Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, at least you know what you want. That is a good thing. Funny, I had only seen new Airstreams and ended up buying one used of a style very different- with covered walls and no panos. I had never seen such. Now, I don't mind it at all but I understand that some people want those windows. One pano in the front would be nice but the 40" window is not too bad.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We will be traveling out of town in a few weeks, and plan on stopping into a dealer about 3 hours away the other direction. They have a few different units on the lot.

What should I look at closely on the 4 bambis to compare? And what on the largers?

What are some things that you didn't think of until you were out camping or driving?

Any thoughts on the FC vs International as to details that I should explore?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
What do any owners out there have to say on rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?

Piggy Bank
Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Can somebody recommend a good dealer near Jacksonville? I am willing to travel for a good deal, but would like to know if y'all have any input of dealers close to this area. Thx ... I heard of Colonial in NJ and another dealer in Colorado were good....thx
Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?
I have the sliders. I like how the lights in the overhead storage areas diffuse out thru the sliders and into the rest of the trailer. When I need just a little bit of light (which is most of the time) I often will turn on the lights in an overhead bin. I also like the fact that when they are closed, they are closed. I don't ever worry about them getting jostled open during travel. I use a little Velcro wrap to tie the finger holes together so that the doors don't open (just in case).

What I don't like is that they seem to unnecessarily limit the size of the largest object that I can place in the overhead storage compartment. This is by no means a deal-breaker since larger items can be stowed elsewhere.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
What do any owners out there have to say on rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?
We sometime go down some rough roads and for that reason love the tambour doors, they stay closed. We find no fault with their use.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #127
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I am both ways on the rollups. They work fairly well, stay down and look good, but if you jam something against them they give you hell to pay. We HAD a silverware holder that didn't get pushed back all the way and a fork got stuck in it. Nasty ding now. Other than that they have been without problems and are actually easy to see if they are not closed all the way.

I would prefer the other type like on the 19, but they work.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #128
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
My wife and I are retired and have found that tent camping is no longer for us. We have been looking at Airstreams for about a year on. We are trying to decide between a 19' and 20' Flying Cloud. We like the layout of the 20' a little better. Any thoughts, recommendations, or cons from current owners? We will not be doing a lot of boondocking only when no other place to stay. We would like to go 3 to 5 weeks at a time twice or several times a year. These trips would be 750 to 1000 miles each, mostly to National and/or state parks. Our TV is 2004 Fourrunner with a V8. Any thoughts and seguestions would be great.
dmlocklair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #129
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Im between those 2 models too, I think it will all come down to the kitchen. For me I think the 19s kitchen is to small.....
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We actually prefer the 19 layout over the 20. Here are our thoughts for consideration.

Got to see a 19 in person over the weekend (*Thank you very much Brad!)

I would have to say that we really like the pano window for the dinette on the 19.

The kitchen in the 20 IS very nice, in particular the extra counter space, and double sink. But the table area is along the galley and no pano (at least there are 2 windows, instead of only 1 like the 22 has).

We just liked the separation between the sleeping/grooming area, and the kitchen and seating area and door much better in the 19 (and 16 for that matter). I know for the 2 of us that we will have 1 person up and ready first, and working on a meal (breakfast in the morning, or dinner at the end the day), while the second person will be getting cleaned up and ready. I like the fact that the dressing area in the 19 is out of the way of the kitchen, doorway, and table area.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #131

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
I love the 20. As a 16 owner I would say we picked it over the 19 for 2 reasons. Better bed size and better kitchen layout. The 19 would be perfect and we would have bought one if only they ditched the second sink and made it counter space for the kitchen. You need 2 sinks within 3 feet of each other in a small camper like you need fleas. The bed on the 19 is easier to make than the 16 or 20 will be (20 is probably slightly easier than the 16 because you can reach behind the dinette easier).

We thought the 19 could be a very much more appealing camper by removing the second sink and increasing the kitchen counter that much. In practice the extra inches on the bed are probably not needed, but whatever.

The pano window over the bed on the 20 would give great airflow, unlike the 16. The 2 windows at the table are fine and don't force you to look at the butt end of your tow vehicle. If weather is permitting we eat outside anyway. The only complaint I have heard that we would consider legitimate for us on the 20 is the size of the holding tanks. But look at what we bought......you can work around that.

The finishes on the 19 are a lot better than the 16 and the extra holding and dry bath would be nice. But we didn't feel it was worth the extra dollars. The 20? I could see it. But we are happy with the 16 very much. And we can store it in our storage shed.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #132
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Same feeling about the 2 sinks next to each other on the 19 and lack if counterspace. Otherwise would be perfect 😞.......
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Regarding FC20'FB layout & kitchen...as many others posted, you really need to access your own personal needs & prioritize what is important to you...kinda of similar to house hunters on HGTV but Airstream Hunters....keep revisiting models when you have narrowed choices either limited by towing, storing, tow vehicle and budget.

We are really happy with the FC 20 C layout and now after just completing our first weekend shake down...could not be happier. Another consideration is what type CG or sites you will be utilizing as your water & energy consumption is a huge factor. Since we will be staying at state & national parks....most have either no hook ups or only electrical.
Our first trip, only electrical & extra sink was great for water conservation w. one side wash & other rinse. Two people showering, cooking & clean up consume lots of water & carrying Rhino jugs to refill fresh water tank are heavy. But again everyone needs to figure out what's best for them.
Good luck & have fun Airstream hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #134

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
I agree with what fcloud9 said. But I think you are smart asking for opinions. I have heard things here I did not think about when looking. What might be a deal-breaker for me will mean nothing to you. But you might notice something about it you had not thought of. All good.

