Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
22FB Single Axle Sport Owners Who Have 16" Michelin Tires ???

I'd liked to know how many of you out their have actually got rid of your GYM 15" & had the 16" Michelin put on your single axle trailer?. Where you had it done ... at the Airstream Plant or else wear ? I have decided to make the switch, but the 8 Hr drive & $400 per tire/wheel not including labor has me wanting to find another source.
__________________

__________________
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
I put 16" wheels and tires on my '74 20' Argosy and my '14 FC 20, both single axle trailers.

The wheel is a Sendel T03. You can order it online or a local tire/wheel dealer can probably get them for you. I got my tires at Costco.

I paid about $125 each for the wheels, and as I recall, about $175 each for the tires.

Tires and wheels are available everywhere, no need to go to the Airstream factory for them.
__________________

__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I put 16" wheels and tires on my '74 20' Argosy and my '14 FC 20, both single axle trailers.

The wheel is a Sendel T03. You can order it online or a local tire/wheel dealer can probably get them for you. I got my tires at Costco.

I paid about $125 each for the wheels, and as I recall, about $175 each for the tires.

Tires and wheels are available everywhere, no need to go to the Airstream factory for them.
Thanks for the info
__________________
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 24
Blog Entries: 1
Do 16s fit on the 22FB? The 15s look to fill out the wheel well quite a bit..

I've got the original 15s on mine and would consider 16s if they work.
__________________
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
PecanMan5's Avatar
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 124
When I had my 22Sport, I decided there was not enough safe clearance for 16 inchers.
__________________
From my Pecan Tree
PecanMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Evanston , Wyoming
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
On your 22' sport what did you find was the honest TW weight?
__________________
sunskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 50
I had a 19' Bambi with original 15" GYM's. I changed to the P235X75R15 to get the weight rating. They filled the wheel well and actually had to deflate them a little to get them on. Surprised to see a 16" fit.
__________________
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Cannonball's Avatar
 
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 488
Images: 1
I have posted on this before, and never received a response, that I recall. We have a Sport 22 FB and it just does not look like anything more than the stock wheels will fit. I am very interested if anyone has made this switch.


Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
I'd liked to know how many of you out their have actually got rid of your GYM 15" & had the 16" Michelin put on your single axle trailer?. Where you had it done ... at the Airstream Plant or else wear ? I have decided to make the switch, but the 8 Hr drive & $400 per tire/wheel not including labor has me wanting to find another source.
Even though Airstream said they could put on the Michelin 16" tires / wheels on my 2016 Sport 22FB, I have decided to stay with a 15" wheel and use Michelin's 235/75-XL15 instead of the GYM's that came with the trailer. My reasoning that made me come to this decision is this: ..... in our situation we basically will be towing a unloaded trailer. We always tow with empty tanks with exception to the few clothes put in the closet, our tow vehicle a Nissan 3500 HD cargo van allows us to stow every thing else we need on our trips. After reading this past month about tires in general I'd rather put on a high quality P/LT tire like a Michelin than the GYM & reduce my load I could put in the trailer if needed by 60 percent. Even after reducing each tire(2/single axle) load Max Cap. by 9% these tires still have a combined load capacity max to carry 4132 lbs. / Max 50 PSI per tire & that's not even adding the difference when subtracting the tongue weight off each tire on this 3,512LB. unloaded trailer. If & when we move on to another trailer we will be sure to let the next owner know about the lower weight restrictions.
__________________
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
twbucksr's Avatar
 
2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 86
I'm curious if anyone on this thread has ever considered purchasing a tire pressure monitoring system for their single axle trailer.
__________________
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,284
I purchased the Tyron bands for blowouts and also a tire pressure monitoring system for my new FC 20 single axle.
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 207
Images: 4
This response serves as my first post on any subject save my new member introduction. With that said, I have a new 2016 Sport 22FB...took delivery about 2 weeks ago. Looking at my wheel well with the standard tire I noticed there is little clearance between the edge of the tire and the edge of the well. Frankly, I would be concerned about putting on a larger rim on my trailer. I live in the Montana mountains and have to pull my trailer on some gravel roads to get to the black top. With my unit loaded within limits the axle movement with a larger wheel and tire would sure make contact resulting in damage to both the trailer and tire no doubt.
The other point I would add to this discussion is why do it in the first place? I just paid 50 Grand for the trailer in the first place....why all the discussion to change the wheels and tires on a trailer that should have the "best available" for this design?
__________________
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Rpatrick - the "why" is generally a distrust of ST tires manufactured in countries with less stringent controls than others. Many claim to have bad experiences with the OEM tires, others say they're fine so long as you never overload them, keep them at 65 mph (and psi) and replace every 3 years.

As for this thread - I have a double axle but think this might be of help if folks think the space is too tight for the 16" tires.

I looked in to the Goodyear G26 Cargo tire which is a pretty interesting tire. Made for light trucks and cargo vans, it carries 2540# at 65 psi just like our OEM tires do. I decided against them for my trailer because they're a little shorter than the 15" Michelin P-rated tires but I wonder if that difference would benefit a single axle trailer?

The 15" Michelins are 235/75 (about a 7" sidewall height) and the Goodyear G26 Cargos are 225/70 (about a 6" sidewall height) so they start thinner and have a shorter aspect ratio. I have to imagine they'd fit in that tighter space you're all talking about - though, you might have to consider re-leveling and hitch adjustments as you could lose 1/2" (maybe more?) of ground clearance as there's almost an inch difference in sidewall height.

Here's a link for more info:

https://tiresize.com/tires/Goodyear/...-225-70R15.htm

Good luck!
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Rpatrick - the "why" is generally a distrust of ST tires manufactured in countries with less stringent controls than others. Many claim to have bad experiences with the OEM tires, others say they're fine so long as you never overload them, keep them at 65 mph (and psi) and replace every 3 years.

As for this thread - I have a double axle but think this might be of help if folks think the space is too tight for the 16" tires.

I looked in to the Goodyear G26 Cargo tire which is a pretty interesting tire. Made for light trucks and cargo vans, it carries 2540# at 65 psi just like our OEM tires do. I decided against them for my trailer because they're a little shorter than the 15" Michelin P-rated tires but I wonder if that difference would benefit a single axle trailer?

The 15" Michelins are 235/75 (about a 7" sidewall height) and the Goodyear G26 Cargos are 225/70 (about a 6" sidewall height) so they start thinner and have a shorter aspect ratio. I have to imagine they'd fit in that tighter space you're all talking about - though, you might have to consider re-leveling and hitch adjustments as you could lose 1/2" (maybe more?) of ground clearance as there's almost an inch difference in sidewall height.

Here's a link for more info:

https://tiresize.com/tires/Goodyear/...-225-70R15.htm

Good luck!
Interesting , I just tried to find a dealer in the USA that had the Goodyear Cargo G26 225/70-15 in stock & found none & when I called/talked to a Goodyear rep he said they were not available ? ... Hmmmm , but there is a boat load of dealers listed on line in the UK that list them for sale.
__________________

__________________
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires Ray Eklund Tires 580 12-05-2017 01:10 PM
Michelin LTX M/S versus Michelin LTX M/S 2 - Which Would You Choose? doutterson Tires 40 10-23-2016 10:08 PM
Airstream Sport 22fb :: 2013 Airstream Sport 22 fb boomerang1 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 07-21-2012 08:23 PM
New wheels and tires upgrade to 16" & Michelin Tin Diesel Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 04-23-2008 11:48 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.