Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Grand Saline , Arkansas
2918 sport 22 tire tools

I bought a new 22 sport Bambi. I am wondering what jack I need for tire changing and tools. Any help would be appreciated
Clintkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

Grand Saline , Arkansas
2018 22 FB sport tire tools and javk

I purchased a new sport 22. I need to know what jack I need and tools since it didn’t come with the trailer. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
2918 sport 22 tire tools

Clint,

Welcome to Airforums.

Single axle right? Good to be prepared.

First might want to look in the Airstream manual for directions.

What is your tow vehicle? If a full size pickup or similar the jack just might surprise you for use on the trailer.

AS might have a JACK point identified under the body.

If I was raising your trailer I’d put the jack right under the strong vertical frame that the axle is bolted to. Chock opposite tire and proceed. Also look at the lug nuts. Do they have stamped caps on them or solid? Check fit of socket to wheel for clearance. 1/2 drive breaker bar to loosen and tighten nuts and torque wrench recommended for final tightening.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The big tire tool you need is the proper lug wrench. Since we're talking about a 2019, what lugs it has .... only a guess. Better to be sure you get the right one than to guess.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
I bought a 12 Ton adjustable bottle jack and a 25" breaker bar from Harbor Freight. I tried to get you pictures but, after much ado, I failed. The last straw was my files are a few bytes too big. You either need some blocks to get the jack near the "Jack" point (clearly marked on each side behind the wheels) or a screw top (adjustable) jack. This is because you only get 7" of travel out of a bottle jack and you don't want to waste any of that just to start raising the frame. I chose the adjustable jack because it is more precise. I know 12 tons is too big but it has a larger base and is more stable. Next you need a 13/16" thin wall deep socket. This is because the fancy wheels won't allow either a lug wrench or a thick wall socket. Buy a good one as the forces on it are large. I got a short extension (2") and a 25" breaker bar because sometimes the lugs are really difficult to get loose especially on the side of the road. It also makes it easier to get tightened enough to make it to the next stop (presumably a tire shop). All of these are 1/2" drive and total cost was under $60. Of course you need extra blocks or chocks for the other side while working. I would only jack it in the location that Airstream marks underneath. Both my Sport and Flying Cloud have these marks. My Sport only had 5 lugs while the Cloud has 6.

Good luck!
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #6

Grand Saline , Arkansas
Great info!!!!!

I am new with an airstream, was really surprised it didn't come with the jack and wrench. Anyway thanks for all the info it was exactly what i needed.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Clint,

One thing not to do or let any tire shop do. Don't put a jack under the axle tube to lift the trailer. That is the black square tube that goes across the trailer. It's not for lifting.

Make sure what ever you use can't slip from the lift point. Personally I use a jack from a 1 ton full size pick up and they have a floating saddle, holds nicely on the frame for me on my 30'.

But you are ahead of the game figuring this out before hand.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote