Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
2019 Sport 22 Water Heater not working

Dometic G6A-8E

I need some advice:

Water heater not working, 2amp fuse was blown on circuit board. Replaced fuse and it blew the second one. Checked wiring, third fuse has not blown but now igniter is not working. Gas is flowing but no spark.

If I get this taken care of with dometic warranty at a dealer I have to take the trailer to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem. Then I have to pick up the trailer while they order parts directly from dometic then take the trailer back for the repair. That's two trips and time off of work.

My other option would be to order a new circuit board and do the repair myself. If that is indeed the problem.

I don't like either option. I shouldn't have this much of a headache on a trailer that is 8 months old.

Thanks for any input.
aacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
I can't diagnose your problem for you, but my water heater would work on electrical power, but not ignite the propane when switched over. Based on what I've read in these forums the circuit board had failed. Also based on what I've read here I ordered a Dinosaur board and paid $130 for it rather than take the trailer to the dealer for another Dometic board under warranty.
That fixed my trailer. Your mileage may vary.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
many threads on this topic. please read them for full details

best to order a Dinosaur board and never speak to Dometic again. it can take a year or more to get a refund
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Thanks for the reply, I have read the other posts. So I guess Atwood is now Dometic.

I am thinking the dinosaur is my best option.

Just really upsets me to deal with this on such a new trailer.
aacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacreek View Post
Dometic G6A-8E

I need some advice:

Water heater not working, 2amp fuse was blown on circuit board. Replaced fuse and it blew the second one. Checked wiring, third fuse has not blown but now igniter is not working. Gas is flowing but no spark.

If I get this taken care of with dometic warranty at a dealer I have to take the trailer to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem. Then I have to pick up the trailer while they order parts directly from dometic then take the trailer back for the repair. That's two trips and time off of work.

My other option would be to order a new circuit board and do the repair myself. If that is indeed the problem.

I don't like either option. I shouldn't have this much of a headache on a trailer that is 8 months old.

Thanks for any input.
Hi aacreek,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 04-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I had the same issue. Well known by the dealer. They overnighted me a replacement controller board to my camp-site and I fixed it in less than 5 minutes.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
get a Dinosaur board and ask AS support to pay for it for warranty

this is what they look like

very EASY to replace it
in the 1st picture the old BAD board is on the <= left,
the new Dinosaur board is on the right =>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinosaur  uib64 and old atwood board.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	338439   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinosaur  UIB64 cover.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	338440  

Name:	dinosaur uib64 water heater board.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	338441  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
As Waninae39 has said, the Atwood/Dometic striker OEM board is laughable. I went through 4 under warranty and still had to take cold showers as they lasted 1-3 uses. Discovered the Dino board (http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/UIB-64.html) and installed it myself. Many miles later we still take hot showers.

AS customer care (Mike Varno) reimbursed mine after he got the old Atwood board and a receipt. AS must be embarrassed at the numbers of these OEM boards that fail.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i have the same problem...its the board that is defective,i spoke to Patrick at colonial a.s. and got me someone at the rpair dep..who said they will send me a new one,i insisted on a dinosaur but who knows what they will send...its for sure a constant problem on our 2018 19 bambi sport model....
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
The Atwood OEM board is Chinese-made and then epoxy sealed to prevent repair. The Dino board is made by guys who used to build boards for Jet Propulsion Labs (JPL) and are spacecraft grade. You will only buy one Dino board. Now getting Airstream to pay for it is a different story. Don't expect a dealer to help you out. Jackson Center is the only way to get it reimbursed.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i have the same problem...its the board that is defective,i spoke to Patrick at colonial a.s. and got me someone at the rpair dep..who said they will send me a new one,i insisted on a dinosaur but who knows what they will send...its for sure a constant problem on our 2018 19 bambi sport model....
Colonial sent me a new board when mine failed on Day 2. It wasn’t Dinosaur brand, but it was a different product than the original part. Still working....so far.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
OMG! This is still happening.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Get a Dino board.

Beware of Airstream, they will only send you another bad board.

for some reason, they have some love for the HW heater OEM and reuse to use any other supplier
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Finally handed the failed Atwood board and documentation to a service manager at the factory service center in Ohio. He said they cut checks twice a month and to expect it in a couple weeks. Assume I got it unless I chime in to the contrary.

I did see a Dinosaur diagnostic tester in a box of similar size on a chair in his office, but they are still playing/acting/actually dumb about this water heater board situation which just amazes me.

As far as my door adjustment, they came and got the trailer from the Terra Port the day I arrived in the afternoon, rather then me waiting until the following day which was my appointment. However when I returned I found the trailer door unchanged. They changed the door gasket that was all. I told them I don't know which direction to go, and I certainly was not gonna drive it 750 mile back without it being fixed. They sent out a great door tech (I wish I would have got his name). He put a socket on the striker knob that the door latches onto, loosened it, then drilled out the four rivets, adjusted it outward a tick or two, tightened it back up with the socket set for testing, then installed four new rivets. He gave me some more rivets and warned me never to remove that striker knob completely as the back plate will fall down into the jamb. He also instructed me never to close the door with the black main door handle, always use the mid handle on the screen door so not to put stress on the main door handle, and it has more leverage closing it that way.

I was happy now but it was too late to head out so I did spend a night on the Terra Port. The factory building has very loud continuous noises coming from it nearly all night, they must be running double shifts at least.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.25.45 PM.png
Views:	72
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	344328  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
After two failures I put in Dino board and sent request to AS to reimburse. Letter unanswered for 30 days so posted request on AS website. Response:

Hello David,

Thank you for your recent email concerning your Dometic / Atwood water heater circuit board.

With following the guide lines that Doemtic has put in place for having warranty work done for their items, non OEM parts installed in their products are unable to be processed for warranty. Attach is a warranty guide sheet for your review, if you have further questions Dometic can also be directly contact at 800-544-4881.
Mike V
Airstream, Inc.
Motorized Touring Coach Owner Relations
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Mike,

Thanks for responding. As you are no doubt are aware the issue is the faulty boards and policy that both my AS dealer and manufacturer just replace with same board. What’s the point?

Would it not be better to allow dealers to put in the Dino board under warranty until Dometic starts with new design? Not a one off issue that AS is aware of but does not address.

My TV is a Mercedes and I know they stand behind everything that reflects on their product and AS is the Mercedes of TTs

Regards

David
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
had to have mine replaced,it still does not work properly...it takes several tries to ignite it...i will have to replace this one too but will pay for a dino since AS will not...why do they keep putting these dom. in knowing full well it will fail the costumer........... not a good situation..!!!!.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
David, you asked the correct question of AS - what good is it just replacing the board with the same faulty OEM boards. I went through 4 before I decided to spring for the Dino. Never a failure in another 10K miles. Never a need to take a cold shower.

It appears Mike Varno is trying to appease his superiors and not reimburse for the Dino. What is his alternative for the customer? Keep putting bad boards in the WH.

My last email to him I said we had hoped to buy a larger AS in a year or so. But the sad fact was we would not even consider doing so if the AS contained subpar fixtures. That’s when I received an email from him asking for receipts. Since I was copying the dealer with my AS emails I have wondered if the dealer agreed in a back room email to cove the expense. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
I got my payment reimbursement for my Dino board about 3 weeks after handing them the defective (from first try) board and the receipt for my Dino board purchase. I was at the Ohio repair center at the time so I am sure that helped. Never had that policy of theirs stuck in my face, but that’s a difficult hurdle to overcome. It would have been well worth it to me to only go through it once and not have reimbursable then the alternative of multiple failure/replacements.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I had the same problem as everyone else here. 2019 sport 22fb, failed water heater board. I went straight for the dinosaur board and I haven’t had any problems since. I got the same party line from air stream about the Dino board voiding the warranty. Blah blah blah, what good is a warranty if it doesn’t work in the first place?

Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to spend the 100 bucks for heat but don’t act like it’s not a problem on a high end trailer. This whole circuit board thing is really a stain on an otherwise great experience owning an airstream. To top that off I have a dinosaur board on order for the furnace as well.

The positive here is I’m getting really acquainted with the trailer and fixing it.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote