Old 04-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
22 fb water heater issue

On our first time out and could not get the water heater to ignite. Ran the stove , so propane was fine. Finally after a day of trying every few hours, I had my wife flip the switch while I went out and opened the panel and watched. Voila, it lit and stayed lit immediately. I noticed water dripping out from the white plastic plug, continually dripping enough to leave a puddle. Left for a few hours, came back and same scenario, it would not light until I went out and opened the door. I could hear the igniter clicking about every second even as it was spewing flame. So, can anyone help with the leak problem, and the ignition problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D2719734-E000-462D-8AA5-8CBA37511DDC.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	309685   Click image for larger version

Name:	397515AE-C53E-4A46-B13B-862F0006AD7D.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	309686  

Rubeyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The white plug is the tank drain plug used for winterizing and draining the tank. Might be a bit loose try slight tightening.

Can you run 120 volt AC heater until propane gets fixed ?

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
The white plug (tank drain) just needs to be removed and a couple of turns of plumbers tape added to the threads. A dollar or two from home depot, handy to keep in your tool kit. Be careful removing it in case water is hot.

The ignition problem is interesting in that it lit when you opened the panel. Weird, maybe just a coincidence. There is a "sail switch" that won't allow gas to flow unless the fan is running. It could be sticky, and if you push on it a few times it might loosen up if that's the problem. (The switch is pushed on by air pressure when the fan is running, allowing gas to flow.)

Also try cleaning the venturi tube with compressed air or a pipe cleaner or similar to be sure there are no spider webs constricting the flow of gas/air to the burner.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
Red face

Ok, plug turned about 1/8 th turn, leak fixed. Hope the ignition problem is just as easy!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
This one is a single mode, no 120 v AC option. When lit, you can really hear it in the camper, roars pretty good. I think itís just supposed to be a slight hiss. Dug out my complete guide to AS maintenance (addresses the whole white plug issue, Iím an idiot). Iíll read up on adjusting the pilot light. Just donít want to blow up the trailer, it just came off the line 3 weeks ago. Iíll google sail switch as well. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
The ignition problem is interesting in that it lit when you opened the panel. Weird, maybe just a coincidence. There is a "sail switch" that won't allow gas to flow unless the fan is running.

Donít think water heater has a sail switch.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
South West , USA
Assuming that the system has the proper gas pressure then it sounds like the venturi slide (not sure what it is really called) may need to be adjusted (That is the part of the tube with the elongated slots in it. There is a small screw that holds it in place.). When you open the cover there is more air flow than when closed.

'If' that is the problem, this is an adjustment that should be done by someone that knows what they are doing (dealer, RV tech, etc.).

I've never encountered a 'sail' switch on a water heater but they are on forced air RV furnaces, at least the ones I have owned and worked on.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
1st off , no sail switch - that is in the furnace .
Next , no pilot light , electronic ignition .
The mixer mention - slotted tube , looks to be [ by your picture ] close to the correct adjustment , this should not delay the lighting of water heater .
This symptom is more like there is a propane leak in the line between tanks & W.H. , and the delay is the gas filling the supply line with gas , till enough to light .
So with that , is this while the trailer is sitting unused / stored / and tank valves off , and then you open tank valves , light stove to help bleed air out of gas lines ?
Remember that the water heater is at the end of the gas line from the tank , and that the stove is in the middle , so air will still be in the line to W.H. , and will take some time to bleed & light .
To check this , after running the water heater for a full cycle [ and not closing /changing tank valves ] , will the water heater light ?
Next , is checking the electrical part of the gas valve , get or make a test light , what this is , is a simple electrical test tool , its like a ice pick with a clear handle - in side the handle is a light bulb , off the end of the handle is a wire a couple feet long , on the end of that is a alligator clip - this if for testing 12 volts DC .
You make one with a flashlight bulb , wire solder .
The alligator clip goes to almost any metal near by for a ground , then the point of the ice pick / tester , is for touching the hot / + connection to the gas valve .
With some one in side and the water heater sw. off , you connect the tester as above , you may hear a click from relay in electronic control , at the same time a click from the valve in the gas regulator and the light should come on --- this is when all is working ,
if none of the above happens [ and you are doing correctly ] then no 12v to valve in regulator , then issue with control box , or power to control box , also remember when ever checking for power , make sure grounds are good also .
Back to everything working as above - test light lights at valve in regulator , now how much delay to light ?
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
AArdvAArk

