Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
Tipton , Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
We compared the same models, though several models years ago. That was the distinction for us, the bed. Some folks may not find a six inch width difference to be that significant, but it was a lot for us. Actually, we have an even slightly wider bed than the current model, as our Sport 22 is the older non-FB plan, with the front dinette usually made up for sleeping.

In practice, the narrow body doesn't seem less roomy to us, and both models you're considering feel pretty open for small trailers. Both are easy to maneuver.

As you're also looking across model lines, the 'cheaper' or missing features of the Sport tend to be pretty obvious: no bumper, plastic propane cover, cheaper windows, and so on. But as you note, these can be fitted later, or upgraded over the years. And both series get the same admiring looks!

Enjoy the rest of your search.
Which windows are different?
__________________

T4HALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Moderator
 
blmitch5's Avatar

 
2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,224
Images: 1
The windows have the rubber seal around them verses the aluminum frame. I think the pano is the same but all the side windows are different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2662318480.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	180085   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-70412114.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	180086  

__________________

__________________
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Ahab's Avatar
 
2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
We compared the same models, though several models years ago. That was the distinction for us, the bed. Some folks may not find a six inch width difference to be that significant, but it was a lot for us. Actually, we have an even slightly wider bed than the current model, as our Sport 22 is the older non-FB plan, with the front dinette usually made up for sleeping.

In practice, the narrow body doesn't seem less roomy to us, and both models you're considering feel pretty open for small trailers. Both are easy to maneuver.

As you're also looking across model lines, the 'cheaper' or missing features of the Sport tend to be pretty obvious: no bumper, plastic propane cover, cheaper windows, and so on. But as you note, these can be fitted later, or upgraded over the years. And both series get the same admiring looks!

Enjoy the rest of your search.
Like Whizzo we chose the 22' Sport and leave the dinette made up for sleeping. We use sleeping bags. A bumper doesn't do anything except add weight. Windows are fine and if you have mudflaps the rock guards aren't really helpful. The narrow body saves gas, is easier to see around and has more counter space.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Whizzo's Avatar
 
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 685
Images: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
The windows have the rubber seal around them verses the aluminum frame. I think the pano is the same but all the side windows are different.
Yes, that's the major window difference. And on older models, even the front window was different. As a weight-saving measure with the lesser capacity 4000 lb vice 4500 lb axle, A/S used a standard Hehr window, eventually upgraded to the bigger wrap-around.

__________________
2014 Flying Cloud 23FB
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 916
Images: 7
We just purchased a 2013 International Signature Bambi 19.

The front bed in the Sport 22FB seemed like a waste of nice front windows. We love the Bambi's rear bed with room divider (curtain).

They both weighed the same, however the smaller Bambi's rear bumper, front gravel guards, two batteries, larger LP tanks and black/grey tanks and much nicer interior trumped the larger size of the Sport.
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
 
Barefootdog's Avatar
 
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
We just purchased a 2013 International Signature Bambi 19.

The front bed in the Sport 22FB seemed like a waste of nice front windows. We love the Bambi's rear bed with room divider (curtain).

They both weighed the same, however the smaller Bambi's rear bumper, front gravel guards, two batteries, larger LP tanks and black/grey tanks and much nicer interior trumped the larger size of the Sport.
Interstateflyer, From your profile it looks like you are pulling your Bambi 19 with an Interstate Sprinter RV. If so, I'm curious how it's working out? We have a 2011 Pleasure Way built on the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter with dual tires. The towing capacity is rated 5000# and we're looking to buy a small AS for extended travel. We're trying to choose between the Sport 22FB or one of the higher end shorter ASs. We plan to use the RV as our living room and kitchen and use the AS as the bedroom and bath. The size of the bathroom will be of more importance to us. Any thoughts?
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar
 
2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,309
We looked at 22 also because we want to upgrade from a 17' Casita. The 22' seemed to have a smaller fridge vs 4 cu/ft that we have in our 17' Casita or the FC 20' or 19'. In the 22 there are no cabinets over the dinette. There are in the 23FB. Kitchen countertop is much better in the 22 vs 19. A lot of people never user their RV ovens. We cary a toaster oven in the Casita. Only a 2 burner cook top on the 22 vs 19 but we've never missed having a 3rd in the Casita. Gray holding is 24 gallons in the 22 vs 21 gallons in the 19,20 but is 30 in the 23fb. Out Casita has 32 gallons an we found it hard to downsize that because we like to camp at National Parks (no hookups) a lot. The FC 20 vs the FC 19 wins for us, both have the same basic features, 48" wide bed and dinette, but the corner toilet shower is cramped in the 19' and more spacious in the 20. Kitchen in the 20 is better an just about any other floor plan AS offers. The more we looked the more we kept going up in size. We are now considering the 25 as the sweet spot. Not to0 large and not too small and large enough to spend a couple of years on the road when we retire in years. We also have to buy a new TV to do this. You have the F150. Even though preowned and new 25' are more expensive than 20s, 22s, 19s, 23s its cheaper to buy it one time than buy twice within 5 years for a larger AS.

They don't make it easy.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Ahab's Avatar
 
2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Interstateflyer, From your profile it looks like you are pulling your Bambi 19 with an Interstate Sprinter RV. If so, I'm curious how it's working out? We have a 2011 Pleasure Way built on the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter with dual tires. The towing capacity is rated 5000# and we're looking to buy a small AS for extended travel. We're trying to choose between the Sport 22FB or one of the higher end shorter ASs. We plan to use the RV as our living room and kitchen and use the AS as the bedroom and bath. The size of the bathroom will be of more importance to us. Any thoughts?
You will find the bathroom is much larger in the 22' Sport.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 916
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Interstateflyer, From your profile it looks like you are pulling your Bambi 19 with an Interstate Sprinter RV. If so, I'm curious how it's working out? We have a 2011 Pleasure Way built on the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter with dual tires. The towing capacity is rated 5000# and we're looking to buy a small AS for extended travel. We're trying to choose between the Sport 22FB or one of the higher end shorter ASs. We plan to use the RV as our living room and kitchen and use the AS as the bedroom and bath. The size of the bathroom will be of more importance to us. Any thoughts?
Were towing with a GMC Sierra 1500.

The most we've towed with the Interstate is 2200 lbs (T@B trailer). I believe that the tow rating of 5000 lbs for 2002-2006 Sprinter 2500 158" was based on an empty cargo van. The RV buildout weight could have significantly effected the towing capacity.

I see people with shorter wheelbase cargo/passenger 2500s towing mid size aluminum horse trailers.

Not sure about the original or current 3500s though. The 2500's 5 cyl seemed challenged going up some hills. Your newer V-6 van could be better.
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Were towing with a GMC Sierra 1500.

The most we've towed with the Interstate is 2200 lbs (T@B trailer). I believe that the tow rating of 5000 lbs for 2002-2006 Sprinter 2500 158" was based on an empty cargo van. The RV buildout weight could have significantly effected the towing capacity.

I see people with shorter wheelbase cargo/passenger 2500s towing mid size aluminum horse trailers.

Not sure about the original or current 3500s though. The 2500's 5 cyl seemed challenged going up some hills. Your newer V-6 van could be better.
No, actually 2002-2006 Sprinter 2500 tow rating was based on the van having the max payload in it. I looked into 1 as a tow vehicle then and was thinking that if it was rated like other vehicles in the US it would have had over a 7000lb tow rating for the 2500 and over 8000lb for the 3500 instead of 5000lb each and that made me decide not to buy 1.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
Jack Dog in So Cal
 
2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Images: 5
Can of Worms

T4Halo;

Boy did you open a can of worms and I'm one of them!

We purchased a 2013 16' Sport last October. We looked at the 22' Sport and the 19' Safari but for us it came down to two things:

1.) We tow with a V6 Jeep so weight was a big issue and we really liked the compact size of the 16' Sport.

2.) Money was also an issue and with a MSRP of $42K calling the base Sport "cheap" is for us hilarious.

If money and weight had not been a problem we would have gotten the 20' Safari.

I really like the room the 22' Sport has and being narrower is a plus and my better half loved the big bathroom, but if you can handle the extra weight and additional cost I'd would go with the 19' Safari.

I like the International version but I think AS charges way too much for the high cool factor interior.

Good luck and I think you will be happy with whatever model you get.

Nothing is more satisfying than to cruise down the highway on your first trip out towing the AS and getting all the looks, honks and waves from your fellow drivers not to mention showing it off to other RV'ers at campgrounds.

Happy Travels,
Jack Dog in
So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,482
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
T4Halo, .........
Nothing is more satisfying than to cruise down the highway on your first trip out towing the AS and getting all the looks, honks and waves from your fellow drivers not to mention showing it off to other RV'ers at campgrounds.

Happy Travels,
Jack Dog in
So Cal
That is so very true! I was amazed at the attention the little Airstream demanded. It is a blast to experience!

BTW Jack Dog, I can't find were anyone called the Sport "cheap". I hope that is not what I implied....

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
mutcth's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,649
LOL Bruce! I saw a 16' Design Within Reach yesterday parked at my favorite trailer repair shop. Couldn't take my eyes off of it. So cute, so little, so rounded...

Tom
__________________
Now: 2007 Safari SE 23' "Anne" towed by 2011 Dodge Durango "Herman"
Before: Argosy Minuet and T@B, towed by various Honda Odysseys
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
Tipton , Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 50
Thanks for all the input. Now the wife wants to look at the 23 and 25 both with FB. I have been pulling campers for 25 years and have never seen her this excited.

She is a little apprehensive about the longer and wider units. We rolled a 24 foot Terry TT and 97 Ford Explorer on I95 back in 1997. Trailer laid on its side and SUV on its roof. Everyone was fine but she has PTSD over the whole issue. I`m sure I`ll be fine with the 2010 F150.

Since the accident I`ve owned a 5th wheel, a slide in bed camper, a small hybrid and an Aframe. We haven`t had any issues with these units. I`m sure an AS will pull much quieter than the old Big White Box did.

Tony
T4HALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Have your wife watch this video, it may help her feel more comfortable towing an Airstream.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
 
Tipton , Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 50
I`ve had her watch the video a couple of times... I think that is one of the reasons she is excited again.

Tony
T4HALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #37
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,963
Images: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4HALO View Post
Thanks for all the input. Now the wife wants to look at the 23 and 25 both with FB. I have been pulling campers for 25 years and have never seen her this excited.



Tony

Both excellent choices. I'm not a fan of the sports as they seem really tight inside. The 23 has an awesome cute factor and the layout is great provided you don't mind the corner bed. If the corner bed is a deal breaker move to the 25.
__________________
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

.
Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
Sbb
begorragirl
 
Sbb's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,029
Images: 2
I have a 19" Bambi, and my TV is a 1500 Suburban, would mine tow as well? I have the single axel. Thanks. sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 916
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I have a 19" Bambi, and my TV is a 1500 Suburban, would mine tow as well? I have the single axel. Thanks. sbb
Your owner's manual should have a table that describes the towing capacities of your TV. They factor in the engine displacement, axel ratio and suspension.

You can input your TV's vin# on compnine.com to find out it's build info (if you don't have your window sticker).
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I have a 19" Bambi, and my TV is a 1500 Suburban, would mine tow as well? I have the single axel. Thanks. sbb
Any Suburban should be able to tow a 19' Bambi well. If you have the 6-speed and 3.08 rear it will be close to the weight limit and you should add an aux trans cooler, if you don't have an aux trans cooler with any other setup it is still a good idea to add 1.

Now if you meant will it go through the slalom coarse as fast as the Porsche can in the video not quite, the Porsche is faster through the slalom course solo then the Suburban so would also be faster towing. The Suburban might be faster towing then solo through the slalom coarse though if the weight distribution is setup right.
__________________

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sport 22FB or Flying Cloud 19' or 20' arollins2 Member Introductions 1 06-19-2014 09:11 AM
22FB Sport or 19 Flying Cloud/International mark3rs 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 5 12-18-2012 11:22 PM
Airstream Sport 22fb :: 2013 Airstream Sport 22 fb boomerang1 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 07-21-2012 08:23 PM
2010 airstream sport 22fb eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 02-05-2010 01:00 PM
Solar Wiring 09 22FB Sport oldirty Generators & Solar Power 1 06-29-2009 03:22 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.