Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
22FB mattress warning

I was doing some cleaning this morning and lifted the mattress to do some vacuuming under it. I noticed that some sap or whatever has leached into the bottom of the mattress from some exposed open grain in the plywood bed base. I think a quick inspection for broken surfaces is in order for anyone concerned.

Would this be a warranty issue in anyone’s opinion?

See attached gross photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BE33DDB-E339-409B-A1E0-0B9345F03BEC.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	344656  
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Did the wood get wet?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
it looks like the wood got wet
IMHO, it looks like mould

there should be no sap from plywood
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
I don't know how it would have gotten wet. It was sheltered in the shop all winter. And the spots match that area of open plywood grain exactly, and only above that area where you can see the open grain, that's why I included it in the photo. It should have been sealed or painted or both before laying the mattress on there. Maybe it's a one off and everybody has a nice solid uninterrupted plywood surface there like the rest of what I have. I would advise folks to check though it looks terrible like its 10 years old now.

It may be related to condensation too when I am laying there. I think it will keep doing it unless we put a coat of Kilz over it at a minimum. No real harm done just a shame on a new trailer.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
It may be related to condensation too when I am laying there. I think it will keep doing it unless we put a coat of Kilz over it at a minimum. No real harm done just a shame on a new trailer.
Is there an exterior storage compartment under that area, and was/is trailer used in cooler climates? If so, the temperature differential between the inside and outside (under the bed in the compartment) causes condensation. Many cases of this. Kilz won't solve the problem, you need airflow. It also helps to insulate the walls/ceiling of the storage compartment with foam board or reflectix. There are products such as hypervent that you put under the mattress to provided airflow to avoid this. Quite a few discussions about his issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...re-127669.html
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Is there an exterior storage compartment under that area, and was/is trailer used in cooler climates? If so, the temperature differential between the inside and outside (under the bed in the compartment) causes condensation. Many cases of this. Kilz won't solve the problem, you need airflow. It also helps to insulate the walls/ceiling of the storage compartment with foam board or reflectix. There are products such as hypervent that you put under the mattress to provided airflow to avoid this. Quite a few discussions about his issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...re-127669.html
Thanks guys I think you’re right. Last October I used it before putting it away and running the furnace caused a lot of visible condensation in the storage area below the bed until I removed the storage door and equalized the temperature. Upon closer examination, it is mold. I am looking for ways to minimize it further. I think I am also the cause of it laying there I get very hot if I try to use the same covers as my wife.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we place 10+ plastic pots around the trailer. they contain a water absorbing Crystal.

This keeps the As nice and dry in the winter
Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
30 minutes later......

Just for the record it looks a lot better now. I first used what I had around which was a generic mold mildew remover that has a little froth to it, then I fould some white vinegar I was using as a component to deoxidize my copper landscaping wires. I pinched held the cover away from the foam inside and did circular scrubbing (sponge) motions repeatedly.

If airflow is the solution I may try one of those ziggy zaggy non-inflatable camp sleep pads like the thermarest z-lite line below it on top of the plywood.

Is this a mattress cover that can be replaced BTW?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
That was a close one. Gonna try my Thermarest LE’s from my motorcycle setup before spending any more money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	832A1DE6-197A-4F63-9417-449E0AC9CF21.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	344685  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Looks good.

Try the pad. Might not work as I think they are more about insulating than air-flow, but I don't know for sure. If your pad idea doesn't work out, people have good luck with this stuff.

https://www.hyperventonline.com/
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
In light of the large amount of respiration and perspiration that happens in a trailer, we stand the mattress up after each trip so that the two large sides are exposed to airflow (similar to the last photo posted by keweenawbee). We are hoping that this limits the mold and mildew that may form on the lower side of the mattress.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maybe the most inexpensive fix is to use an old double non-fitted sheet between the plywood base and the mattress. Then, if it becomes mildewed or moldy, throw away the sheet, instead of the $800 mattress.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In my Safari with the corner bed, I cut an opening in the base of the bed frame and installed a metal grille over it. Similar to > https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-Vent...-12-in/3142255
A little air flowing beneath the bed makes that space warmer/dryer and stops the condensation beneath the mattress.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Looks good.

Try the pad. Might not work as I think they are more about insulating than air-flow, but I don't know for sure. If your pad idea doesn't work out, people have good luck with this stuff.

https://www.hyperventonline.com/
We use the Hypervent and it makes a difference with the airflow around the mattress.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
adequate and frequent ventilation and air air replacement is key in any environment

if worried about moisture under the bed, add a sheet of plastic mesh. this allows air to flow between the bed and plywood
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
The two 20" x full length Thermarest LE's seem to being doing the job. I noticed the extra comfort and like the slight increase in height. There is an air channel running their length between them. They inflate to about an inch thick and raise the FB's mattress off the plywood with an air-filled thermal barrier. So at least my body heat is out of the equation at the plywood.

This morning there were no damp spots between any of the layers but I will keep checking. Thanks guys!