2018 22' Sport
MORGANTOWN , West Virginia
Unhappy 2018 Sport 22FB Water Heater Issue

We got our new 22FB and the Atwood gas water heater worked fine in the Airstream Dealer's parking lot. We drove away and camped the next day and the hot water heater did not work. The heater and the heater red light do not come on under any circumstances. We are a long way from any authorized Airstream or Atwood service center and have tried to debug the hot water heater before taking the 22FB somewhere to repair. The First thing we noticed is that all of the service centers (Airstream and Atwood) are booked up for many weeks and sometimes months in advance and once you get in then parts can be weeks in getting. The Airstream Factory Service center is booked up till the end of summer. (Airstream should have some special fast-track service provision for new purchase warranty issues!) Our Airstream dealer is over 6 hour drive away from us. Generally most service folks have been friendly on the phone and offered many suggestions, which we have tried with no success. Currently we are waiting for one Atwood service center to get a replacement hot water controller board for us. They are only a 2.5 hour drive away and we are in the wait queue. Anyone out there have any experience with these issues?
FS4724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS4724 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with these issues?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-179320.html
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi FS4724,

We are sorry about the issue that you are having with your hot water heater in your 208 Sport. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeyjj View Post
This one is a single mode, no 120 v AC option. When lit, you can really hear it in the camper, roars pretty good. I think itís just supposed to be a slight hiss. Dug out my complete guide to AS maintenance (addresses the whole white plug issue, Iím an idiot). Iíll read up on adjusting the pilot light. Just donít want to blow up the trailer, it just came off the line 3 weeks ago. Iíll google sail switch as well. Thanks!
It's not the 'pilot' you would be adjusting...it'a the 'main flame'. As noted the fuel/air is adjusted with the slotted sleeve in the supply tube. Light the burner and adjust to get a nice blue flame, think stove burner. You may get a slight roar, ignore. Better a clean blue burn than a quiet yellow one. 👍
No yellow.👎

POI...A butane match stick in the utility drawer comes in handy😳

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
We got our new 22FB and the Atwood gas water heater worked fine in the Airstream Dealer's parking lot. We drove away and camped the next day and the hot water heater did not work. The heater and the heater red light do not come on under any circumstances. We are a long way from any authorized Airstream or Atwood service center and have tried to debug the hot water heater before taking the 22FB somewhere to repair. The First thing we noticed is that all of the service centers (Airstream and Atwood) are booked up for many weeks and sometimes months in advance and once you get in then parts can be weeks in getting. The Airstream Factory Service center is booked up till the end of summer. (Airstream should have some special fast-track service provision for new purchase warranty issues!) Our Airstream dealer is over 6 hour drive away from us. Generally most service folks have been friendly on the phone and offered many suggestions, which we have tried with no success. Currently we are waiting for one Atwood service center to get a replacement hot water controller board for us. They are only a 2.5 hour drive away and we are in the wait queue. Anyone out there have any experience with these issues?
The exact thing happened to me last thurs in Chicago (now six hours+ away too). I had expressed my concern to all that would listen and they all claimed "they have not had one failure" of that igniter board. In fact this morning I called the sales manager and he restated that claim.

With what I have to do for him (film a video of the water heater and the sound it makes) I am totally disgusted. When I had insisted that I wanted it hooked up so I could test all systems they acted like I was calling them liars and said the trailer had gone through their own multi-point check. They finally moved the trailer over to a hookup spot and about 20 minutes later I started checking through the systems. The hot water heater appeared to be working as I had hot water at the sink.

We finally connected water to it last night and the hot water heater would not ignite! I thought maybe it had a pressure switch and my campground system was preventing it from lighting so I filled the fresh water tank and used the trailers pump to test it.....still no ignition.

I DID FIGURE OUT HOW TO FOOL THE IGNITER BOARD INTO LEAVING THE GAS VALVE OPEN FOR A HEATING CYCLE, YOU JUST LIGHT IT WITH A COUPLE OF MATCHES TO SIMULATE THE HEAT AND THE BOARD WILL NOT RE-CLOSE THE GAS VALVE.

So that is what I have been doing to maintain hot water, and the gas light switch in the bathroom illuminates again when the stat calls for heat again.

I'm not saying that's what they did, but it would sure explain the immediate failures we both had.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
follow this thread for replaced the gabad bage board from atwood and to replac it with the dragon board.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/newr...te=1&p=2104871

if AS support was good, they would have sent a note to all owners with free boards for them to get Atwood bad boards replaced with dinosaur UIB-64 bards at a local dealer for no cost.

Now, it looks like AS just wants to sell unit vs support like then did many decades ago.

when i had issue with my new 2017 22Fb a year ago, i got ZERO response from AS. I had to take it to CANAM in london ON to get it resolved. a 7 hour drive from here
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, Do as i did after three failures

bite the bullet and order this board. it is easy for anyone to installhttp://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/UIB-64.html

dealing with Atwood is a pain. it took two month of email and phone just for them to agree to pay for the parts&work during the 1st replacement.

it not worth my time anymore to get money back from atwood
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
Just chiming in that I took mine to the dealer and the board was replaced with another Atwood board. (Same batch ending in 8E I believe). Iíve not been able to use the trailer since then, so iíll report on how it goes. Fortunately my trailer resides about 10 minutes from my dealer, who is about 25 minutes from Jackson Center. My dealerís only comment was ďwe diagnose the problem and Airstream sends us the partĒ. Iím not optimistic that Iíve got a long lasting part, but weíll soon find out. Glad to hear this dinosaur option exists.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeyjj View Post
On our first time out and could not get the water heater to ignite. Ran the stove , so propane was fine. Finally after a day of trying every few hours, I had my wife flip the switch while I went out and opened the panel and watched. Voila, it lit and stayed lit immediately. I noticed water dripping out from the white plastic plug, continually dripping enough to leave a puddle. Left for a few hours, came back and same scenario, it would not light until I went out and opened the door. I could hear the igniter clicking about every second even as it was spewing flame. So, can anyone help with the leak problem, and the ignition problem?
Be sure you have 12 v of power. The water heater will not ignite without it.

I know from experience. ...
Textdocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Dinosaur rules!

Just swapped out the board works great. Install and seller details other board thread.

Now I have to deal with that our door wonít close all the way so no deadbolt.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
AArdvAArk

2018 22' Sport
MORGANTOWN , West Virginia
Quote:
Followup on this post. Airstream service provided a list of Atwood service providers in a hundred mile radius from us. We started calling closest first. One would Not service Airstreams citing factory customization of the Atwood gas water heater as the reason. The one I mentioned took our information and ordered a replacement controller board from Atwood. It came in a week and the service provider worked us into his very full schedule to replace the controller board free under warranty in less than 30 minutes. He was very helpful and also provided a lot of tips and a how to demo on adjusting the gas-air flow. I recommend his service.
Jeff Valero of Freedom RV Repair near Pittsburgh PA. 724-875-0234 (and Carla on phone)

SO the hot water heater is working fine and I hope it continues to work for a long long time.

Thanks to everyone else for their info and advice.

Gary

FS4724 is offline   Reply With Quote