Old 09-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

2018 22' Sport
Bonaire , Georgia
2018 Sport 22FB Black Tank Flush Filled Fresh Water Tank

So we were packing to leave, and I very dumbly left the hose connected to the black tank flush for a few minutes while I packed some stuff. The spigot was ON to flush the tank, the black valve closed to let it fill a bit. Cleaning the bathroom, my wife noticed to toilet beginning to fill, and she yelled out to me. I quickly turned off the hose and dumped the black tank -- close call, disaster averted!

But I next discovered the Fresh tank reading 77% full, though it had been 0% all week. What? Somehow me letting the hose run too long into the black tank flush resulted in a lot if water in the fresh tank? (We had not connected anything to the fresh water intake all week; we never do) How can this be? Did I somehow infect my fresh tank? Note we drained it, with the pump on, and there was definitely a lot of water in it, so not a sensor error.

Thoughts?

Paul

portopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
2018 Sport 22FB Black Tank Flush Filled Fresh Water Tank

Not connected, no problem. Black flush will not fill fresh tank, but a leaking check valve in your water pump will cause exactly what you describe. Running the pump, ironically, may have cleared the sediment out of the check valve and now it may not happen again...

Search “leaking water pump check valve” on the forums for more incidents!

‘Twas a mere coincidence, nothing to fear here, move on to the next campout!!

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by portopa View Post
So we were packing to leave, and I very dumbly left the hose connected to the black tank flush for a few minutes while I packed some stuff. The spigot was ON to flush the tank, the black valve closed to let it fill a bit. Cleaning the bathroom, my wife noticed to toilet beginning to fill, and she yelled out to me. I quickly turned off the hose and dumped the black tank -- close call, disaster averted!

But I next discovered the Fresh tank reading 77% full, though it had been 0% all week. What? Somehow me letting the hose run too long into the black tank flush resulted in a lot if water in the fresh tank? (We had not connected anything to the fresh water intake all week; we never do) How can this be? Did I somehow infect my fresh tank? Note we drained it, with the pump on, and there was definitely a lot of water in it, so not a sensor error.

Thoughts?

Paul
No crisis! Coincidence. As Rich stated, the fresh tank filled earlier, probably via the check valve in the water pump being stuck open. There is NO connection between the fresh and black or grey tanks. Another common error is to attach the city water hose to the black flush thinking it's the city water connection. There have been instances of black water coming out of the roof tank vent from that :-0
Congrats on your first post!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

2018 22' Sport
Bonaire , Georgia
Thanks for the two excellent replies. I am very much relieved!

Paul
portopa is offline   Reply With Quote