Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
dave, thanks for posting those photos. i love the interior. i'm doing a complete modernization of a '56 flying cloud and was thinking of going with stripping the paint of the interior panels and going with aluminum look but was worried it may be too much. BUT looking at your photos, i think it looks very cool and nicely compliments the wood tones. thanks so much for sharing.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Dave your slideshow was stunning and very very thorough. It was as enjoyable and informative. It was great to see all the storage bins and cabinet details. This is what Airstream should have updated on their product website. I think they definitely need a new webmaster, since most is not working nor does it have new models shown. A spread as complete as this would really give potential buyers what they need.

I almost shed a tear at the slideshow finale. Very cool. Thanks for posting.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #23
Craftsman

Dave , excellent website and slide show. Love quality work. I agree with Carol: Airstream needs a redesigned website and new webmaster. They are stiil displaying old model year photos and have signs up for months promising "photo's to come" for many models. What's up with a company earning money like they are and won't spend for a quality website or even keep the one they have updated?
Jack
Old 11-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Randy, The Bambi 19 ft 75 th anniversary is a unique Airstream. But built for
2. Consider other options. When we were looking we thought 16 ft Bambi
for 2. No let's go Bambi 19 ft. We did neither. We are new to camping so decided to go Vintage. We bought a 20 ft GT and it is small for 2...but we did not pay the price. We can sell and then do something different. Decisions Decisions...but Airstream FOR SURE.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I totally agree... Airstream like so many sites miss the boat. Its not a big job to provide more details, and photos especially on their products! They have the absolute most basic info on their site.

Heck why did we have to drive all the way down to New Jersey to see their product? All we had was a handful of photos of the 75th.

And what about the details? I had to spend hours perusing the web to find out correct info, weights, capacities. I didn't even find out the fridge size until we owned it! Actually if you look through specs and options, their isn't even mention that Bambi's have fridges! LOL

At least many realestate firms are getting wise in this regard and have very high quality walkthrough videos to entice prospective buyers.

I found the best resource for comparing Airstream models.. well at least recent models.. just go to the Colonial Airstream site (NJ dealer) and look through their extensive inventory. They have lots of photos at least, and not dot shots like on the Airstream site!

We spent hours trying to figure out what we were buying.. what the unit was supposed to come with. Certainly our dealer didn't have a clue, except for a printout off the web from another dealer LOL.

Well at least Airstream is not alone... so many places/companies lack any amount of details on their websites. And how about those campgrounds? Many parks have one or two photos... ???? Why would I drive 4 hours to camp at a place that I have no clue what it looks like or if its my style? Whats it cost to host a photo? Is the campground that bad that they don't dare show you what it looks like? LOL.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Excellent job!

Dave -- Embryonic Journey is fitting as a soundtrack for the video of your new 75th Anniversary Bambi. But I know you aren't of age to have been a 1st generation listener ... . I recall Spring of 1967 and seeing Jefferson Airplane in performance -- well before I could have used a Smily with x's for eyes!

I enjoy your enthusiasm -- we're right there with you!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
75th anniversary shortfall

The 75th anniv edition has a major drawback, compared to the other versions of the 19 Bambi, in my opinion. That is the lack of a second sink and "vanity" area. It's nice to be able to wash your hands, brush teeth, etc somewhere other than the kitchen area, especially while dishes are still draining. It's nice to be able to set up your tolietries and leave them in the cabinet during a trip, and the mirrors give my wife a place to do makeup when she wants to. With four people, both sinks will be in use more often than you may expect. One sink may be acceptable in a 16', but it seems a sacrifice to style in the 19'
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Good point Robert,

We looked closely at this and thought... heck its only a 19ft trailer.. how many sinks do we really need? I believe Winick talked about this issue in his interview. Of course there are different people and different needs. Devoting all that area to 5 minutes of use in the morning and evening just didn't make sense for our usage but might be a necessity for others. Of course the vanity is available in the Safari and CCD, Winicks version provides campers an alternative.

The openiness of the 75th is what easily sealed the deal for us.

Personally I don't see the 75th as a choice for anyone considering any amount of camping with 4 people. The Safari or CDD would be a better choice. There is more space for day use, for 4 people in the 75th, but the dinette isn't really designed to sleep 2 people... especially 2 adults. Its really better suited to a smaller child as the head and foot areas are storage, not removable cushions like the CCD or Safari. I believe I measured this area at 72 or 74" and about 36" wide? Not definate on those dimensions...

For 2 though it works great!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Agree with Robert

We looked at one of the 75th anniversary editions but ended up with the Safari version. For us and our needs, it works better. More storage, better layout, agree with Robert on the sinks, etc. And, the model we saw - at $60K +) had the same kinds of fit and finish issues that are bugging me about mine.

The design is innovative and creative but I think it would be something I would get tired of. Kinda like a "theme" room on Trading Spaces!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
We have the 16' CCD and absolutely love it! Easy to tow with the Ford Expedition and very easy to park. We've been able to find campsites when the campground was nearly full and a larger unit would have been turned away. One disclaimer: there are only the two of us (plus two English Bulldogs). We've found that it's easiest to share the rear bed (I'm 6' and my wife is 5-10) with one of the dogs while the other dog sleeps under the bed in front of the cabinets.
My wife loves to cook (but hates to wash dishes); I don't mind doing the dishes, so we apportion the duties. The 16' will NOT accomodate two people cooking at once, so I'm either outside or at the dinette while meals are prepared (the dogs, of course, are underfoot).
We live in a rainy climate, so "camping" means being in the trailer more than some of you might experience in other areas. A good book helps...that, and wrap-around windows front and back. The wrap-arounds were really worth the extra price since they give greater light and a feeling of airiness (sp?). That's probably the only feature of the 75 I don't like - the sacrifice of light for style. Otherwise, I am just awestruck by the beauty of the 75's interior and exterior.
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
The design is innovative and creative but I think it would be something I would get tired of. Kinda like a "theme" room on Trading Spaces!
Guess we all see the same thing differently. We found the 75th to be a more classic design compared to the CCD. The only 'theme' item in the 75th, one could say, would be the two lamp shades by the dinette. Otherwise it's a timeless classic design thats been around for eons. Pretty neutral as well for any 'decorating'.

Like you jglabrown we were initially disappointed that the 75th didn't have the front wraparound window. But actually you don't sacrific light as David put in the bigger galley window and added 3 vista view windows. This brings in a lot of light, especially since they are at a higher angle.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Currently out of the 75 built, there are 39 units on dealers lots, and one on ebay. So basically about 1/2 the units are now owned by campers, the other 1/2 will likely be sold over the winter and summer of 2007.
Dave ... It would be interesting to me to know where the 37 that have been sold are located. I will have #18 in New Mexico and you have #68. Know where any of the others are?

Steve
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi75th
Dave ... It would be interesting to me to know where the 37 that have been sold are located. I will have #18 in New Mexico and you have #68. Know where any of the others are?

Steve
Nope. Would be a fun project, but chances of finding all the owners would be slim I think.

Did you buy from Holiday Travel Sales? I had them down as the only dealer in NM with 75th's.

When do you take delivery? Did you get the solar option on yours? Seems to be only two configurations sold.

Congrats again... great choice! Post some photos once you get it out on the road.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes, bought it at Holiday Travel Trailers. I saw in you list of dealers that they has two 75ths but as far as I know I bought the only one they had. Maybe they had already sold the other one?

They agreed to store it for us until we purchase a tow vehicle. So delivery date is not set yet.

Did not get the solar option.

Steve.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Bellevue , Washington
New Purchaser

Ok, I'm in the process of locating, purchasing, and transporting a 75th. No places in my state currently have them. They are trying to get one. There is one in Oregon but they won't budge from MSRP. I located one in far away state that will give it to me for $55,500. Of course there is the whole sales tax issue that I have to deal with. Once I register it in my state I have to pay the sales tax (8.8%), so obviously I don't (and am not) going to pay tax twice.

So the legal deal is that the dealer has to transport the trailer to the state line, complete the transaction and then I can avoid the local sales tax. They charge $750 for this.

Of course before this, I have to be at the dealership for prep and paperwork. So I either fly down and do this separately ($200) or drive down, and follow the transport to the state line, hook up and continue back home.

Oh, and another thing is that I wanted to get this done before the end of the year for federal tax purposes but that's not gonna happen b/c my bank is't going to be able to fund me for at least a week or two. So that's off the table.

The logistics are becoming a pain in the butt.

Thoughts?
asherkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Buy in No Tax State?

If dealer in Eugene area inflexible on price (hypothetically...) you might try finding another dealer in a state without sales tax (like Montana or ??) to see if transaction would be simpler and do-able with single trip, and no hired transporter...

You might also find dealer can arrange financing that you could then pay off when your bank gets its act together, and still count it as purchase in tax year 2006.. You would have to take "possession" of it somehow to make that work.

Not easy, but it could be done with busy week next week...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #37
_

. , .
hi asherkobin and welcome to the forums...

2 thoughts...

-hastily made decisions are bigger pains in the butt...longer.

-sales tax is usually/only paid in the state you live in/register the trailer...doesn't matter if they deliver it or you pull it home. often the dealer will have a form the buyer signs regarding sales tax for out of state buyers...

your description of the sales-tax-two-step is very very odd...

one last thought...

enjoy the trailer!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi75th

Steve

There a a couple in New Jersey at an Airstream dealer and one or two on the northwest coast at another dealer.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Upgrade To Larger Model?

On average, how long would you say it takes the average AS-er to upgrade to a larger unit?

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkobin
Of course there is the whole sales tax issue that I have to deal with. Once I register it in my state I have to pay the sales tax (8.8%), so obviously I don't (and am not) going to pay tax twice.
Many states have reciprocal agreements on sales tax - you should check it out with your local Department of Motor Vehicles (and/or their website) before you go crazy trying to avoid double paying.

I had the same situation this year - I live in New York and the nearest 16' Quiksilver was in Florida. I bought it from the photos and payed them to tow it up here. When I went into the DMV to register the trailer they deducted the Florida sales tax I had payed from the tax I owed NY.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 bambi