Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

2018 22' Sport
Westford , Vermont
2018 asSport 22 dual Battery

Has anyone added 2 group size 24 batteries to the airstream sport? it doesnt seem to fit.
Treadwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
There are other threads related to this, you might try searching a bit. The factory box is not designed to support 2 batteries, however my 2011 22FB had the battery tray area modified and can hold 2 group 24s easily. In my case I switched to a 100Ah (useable) lithium battery, so I went from ~80Ah useable (on a good day) that weight 80# to a single 100Ah that weighs 29#. I installed my lithium under the bed, as all of those with a 22FB and lithium have done from what I've seen.

I will warn that the lithium conversion should have at least $1500 budgeted for the first 100Ah, and then ~$1k for each increment of 100Ah.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
There are other threads related to this, you might try searching a bit. The factory box is not designed to support 2 batteries, however my 2011 22FB had the battery tray area modified and can hold 2 group 24s easily. In my case I switched to a 100Ah (useable) lithium battery, so I went from ~80Ah useable (on a good day) that weight 80# to a single 100Ah that weighs 29#. I installed my lithium under the bed, as all of those with a 22FB and lithium have done from what I've seen.

I will warn that the lithium conversion should have at least $1500 budgeted for the first 100Ah, and then ~$1k for each increment of 100Ah.
I have been reading a lot of your posts with great interest. After all the publicity the last few years do you really sleep on top of a lithium battery at night? Is there some sort of pre-alarm available for all the dangers of that like over-current, rapid heat buildup & fumes? I realize you can observe good practices in the installation but that would shite scare the stuff out of me.

In the Transit van build forums they are typically mounted outside in metal boxes to the under-chassis.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
2018 asSport 22 dual Battery

My battery has internal BMS that limits current, prevents over discharge, etc. LFP/LiFePO4 batteries are not even remotely the same as a lithium polymer battery. What “publicity” are you referring to? I am not aware of any catastrophic failure for LFP batteries that wasn’t due to negligence or physical destruction to the battery cells, and even then LFP isn’t remotely as exciting as LiPo. Put a nail through a LiPo pack and you get a magnificent fireworks display, LFP barely does anything in comparison.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Also, there are no fumes from an LFP battery, toxic fumes are from unsealed lead acid batteries. The LFP batteries are fully sealed and are composed for many many individually sealed batteries cells.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Some more reading for you regarding "safety" of LFP batteries. I really think you must be confusing LFP for other "lithium" batteries, as LFP is very safe. http://offgridham.com/2016/03/about-lifepo4-batteries/
Quote:
LiFePO4 is a very stable compound, which makes it much safer than other lithium based batteries. You may have seen news stories about lithium batteries spontaneously combusting in computers, kids’ toys, and commercial aircraft. There is no such thing as a battery magically catching fire for no reason. These incidents involved other versions of lithium batteries and were caused by overcharging, short circuits, or abuse that generates a lot of heat and releases oxygen, which further feeds the fire. This extremely dangerous cyclical process is known as thermal runaway and once started can be very hard to stop.

Thermal runaway is nearly a chemical impossibility with LiFePO4 because the oxygen atoms share electrons in a very strong covalent bond. The bottom line: The harder it is to break the bond between oxygen atoms, the less likely it is the compound will become unstable, release energy in the form of heat, and catch fire.

What you need to know: LiFePO4 is the safest, most chemically stable battery on the consumer market. It would require extreme negligence or willful abuse to cause a fire in one of these batteries.

https://coastalsolar.com/lithium-iro...-vs-lead-acid/
Quote:
LFP solar batteries will not explode or catch fire. They use very stable chemical compounds. They are stable even at high temperatures. And if you’re wondering about those exploding laptops and cell phones from a few years ago, those were lithium-cobalt batteries. Not the same thing.

In contrast, lead batteries have all sorts of stuff that can go wrong without proper maintenance, like spilled or leaking acid.
Quote:
The chemicals in the LFP solar batteries are non-toxic and cause no harm to the environment. They contain no rare metals or what is commonly referred to as battery acid – which is very dangerous.

Lead batteries, on the other hand, use dangerous chemicals that are harmful – to you and to the fish. So even if you maintain it properly, disposing of a lead battery is environmentally problematic. Regardless of whether you consider yourself an ‘environmentalist,’ choosing lithium over lead is an easy way to help the planet and impress your friends.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Thanks SHD good to know.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Going back to your original question...has anyone "added" a group 24 battery. Yes, I did it and it has worked out very well. Since the space between the two steel frame members is so tight two batteries will not fit. What you need to do is..(at least what I did) using scrap 2x4's and a small pcs of marine plywood is build up a small platform to sit the batteries on. The platform will sit in the space the original battery sat in. I also added aluminum 2 x 2 angle to keep the battery boxes on the platform and finished it off with two adjustable straps. I'm in my third season with this set up and it has been trouble free.

Also at the time of the addition I added a 1000 watt inverter under the bed and installed two outlets...one behind the tv and the other under the front side of the bed. My wife and I use Cpap machines and when the power is off and we're not connected to shoreline this outlet has paid for the price of the additional battery.

In the event you do something similar you need to have "two identical fresh batteries" or the older one will kill the newer.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Next week I have to go to my AS in storage and swap the converter, I will try to remember to take pictures of how my A-frame was adapted for 2 Group24s. Looks like it just took someone with some angle iron and a welder to fab it up. Unless the A-frame on my 2011 is so different than the new models, which I doubt since the Sport line changes very slowly.