If you decide on the 16 make the bed with a set of your own sheets before you buy. My better half sounds like a (fill in your own thingy here) when she does it. When I do it the neighbors cover their children's ears. We are seriously considering getting a Tempurpedic and cutting it 2 inches smaller width and length to make it easier.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks Airrogant. It will be something to consider. Unfortunately our closest dealers are 3 hours away. Because of that there are few units in our local areas that show up.
DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HERE:

If a 3 hour trip to visit a dealer is a major obstacle...
how often are you going to pack up and drive 100 miles to go visit a national park, tourist attraction or other venue. Are you REALLY planning to change your whole lifestyle to go RVing?

Airstreams are pretty & cool, and have that certain something that big old white boxes don't. However a lot of RV's get used two or three times, then sit in a yard or barn or storage lot and slowly decay. If you currently like to travel, and tent camp or van camp or even hang out in hotels, then an RV makes sense. If your idea of heaven is sitting in your den watching TV and hanging out no further away than a shopping center within 20 miles of home, perhaps you should invest in a backyard pool, a monster flatscreen, or join some local country club, gun club, sewing circle, etc.

Paula
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
We miss the ease of access of the FC overhead storage and would trade the Int sliders in an instant! For us, it is a giant step backwards!

I still miss the FC 20; it IMHO is the best value for the $ .
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Paula,
I hear what you are saying.

As to the 3 hours from a dealer thing, mostly what I am getting at is that my local area has very few units close by for sale, new or used. The area has a LOT of RVs and trailers for sale in my local area, because Branson and the Lake of the Ozarks is close. But just not many Airstreams, all SOBs.

So because the market is underserved by Airstream, it is hard to see and touch them. The dealer in Springfield MO had some units, but not all we wanted to view. We are planning to stop in Des Moines when traveling soon to see what they have there. Both dealers are about the same driving distance from where we live.

Not that I wouldn't drive 3-4 hours for a fun weekend. I just think it's a PITA to have to do that for shopping or service.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #138
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Well, we just got back from 3 nights camping at the Lionhead CG at Priest Lake in Idaho. We got into a site limited to 18' trailers. In fact, the entire CG had very few sites for anything bigger: the white box SOBs mostly camp further south at the Indian Creek CG, where all the noisy motorboats are. All but 2 or 3 sites at Lionhead were back-ins.

Priest Lake | Idaho Parks & Recreation

What we got with the site was our own private stretch of white sand beach, perfect for relaxing, swimming, and launching our canoe. I could sleep at night with the rear shade up, catching the view of the lake through the trees.

But as Paula said, it really depends upon what you want, where and how often you plan to camp. We try to head out for one long or two short trips per month in the summer, with an emphasis on camping in beautiful natural settings "the way it used to be," plus a few extra creature-comforts like a hard-sided trailer with an indoor toilet.

I don't mean to keep pushing the "little guy"-- it's not like I'm in the Bambi retail business. But in the belief that other first-time RV-seekers might read this thread and think they shouldn't get an AS at all if they can't afford a large one (or the vehicle to tow it, &c,) I hope I've offered an alternative perspective.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Jeanne,
Thanks for the comments. We really liked the layout and interior of the 16. Probably best of any we have seen so far.

Thanks to a great forum member her in my city (**thanks Brad) we got to see a 19 last weekend. We like it a lot as well, but driven on pure layout we are very torn between the 2.

19 can get an oven, and 2 waste tanks instead of 1. But the 16 with the layout of the bed is ideal.

We are going to see a 16, 19, 22, and 23 next week at another dealer. I think that will be a good assortment for us to see together. This dealer also sounded more informed which I am also looking forward to getting their perspective.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi Piggy!

Where should I start? We love the 16' Sport because:

1. Everything stays in the tambours (I've heard the flip ups can open!) And they hold a lot.

2. I like that the "bedroom" does NOT have the pano! No morning light to wake us when we want to sleep in. (I keep a room darkening shade behind the curtain, too)

3. The bathroom door facing the main door works for us, but others like the newer design.

4. I DO NOT need an oven. We have never, ever said "Boy, I wished we had an oven right now. We do use the microwave on occasion. But generally it's the place for chips, cereal etc.

5. We make the one sink work just fine - even with contact lenses.

6. We can pull in anywhere.

7. We didn't need to get a new car.

8. Lately, we didn't put up the dinette. We've been leaving it down, covering the bottom with a grey sheet, added a bunch of throw pillows and it's a nice lounge. A legged tray is easy to pop up to eat on if we can't eat outside.

9. Perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT: The storage under the bed! Not one other AS has the amount of storage as the 16'. We keep everything in there!!! No clothes but all the service items, hoses, bbq, tools, chairs, table, step stool, all the storage boxes and them some!

10. The shower is fine. We use it all the time. We have never used the "outdoor" shower. Just because we think it would be a muddy mess until I figure something to drain the water away from the rig.

The longest we have been out has been 12 days. The longest without any hook up was 5 days. The clean tank vs dirty tank is easy.

This was our first venture into RVing and we made the absolute perfect decision with the 16'. We will never let it go!

Good Luck!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote