Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #71
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
And another aside, I guess it's what you see in each unit on the floor plan. Cheryl and I always loved the layout of the 20' just could not justify spending that much cash. Go figure...If the 16 had 6-8 inches more in the bed area with 2 small screened windows at each end on the bed (and the current back window) it would be perfect for us.

I'd like more counter as well, but we do cook outside whenever we get the chance, and eat out there, and wash dishes out there as well. So it works.

The table is a nice size (though I caution you to examine the edges of the melamine closely to see some wonderful cover up for dull tools). And the seats are pretty good. The TV folds way out so you have good viewing at the table to get your nightly weather report. We replaced the TV with a larger unit as the supplied Sansui was pretty bad color wise. But it works well.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Fantastic fan sells a 12 volt box fan. Works great. Jim

Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Treason

If you're looking at small Airstreams, do yourself a favor and look at Oliver trailers.

They have a 4 season 22 ft, dual axle trailer that will almost cure aluminitis.

Home Oliver Travel Trailers

Paula
Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
The TV folds way out so you have good viewing at the table to get your nightly weather report. We replaced the TV with a larger unit as the supplied Sansui was pretty bad color wise. But it works well.
What size, brand tv did you get? Did it fit on the existing mount? Mine works well, but doesn't come out far enough to see on the exterior door side of the dining table.

Re bathroom door location. I have noticed different Sport 16' show the door on the galley and on the dining table side. Mine is on the dining table side, which I think makes more sense. It never blocks the sink, bed areas.

Sorry about misunderstanding your comment on "Wet bath". Yes, it IS a wet bath. I thought you were saying it stayed wet all the time. I didn't like it much at first, but now dry camping more, I love it. You should try it a few times.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #75

2014 16' Sport
We put in a (24 I think?) Samsung, shelf, and a Bluray player. It fit the mount (used a different set of holes on it) and it comes out far enough to view from the outside location if you replace a few cables. It does stick out about 2 inches when folded and stowed. They kinda put in a short coax. Easy enough to fix, just get the kind with braided wire so it can flex. Mine was just long enough to reroute and works. The Bluray is double sided to the shelf.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #76

2014 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Sorry about misunderstanding your comment on "Wet bath". Yes, it IS a wet bath. I thought you were saying it stayed wet all the time. I didn't like it much at first, but now dry camping more, I love it. You should try it a few times.
Now you say I stink? Sheesh...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Now you say I stink? Sheesh...
lol. No, I think it's that fish that smells!

Nice job on the tv, shelf and blu-ray. I was thinking of getting a vertical mount blu-ray, but you got me wondering.

I notice you have the side of the throne bath door. I wonder why they changed that from the front, like mine. Maybe to clean behind the toilet easier?? It can probably be pre-ordered either way.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
OK, back to my laughable desire for privacy.

Tell me if this is right or not.

It seems to me that the present 16 layout with the bath door opening by the galley does allow for the privacy curtain to be drawn and a user to take a shower, dry off, and dress all behind the curtain. Which is not that particularly important, unless one feels that the gesture of separation and illusion of privacy is what will keep you from feeling completely overwhelmed by the close conditions. I go back to the idea that I can imagine frequently having 1 person shower and dress first, and then begin to prep for a meal while the second showers and dresses. And if the person doing meal prep is going in and outside to do so, that the second person (which would me moi) would prefer not to flash everyone within 50 yards of the door.

Is this making sense or am I nuts (about this .. LOL!!)

Also I like to look good, and I remember noticing when we viewed the current 16 that you could open the medicine chest door mirror, open the bathroom door, and stand in the "hallway" and use the mirror without having to be in the bathroom, which I found appealing and is one of the things I like (in theory since I haven't seen in person) of the 19 over the 20.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
OK, back to my laughable desire for privacy.

Tell me if this is right or not.

It seems to me that the present 16 layout with the bath door opening by the galley does allow for the privacy curtain to be drawn and a user to take a shower, dry off, and dress all behind the curtain. Which is not that particularly important, unless one feels that the gesture of separation and illusion of privacy is what will keep you from feeling completely overwhelmed by the close conditions. I go back to the idea that I can imagine frequently having 1 person shower and dress first, and then begin to prep for a meal while the second showers and dresses. And if the person doing meal prep is going in and outside to do so, that the second person (which would me moi) would prefer not to flash everyone within 50 yards of the door.

Is this making sense or am I nuts (about this .. LOL!!)
Theoretically true, except the space is so small I don't think an adult could get dressed behind the divider with out bumping into the person at the sink. It's still the same space. You can't stand there and open the bathroom door without pushing the divider out a couple of feet to make room for the door to swing. It's that small.

One benefit I see to the divider is helping split the airspace so the furnace doesn't have to work as hard on a cold night heating the rest of the trailer.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Paula,
That Oliver is an interesting product.

But not enough windows for me. One thing I really dislike about most SOBs is the lack of a pano window at the hitch.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Skooter,
Great point about the hvac being partitioned with the curtain.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Oh and Renderit,
Saw another post that you are looking at vehicles. Just want to say that I really am enjoying my "Made in San Antonio" Tundra. Would recommend a look-see if you haven't yet.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #83

2014 16' Sport
I see you are living near where I used to. Topeka for 20 some years.

I have not driven a Tundra. I like the look just fine, but I want an American truck because there are more dealerships where I plan to move to in a couple of years (Wyoming). And yes it is made in the US and I like Toyota's just fine. My FJ is a 2007 and I am NEVER letting it go. In 30 years it will be rusting behind the barn.

I answer to the "mirror" question, you have that right. And it is tight, but private. I do not use mirrors, I generally cover them....

And in answer to the Rich question, yeah, the new "side loader unloader" bathroom door. Actually I think I would prefer it on the entrance side. The damn light switch is over there anyways...and as soon as I shut the door against my shoulder it feels more cramped.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #84
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Markj5, Skooter, and rederit-- Just back from 3 great nights* in the Bambino-- I appreciate your comments because I think you "get" what the Bambi's smaller eco-footprint is all about.

(*The Riondel,BC municipal campground-- and we got one of the lake front sites. http://www.campriondel.ca/ )

PiggyBank-- I just took a shower in the wet bath on this trip, as well, because there was some question mark as to whether the campground shower in the ladies' room was dispensing actual hot water. (As per a woman wrapped in nothing but a beach towel on the washhouse steps, calling to the campground host.) Len doesn't mind smelling like a guy (oops, sorry, dear) so I think he's only used the Bambi shower once, but I use our little shower whenever I need to and it is hot and/or windy enough outside to dry out the loo afterwards (unless it's a longer sojourn in a waterless desert site.)

Privacy? You could have one person on the bed with the folding door closed, leaving you with the dinette/kitchen area to yourself. The door screens off the bed and closet. Generally I just announce that I'm taking a bath, and he goes outside. The rule is that when the outer door is open, I'm dressed. But what the heck? We've been married a long time, and I close the shades to outsiders.

We don't dump most of the shower water down the waste tank without a sewer hookup. Rather, we carry stackable flexible plastic dishpans. One goes on the toilet lid and I stand in one. Take a cup in with you. Turn the shower on to get wet. You will now have some warm water in these tubs.Turn off shower. Soap up. Use the clean water in the upper tub to rinse off via the cup. Turn on shower again for a final rinse. Turn off shower. When you are dressed, toss the tubs' gray water in the bushes or in the utility sink if the CG has one. Wipe up water in the wet bath with rags, and air out Bambi.

We also have a rule about one person engaged in a stand-up activity at a time. If one person is washing up or cooking, the other person sits quietly on the bed or dinette bench. Otherwise, you do engage in a do-si-do manoever. Probably schedule your activities so that, while one person is showering & un/dressing, the other person stays put-- either in or out.

Len gets claustrophobia (truly) from small spaces, but not in the Bambi unless he had to sleep in the inside (hence we put down the second bed at night) and I am old enough to need too many trips to the loo to climb over him in the middle of the night.

Thankfully we're out-of-doors whenever possible, and then if it's not windy but rainy or very sunny we can put down the awning for another reading area.

PiggyBank, I'm not saying that the sixteener is right for you. It might not be. But A little ingenuity solves most of the problems you might have with it.