75th this fall by the lake (Columbus Day weekend).

Still loving our '40 Winker'!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #87
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

The boys are 8 & 10 this year, are you still with us.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Robert I assume you are talking to me. Ha ha. My boys are 8 and 10 and all is well. We only got out on three trips this year but were farther away and longer. Still love our bambi. All fitting fine. However i would say that now that we have gotten the hang of it. We can see ourselves trading up to a 25 or 27 FB perhaps. It would require a new tow vehicle of course so would have to wait anyway. We treat our trailer like we are camping. And while that may sound obvious. What i mean is that a larger one would be like a hotel room substitute. Less roughing it and longer stays. We love the minnesota north shore and used to spend a week a year in hotels or cottages up there and a larger trailer could take that role. The small one does sort of but not for too long. For those who are thinking about it and reading this thread. I did get the advice to go larger. And perhaps they were right but we love our trailer still and have no regrets. And if we decide to trade up some day i have no regrets about the decision we made. We may just stay with her. We shall see.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #89
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randjg1 View Post
Robert I assume you are talking to me. Ha All fitting fine. However i would say that now that we have gotten the hang of it. We can see ourselves trading up to a 25 or 27 FB perhaps. .
Not to worry it happens to a lot of us. Glad your are enjoying your Bambi. It sounds like you enjoy the same type of Stream'n we do. Most of ours being in the Adirondack St. Park with no hooks but great atmosphere.
We went from a 22ft 63 Safari to our 25 Classic, no regrets as far as usability goes, but I sure miss the old girl.

Good luck and keep us Posted. We love pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N IN THE ADIRONDACKS 1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	70186   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 185.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	70187  

Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Randy, we could compare notes on northshore campgrounds. We've done Tettegouche, Temperance, Cascade River, Grand Marais muni and C.R. Magney. The only caution is to bring a plastic jerry can for water at Tettegouche -- the one water spigot is behind the bath building & unreachable by 50' of hose. Temperance is the only state park I've been with electric hookups IIRC (sorry, I skip Gooseberry). The Grand Marais municipal campground seems packed but the location can't be beat -- and such a short walk from Angry Trout -- we prefer sites 156-162 but anything on the new loop is better than the old area. We'll use it for a night but prefer dry camping 13 miles up the hill at Kimball Lake NFS campground -- easy canoing, trout in Mink Lake...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
North Shore Bambi

Hey Bob thats some good info. This was our first year to take Bambi up there. That hill in duluth had me concerned when i was pulling with the Land Rover Discovery. Was not the right vehicle at all, got pushed around, front felt like it was lifting, etc. This year switched to Porsche Cayenne. Was a dream compared to before. So we did go up for a week. Stayed at Lambs resort. Water and sewer right at your site. Sites were private. Walk 100 yards to the water. Was great. With the four of us we dont boondock too much as we can go through the water and sewer quickly. Drove past the grand marais one, looked packed and so tight. We like to have our own space. But would be nice to spend a couple days there. We had a scare on our drive up, huge deer leaped across the road, i had to jamb on the brakes and just missed him. Everything held nice and straight. Heart pounded for next 30 minutes. Ugh. We did stay a couple days at the airstream park up by you as well. It was really nice. Met some great folks. Poked around st cloud. A great weekend.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Has anyone proposed a registry for the 75 Anniversary coaches?? Lucky ducks, we just purchased #15 today and are elated. While our 1954 is undergoing a complete body off restoration, we'll be able to hit the road in our new addition. The down side is that the '54 may now take a little longer to complete.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Has anyone proposed a registry for the 75 Anniversary coaches??
campadk had been doing this. I can't seem to find exact posts where he mentioned this. He was updating it regularly for a while. I'd imagine there will always be turnover making this difficult to maintain for long.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Actually Bob, I was keeping track of available 75th's for sale that showed in inventory at dealers nationwide. See Camp ADK - 40 Winker - Locator . At this point I think all units had been sold (I'll have to update that page).

So Lynda, you must have bought the last one? Where did you get it?

On the bright side, for anyone still wishing the 75th design, David Winick can help you out. I know he was taking one order for a custom 2008 Airstream Bambi based on his design for Airstream. See vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers

A registry would be great idea though, especially since of the limited numbers of this unit. There always seems to be some confusion on which unit we are talking about because of the whole 75th year additions so to clearify, we are talking about the David Winick custom version. ie you should have a port hole window in your door

From this thread so far I see the registry would include (hope this is correct. Some of the posts are a bit vague)... this is a start anyways...

Randjg1 - unit #?? (although he is looking at trading up to a larger unit.. bad boy
CampADK - unit #68
asherkobin - unit #??
Bambi75th - unit #18
tetstream - unit #45
SilverPal - unit #15

Corrections? Fill in your missing unit #?

So only 69 units to track down!

Just an update on us and our 75th.. we have camped 85 nights to date in our unit over the last 2 years. We past the number of days where you might say... upgrade! There is just the 2 of us, so this size is perfect for us. Any minor flaws were pretty much immediately found (as mentioned in previous threads) and nothing since. I still do get annoyed having to get up in the middle of the night to turn the heater on and off though I tend to be focussing these days are dealing with power usage (the 75th is not friendly to those without hookups).... but more on that in the spring.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Our "Winie" was sitting in a warehouse here in Ojai. We're lucky to have purchased from the original owner. She had great company, don't you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	75754  
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Our "Winie" was sitting in a warehouse here in Ojai. We're lucky to have purchased from the original owner. She had great company, don't you agree?
Lynda -

Congratulations !! Love that warehouse, and the Shelby...and the great pics from Campadk. And to confirm, we do own #45.

In regard to the "getting up in the middle of the night" to adjust the heater, so far, our solution has been our double wide sleeping bag and wool/poly blankets under and on top. I plan on moving the thermostat to the wall at the bed that partitions the shower. That's where my head is and I could reach right up to the Thermo.

Enjoy your winnie.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Update on 75th #18

#18 is coming up on 20,000 miles, having now been in 24 states.

Only one recent problem to report: the Hi-Power 3000 power tongue jack decided to quit operating in raise mode (it still will lower the tongue under power, but not raise it). I think the raise limit switch is stuck in the closed position. It goes to the dealer nxt week for repair. Sopme advice based on this - know where your manual crank for the jack is and how toi use it.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #98
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
We have #14. Our power jack did the same thing. Conked out right when we got home. Had hand winched it till we got up for some repairs. We used a socket wrench, works fine now.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Hand Crank substitute

Did you use a socket wrench because you didn't have a hand crank? My instruction book says one is provided, but I couldn't find it. I used a 3/8 inch socket extention. I put the female end over the 3/8 inch square shaft and used a cresent wrench on the male end to turn it. It worked, thank goodness, since we were many miles from anywhere where I could get it repaired.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
question about the dinette

Hi all you 75th anniversary Bambi owners! I am in the middle of rebuilding a Bambi II and am making the dinette. I have the David Winneck book & like the dinettes he has done. By looking at the picture, the table, when down, looks to be up from the bench by the thickness of the table--3/4". Is there something I'm missing? Do the backs of the benches fold down to take up the 3/4"? My dinette is very small, so I'm not sure that will work. If there is a bump of the table in the middle, is it noticeable when sleeping on it? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather ask than be sorry! Thanks all!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi