Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Fox Point , Wisconsin
22FB Sport or 19 Flying Cloud/International

Considering a TT for my family of four (me, wife and 2 young girls under 5). Limited by TV (2012 MDX) so looking for lighter weight but still enough room to sleep comfortably. Mostly to be used for short weekend trips within 500 miles. Thoughts on best trailer given the TV constraints?

mark3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Have you been in any of these? The 22FB is a narrow-body trailer, and might feel tight with the family inside. Nice big bathroom through. My favorite of the small trailer floorplans is a 20' Flying Cloud/Safari SE. That matches the MDX's towing capacity.

But. I can't help but think that you'd feel cramped very quickly with a growing family in either of these trailers. A 23' International/Flying Cloud gives you 3 beds (dinette, lounge, corner bed).

That would be over the MDX's tow rating. But I know that Andy Thomson at CanAm RV (in London Ontario) has probably hundreds of clients towing bigger trailers than that with their Acuras. (He's towed that aforementioned 23' trailer with a Ford Mustang or VW Jetta modified to have a strong hitch and with well-adjusted weight distribution.) It might be worth a call to him to discuss what his experience has been, and then decide your comfort level with doing that.

Or consider something like an Evergreen Element, which gives you more room and tops out just over the MDX's rating.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
More than just sleeping comfortably, will there be room for the kids to be active inside during the evening, in bad weather, etc? The 19' and the current 22' Sport both have a bed and a dinette - no couch. If you can find a used 22' Sport from around '08, they had two gaucho's (that is a pull out couch) and may offer more floorspace. They were more barebones, but cheaper and more Euro in design. Get the family and spend some time in one. If you'd like, and want to come to the O'Hare area, you're welcome to tour my 19' and see what you think. Other than having fixed bulkheads on either side of the dinette instead of removable wedge cushions, it's very similar to new ones.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Some people think we are crazy (including myself), but we purchased a 23fb for a family of five (3 small kids). I got the biggest AS i could pull because i couldn't afford an AS and a new TV. I also wanted a manageable size. Our oldest is 9, and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the 9 yr old's mood) we will reach a point quickly when our numbers start to decline. Plus our kids are begging to sleep in tents which is exactly what they will do when they get a bit older. My wife and I have been able to go camping without the kids and our 23fb is perfect.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I think the 23' has the best floor plan for the smaller models. Have fun shopping and keep looking at them over and over and one will speak to you!!
Blog: Glamper~An Airstream Diary
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We picked the 20' Flying Cloud ... great for two adults and two small children; but you will likely outgrow it in about 5 years. Then you can search for something a bit larger. The FC20 is still a narrower body than the 25+ AS (but not as narrow as the sport 22 - don't ask me why ... just the specs) for ease of pulling as a first camper. The galley is super "yummy" with plenty of prep area and my wife's favored double sinks - and you have all of the features that you are looking for in an AS TT. For us, the food prep area is well utilized and a super layout. If you get a sport, you will not have the rear bumper or segment protectors - that most would say are essential. When you add those costs into the sport ... we thought that the FC20 was a better buy. Spend some time with your family inside them before you decide.

The biggest consideration is that you must enjoy your bed partner because the layout insures that the front most sleeper must climb over the aft sleeper when leaving the bed ... I like my partner. We downsized to the FC20 and find it to be GREAT! Only you know your budget constraints and whether you want a new AS or a used one... few FC20 on the used market (of any age); that told us something. Happy campers keeping them longer.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote