Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
2019 Sport 16 - Weight and Carrying Capacity

Our new 2019 Sport 16 arrived, and I went to look at it today. I took photos to review when I got home, and I have some concerns about the weights and carrying capacity. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the sticker is 3,500 pounds and matches expectations. However, the manufactured weight is 3,072 pounds, and the carrying capacity is only 428 pounds. This is well below the advertised base weight of 2,860 pounds and carrying capacity of 640 pounds. Has anyone else seen similar numbers? If this is correct, I've lost over 200 pounds of carrying capacity!

I should also note that I added a factory installed solar panel but I can’t believe it weighs that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2404.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	320060  
edscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edscam View Post
Our new 2019 Sport 16 arrived, and I went to look at it today. I took photos to review when I got home, and I have some concerns about the weights and carrying capacity. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on the sticker is 3,500 pounds and matches expectations. However, the manufactured weight is 3,072 pounds, and the carrying capacity is only 428 pounds. This is well below the advertised base weight of 2,860 pounds and carrying capacity of 640 pounds. Has anyone else seen similar numbers? If this is correct, I've lost over 200 pounds of carrying capacity!

I should also note that I added a factory installed solar panel but I can’t believe it weighs that much.
Does the "advertised" base weight include the battery or propane tanks?
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
2019 Sport 16 - Weight and Carrying Capacity

Fill the propane tanks and fresh water tank and then get the trailer weighed. Then load the trailer for a trip and weigh it again. 428 lbs is a lot of stuff to put inside a 16’.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!!

YEP...low CCC.

The numbers for some of the newer trailers have gotten better, but obviously not all.

Our 25 Classic is only 676lb.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_68e.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	320092  
Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I will say that when I brought something like this up when Airstream redesigned the axle/tires for the Basecamp, the reply was that those numbers are for the axle and unlike a car, part of a trailers weight is always supported by the hitch, whether on the truck or on the ground, so it isn't all supported tires and axle and actually had more capacity than what is stated. Soooo... so long as your axle measured weight is 3500 or less your good

Edit: unless of course you read the first line of Robert's paperwork, then I'm back to no excuse for them switching to underrated tires for the remodel.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #6
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I completely agree and noticed this as well. You have a 23 gal fresh tank. Fill that and travel with a few gallons black and grey and you're at 27 gallons of fluids. That's 225 lbs right there, leaving you 200 lbs left.

200 lbs is nothing.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I will say that when I brought something like this up when Airstream redesigned the axle/tires for the Basecamp, the reply was that those numbers are for the axle and unlike a car, part of a trailers weight is always supported by the hitch, whether on the truck or on the ground, so it isn't all supported tires and axle and actually had more capacity than what is stated. Soooo... so long as your axle measured weight is 3500 or less your good
YEP...but if your GVWR is 7300lb and you have two 3500lb axles your already in the hole.
Our last CAT had the AS axle's at 7260, with a 'light' load.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
It is my understanding that the base weight includes the propane tanks and battery. I also thought that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 3,500 pounds and that this is not the Gross Axel Weight Rating. I'm just not sure how they could misrepresent/estimate the carrying capacity by approximately 30%. I also calculated the remaining capacity with a full tank of water...
Old 08-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I completely agree and noticed this as well. You have a 23 gal fresh tank. Fill that and travel with a few gallons black and grey and you're at 27 gallons of fluids. That's 225 lbs right there, leaving you 200 lbs left.

200 lbs is nothing.
Like Randy said, add about 300 lbs back for the tongue weight (378 tongue weight minus a guess of 78 going back to the axles with a WD hitch) and that gets you some room. It seems like pretty slim cargo capacity but personally I would not worry.

GVWR and GAWR are the same in thiis case. The bottom tag in your picture shows both.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Like Randy said, add about 300 lbs back for the tongue weight (378 tongue weight minus a guess of 78 going back to the axles with a WD hitch) and that gets you some room. It seems like pretty slim cargo capacity but personally I would not worry.

GVWR and GAWR are the same in thiis case. The bottom tag in your picture shows both.
So you are assuming they set gvwr at the axle capacity and that the frame itself can tolerate more. A fair assumption but couldn't they just use a larger axle!?!?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
So you are assuming they set gvwr at the axle capacity and that the frame itself can tolerate more. A fair assumption but couldn't they just use a larger axle!?!?
For this I would say yes, if you look at where they go from single to dual axles, I don't think that and extra 1.5' feet of trailer frame warrants 2000lbs or more of GVWR increase. So wheels and bearings are where the numbers mostly come from.

Makes me think of the Ford commercial where they hang all trucks from the one frame, not from the wheels

Same thing as adding a tag axle to a class A or SRW vs duallys on an Interstate
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
It's the assumption I would make if it were my trailer. I believe the next axle is 5000 lb and maybe they thought that was overkill? Especially when the trailer was supposed to weigh 200 lbs less.

OP, you didn't get a rear bumper installed or front segment protectors?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
I am having the protectors and bumper installed on the trailer aftermarket (have been ordered), so they will also eat into the capacity (approximately 75 pounds). Airstream no longer does this at the factory. The parts are ordered separately, arrive at a different time, and are installed by the dealer. Therefore, the sticker does not take these items into account. I'm still amazed at a 30%% difference when Airstream is known for their high quality.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
Just spoke with a representative from Airstream. They are saying that the manufactured weight of each trailer will vary (which I understand), even up to the 30% in this case. The representative did check and confirmed that the Gross Axel Weight Rating is 3,500 pounds, so I think the assumptions by everyone here are spot on. He did caveat and say for safety they recommend the 3,500 GVWR to determine carrying capacity.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:

Does the factory solar for the 16' include an upgrade from one wet cell battery to two AGM batteries?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
The upgrade includes 1 AGM so the extra weight is not the battery. I'm still looking for a reason like that also!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
The upgrade includes 1 AGM so the extra weight is not the battery. I'm still looking for a reason like that also!
The 198 lbs includes ( after ) having 240 lbs of water on board so if you are staying at campground with water and sewer hookups you wouldn’t need to carry a full load of water that’s 240 lbs. You may want to carry a few gallons for flushing enroute to use toilet. Good camping with your new trailer.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
The 198 lbs includes ( after ) having 240 lbs of water on board so if you are staying at campground with water and sewer hookups you wouldn’t need to carry a full load of water that’s 240 lbs. You may want to carry a few gallons for flushing enroute to use toilet. Good camping with your new trailer.
Not to stray off topic but I find it to be a good practice to always travel with full water when possible (and no grey/black). We've been glad we did several times over the years. This includes arriving at parks with no potable water or unplanned boondocking for a few days when the opportunity arises.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
We have a 2017 16' Sport and the weak link for us isn't the load capacity of the trailer but the capacity of the load dist. / sway hitch. The dealer recommended the lightest hitch possible which was an Equalizer with a 400 lb max. tounge weight. A tounge weight of less than 400 lb. requires traveling no fresh water in the tank.
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Just spoke with a representative from Airstream.SNIP He did caveat and say for safety they recommend the 3,500 GVWR to determine carrying capacity.
Well that makes sense, since in our case the GVWR is 300lb more than the axle rating...for safety? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