Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
2018 22FB Sport Loose Axle

I purchased a used 2018 22FB Sport from Airstream Tampa in April. I imported into Canada which required both federal and provincial inspections. The provincial inspection was a complete mechanical verification that found the axle loose. The inspection shop did provincial inspections from motorcycles to heavy trucks and where able to lift the trailer and retighten the axle.

I contacted Airstream Tampa that had no answer and suggested I contact Airstream directly (great service...). I did contact airstream and they got back to me and confirmed they had never seen this before and questioned how the previous owner's use of the 22FB. The unit was used less than a year and shows no miss use.

I am now questioning if the axle is defective as I have had my share of cabinet doors coming off though I have to admit I have gone through some rough Quebec roads.

I have an appointment with the local airstream dealer for the recall and will ask him to check the axle at the same time this fall.

Has someone seen this issue or have clues?
duboismjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I would contact Airstream by phone, customer service and get a ticket number to prove you bought it from a dealer and are now reporting a problem. It is possible (as anything is possible) the axle is loose on the frame. But someone is responsible for it IF IT IS ACTUALLY LOOSE.

All caps because I think the 'so called' mechanical inspection may have been a little zealous and may have in fact not have reported factual defects. Your provi inspection seems a little 'over the top'. Did they check the cabinet door handles, toilet flush valve, and the shiny aluminum finish as well?
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Although I am not sure about your trailer, most Airstreams use Dexter Torflex axles which are mounted using two large bolts on each end of the axle. If those bolts are slightly loose, the Airstream frame would still sit securely on top of the axle mount. Unless your axle was free to bounce around, it is probably not damaged.

Although Airstream reports not seeing this before, the Dexter website says about the "light duty" (up to 8000 pounds) Torflex axles, "Except for periodic inspection of the fasteners used to attach the TORFLEX axle to the vehicle frame, no other suspension maintenance is required on TORFLEX axles." That suggest to me that Dexter realizes that the fasteners (bolts, nuts, and washers) can work loose during use.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Just attaching as a point of interest broken belleville washer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...sh-192699.html

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If you have stuff moving around inside, perhaps your tire pressure is too high?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Lake Forest , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by duboismjjp View Post
I purchased a used 2018 22FB Sport from Airstream Tampa in April. I imported into Canada which required both federal and provincial inspections. The provincial inspection was a complete mechanical verification that found the axle loose. The inspection shop did provincial inspections from motorcycles to heavy trucks and where able to lift the trailer and retighten the axle.

I contacted Airstream Tampa that had no answer and suggested I contact Airstream directly (great service...). I did contact airstream and they got back to me and confirmed they had never seen this before and questioned how the previous owner's use of the 22FB. The unit was used less than a year and shows no miss use.

I am now questioning if the axle is defective as I have had my share of cabinet doors coming off though I have to admit I have gone through some rough Quebec roads.

I have an appointment with the local airstream dealer for the recall and will ask him to check the axle at the same time this fall.

Has someone seen this issue or have clues?

I also bought a used 2018 22FB and during dealer inspection, they found cause to replace the entire axle under warranty. I didn’t get the details, but it seemed they knew what they were looking for. I’d be curious what the dealer says once they look at it.

-Rich
TheSquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
Good point, I do check tire pressure and i'm around recommended 80 lbs
Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
Rich, I would appreciate if you could tell me the name of the dealer you bought your 22FB from. I already mentioned to the local airstream dealer to take a look, but they did not seem to be too sure how they could inspect it being enclosed. Maybe they can contact your dealer for more information.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You initially reported that the inspection shop found that the axle was loose and was able to "retighten" it for you. Now you say that the local Airstream dealer says that "it" is enclosed. I am not sure what you are asking the dealer to do for you.

The axle itself is external to the other parts of the trailer. The only enclosed part is the internal construction of the axle and, assuming that it is a Dexter Duraflex axle, that internal part is simply compressed rubber and steel. Inspection of the internal parts would destroy the axle.

Your trailer has a single axle and is known for being light. I suggest that a tire pressure of 80 psi is unnecessarily high. The harsh ride resulting from that tire pressure could easily be the reason for your cabinet doors shaking loose.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Lake Forest , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by duboismjjp View Post
Rich, I would appreciate if you could tell me the name of the dealer you bought your 22FB from. I already mentioned to the local airstream dealer to take a look, but they did not seem to be too sure how they could inspect it being enclosed. Maybe they can contact your dealer for more information.

Airstream Orange County in Southern California. I looked through my paperwork and there wasn’t any detail on why they replaced the axle.
TheSquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do yourself a BIG favor and install the lift kit while you're messing with the axles. You'll never regret it!
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
And be Very Careful reducing tire pressures from the recommended. Trailer tires should be inflated to their posted maximum weight carrying pressure. 80 psi is common on these tires and running them underinflated can lead to tire failure, which on a single axle can become wreck-causing.

The fasteners/bolts which attach the axle to their mountings utilize self-locking nuts. These nuts have indentations that upset the bolt threads and cause a form of minor “jamming” which prevents their loosening underway. If they were never properly torqued initially, then properly torquing them mighty work just fine. But if they were loose because they were removed and then re-used.... they must be disposed and new hardware installed...or the same looseness is likely to reoccur.

He admitted he trailered over rough roads and those can indeed cause the cabinet hinges to unlatch and objects move about. BTDT
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote