Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
The used 16s I have seen on the classifieds are listed for about as much as new 16 sports. Thus our dilemma on getting new/full warranty vs. used with a beefier trailer and pano windows.
I don't think that very many of the people listing their 16's for sale in the classifieds are selling them at their listed prices.

If you want to get an idea what these trailers are really selling for you should watch eBay for a little while. My research leads me to believe that you can buy a more-desirable, better-equipped, hardly-used 16' trailer for $10k less than a new unit. In a few cases I've seen older, but "nearly-new" trailers go for more than $15k less than the cost of a brand-new trailer. If the trailer is local you're in great shape, and you'll save even more. If it isn't go pick it up, or have it shipped to you. Shipping costs are probably in the $1.00 - $1.25 per mile range. If you have a dealer near you then plan to take the trailer to them after you receive it so that they can assess any work that they recommend. You can still save thousands by buying used, having it delivered, and having your AS dealer work out any significant bugs.

Financing a used trailer can be difficult so you might want to get all those ducks in a row before you get too serious about any used trailer purchase.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks Airrogant. It will be something to consider. Unfortunately our closest dealers are 3 hours away. Because of that there are few units in our local areas that show up.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #115
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Gosh, Renderit, are you making me an offer? I might be tempted to sell ours, so that I could get the 31-footer I've always wanted but I don't think Len would part with it.

BTW, ours weighs 3500 lbs. I don't know the weight of the new Sports.

Our nearest dealership is Airstream of Spokane, about 3 hours from us. We've found them very good to deal with on service appointments. I did learn from the owner that there is a strong market for used Bambis.

We got ours at Can-Am in London, Ontario when it was two years old, and hardly used. They were also good to deal with. One advantage of getting ours from the dealership, whatever we may have lost on the sale price, was Can-Am's warranty on their used trailers. The warranty turned out to be the best deal ever, because once we seriously took Bambi on the road, we found all kinds of things wrong with it: the worst was having the back cupboard pull out and fall on the bed while traveling from Ontario to BC. The furnace kept blowing fuses, one of the seams leaked, and so on. Fortunately (knocking on wood) once we got these problems cleared up we've not had anything major go wrong for a while.

PiggyBank, I think would-be AS owners kind of have to go where the model they want is located. It may be a ways from home. My daughter-in-law's parents traveled from Colorado to California to get theirs. Fortunately there are mechanically knowledgeable members on this forum who will save you a trip and inspect a likely AS for you, if one happens to live in in the area where a likely AS comes up for sale. Periodically there are threads about scams of con artists claiming to have an AS for sale, when they really don't, so if you use an on-line market place to buy from an individual, just be super careful.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Coming in late here.... One of the 25' units has a very large rear bathroom, the largest of any current units, I believe. Plus, one can walk around the bed. But as noted, you might be best advised to attend an Airstream rally and look at all the different coaches, then after listening to everyone tell their story you can make an informed decision.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Jeanne,
That is good info. I guess that the upside of wanting to buy in about 2 years or so is the luxury of time to learn more, and to watch the ads. With no dealer close, we actually may be better off buying one close to a locale with a good dealer, so we can test-run locally, or stop off at the factory on the way home to get things shipshape. It is just a tough call.

We are not DIY types, so we would need a good service provider to help out.

So that brings up a point of, just like cars, what types of problems need to be seen at an Airstream dealer, and what types of problems can be addressed by any competent SOB dealer with good aptitude? How much of Airstream diagnostic and maintenance needs Airstream factory trained mechanics?

Winterizing?
Wheel and brake inspection and maintenance?
Appliance maintenance ?
Plumbing help?

I think that it would be fairly important for any leak issues to make the trip to an AS dealer, but where do these other more "standard maintenance" items fall on that spectrum?

Thanks again to all who are helping on this thread with their knowledge!!
Julie

Piggy Bank
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Good for you. A couple in my church just got a used ocean breeze 16'- really neat. I like that silver jelly bean look! Airstreams are so unique and each model has so many differences. It helped me greatly to have forum members banter back and forth on various models and what they have considered or worked through using their stream. That is what is so cool about this forum. Like I shared my preference for the 23C L-lounge- dropped from production. Apparently most did not like it but the lounge layout and freed up floor space was beneficial- IMO. So now you have decided on the 16', and you will love it!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
4 Bambi Models-feature differences

There are one of those special edition 16' models DW or whatever in the classifieds. He added a bunch of stereo equipment but negotiation is a good thing and it's in FL just in time for a vacation.

Oh, and a 16' sport in Kanas!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Rod,
I saw those. The DWR with 10K of electronics. No thanks. I want to "unplug".

That 16 with the icky layout and no front pano. Also a no-go.

I would compromise to the sport 16 without the rear pano, but no way would I buy anything without the front pano.

I do quite like the 16 from Indiana with the double panos.

too much,
too little,
Just right

Piggy Bank
Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, at least you know what you want. That is a good thing. Funny, I had only seen new Airstreams and ended up buying one used of a style very different- with covered walls and no panos. I had never seen such. Now, I don't mind it at all but I understand that some people want those windows. One pano in the front would be nice but the 40" window is not too bad.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We will be traveling out of town in a few weeks, and plan on stopping into a dealer about 3 hours away the other direction. They have a few different units on the lot.

What should I look at closely on the 4 bambis to compare? And what on the largers?

What are some things that you didn't think of until you were out camping or driving?

Any thoughts on the FC vs International as to details that I should explore?

Piggy Bank
Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
What do any owners out there have to say on rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?

Piggy Bank
Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Can somebody recommend a good dealer near Jacksonville? I am willing to travel for a good deal, but would like to know if y'all have any input of dealers close to this area. Thx ... I heard of Colonial in NJ and another dealer in Colorado were good....thx
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?
I have the sliders. I like how the lights in the overhead storage areas diffuse out thru the sliders and into the rest of the trailer. When I need just a little bit of light (which is most of the time) I often will turn on the lights in an overhead bin. I also like the fact that when they are closed, they are closed. I don't ever worry about them getting jostled open during travel. I use a little Velcro wrap to tie the finger holes together so that the doors don't open (just in case).

What I don't like is that they seem to unnecessarily limit the size of the largest object that I can place in the overhead storage compartment. This is by no means a deal-breaker since larger items can be stowed elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
What do any owners out there have to say on rolling tambor doors (sport) vs flip up cabinets (flying cloud) vs sliders (international )?
We sometime go down some rough roads and for that reason love the tambour doors, they stay closed. We find no fault with their use.