Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, each of us has our own opinion on TV's, for sure...but you can not control the unexpected on the road when towing. I was cut off with my F150 at 65 earlier this year, when a guy decided to try and speed by me in the slow lane...when my wife spotted him speed-swerving to go around on my right as I was changing lanes, I overcorrected left back to fast lane, and fortunately, the weight of the TV and anti-sway BlueOx hitch saved us. I am sure my old Tahoe would have not handled it as nicely as the F150. Also, a 22' Sport is at 4500lbs loaded not counting extra gear in TV- think the Highlander is at 5K max tow weight? Could be wrong there... good luck in your decisions... in any case, be safe in your choice; its a jungle out there.

I would think the Tahoe is actually a heavier TV than an empty F150 since they are both essentially half ton chassis vehicles. The Tahoe just has a lower payload and tow rating...
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post

But the 23 FB is the only one with a window that opens in the bathroom. But not in the galley.
Not so. The 22' Sports windows open in the bathroom.
Also, as regards the HEHR windows...while they do not open full-length and only open their lower, hinged portions...those contribute to a forceful in-rush of air when the fan is running, making for pleasant sleeping. We have dry camped in Texas summers and did fine in the evenings. (Days were spent under the awning with a cool beverage.)

I should have mentioned previously (with regard to the long wheelbase recommendation I made) that the trailer, pushing the TV downhill, will become especially dangerous on downhill curves. Imagine it pushing on your rear bumper, thereby pushing your rear axle to the outside of any curve. Now think slick pavement. (Don't even THINK of towing on ice anywhere!)

AWD usually has slip-differentials for travelling on dry pavement, and that's good...until you need 4WD on slippery, wet grass, etc.,... and THEN you need limited-slip or locking axles on both. AWD will not be helpful once one wheel begins to slip in those instances.

I used to have AWD vehicle and prefer that on pavement, but have since changed over to 4WD lockers for more serious pulling in slippery grass, gravel, boat-ramps, etc. (While AWD is good for a vehicle alone on slippery pavement.... by the time conditions reward that choice...it's WAY too slippery for any type of towing! Keep in mind that trailer-braking can only be effective while the trailer tires maintain grip. By the time slippery conditions have developed, the remote-ness of the feel for trailer-alone braking makes things "iffy" at best. When those trailer tires begin to slide on wet pavement... you've lost all help from the trailer and it becomes the tail wagging-the-dog. You definitely will re-evaluate any lightweight TV choices you may have made.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I would think the Tahoe is actually a heavier TV than an empty F150 since they are both essentially half ton chassis vehicles. The Tahoe just has a lower payload and tow rating...
Boxite is accurate in his description. As for Tahoe vs 1/2 T pickup, I know my Tahoe's were just "ok" pulling my 25'. (understand we are talking about a 22 sport here) But, my point is, the F150 is 2+ feet longer in both wheel base and total length, and can carry and tow a lot more lbs. Mine can tow up to 10K and Tahoe is around 8K as I recall. Nothing wrong with going minimum on a TV, I said earlier...just not what I would do after 3 AS's and 3 TV's....just saying.

As for the window discussion, I would not suggest that because you are comfortable outside, you will be cLoomfortable inside an AS with either window. We have been in 90degree heat with a breeze and nice wind outside, but inside, without the air, was miserable until sun went down. Borrego Springs in January....The fans do help. I have never camped in a sport but I do know that those larger windows hinged at the top are really nice when open. Also, not having a "opening window" in the bathroom?? come on; how much time do you spend in the bathroom anyway....your supposed to be outside enjoying the great outdoors! :-)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Not so. The 22' Sports windows open in the bathroom.
Also, as regards the HEHR windows...while they do not open full-length and only open their lower, hinged portions...those contribute to a forceful in-rush of air when the fan is running, making for pleasant sleeping. We have dry camped in Texas summers and did fine in the evenings. (Days were spent under the awning with a cool beverage.)
If I was not clear i apologize.

I HAVE and RECOMMEND the 22 sport.
For those very reasons.
What I was trying to state is that other than the 22 sport, the only other AS that has an operable window in the bathroom is the 23 FB. But the 23 FB kitchen window does not open, and the kitchen window on the 22 sport is operational.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
What has not been mentioned is that the front window of the 22 Sport is very large and opens. This is at the hitch end of the trailer and is right over the bed.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:13 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

AWD usually has slip-differentials for travelling on dry pavement, and that's good...until you need 4WD on slippery, wet grass, etc.,... and THEN you need limited-slip or locking axles on both. AWD will not be helpful once one wheel begins to slip in those instances.

I used to have AWD vehicle and prefer that on pavement, but have since changed over to 4WD lockers for more serious pulling in slippery grass, gravel, boat-ramps, etc. (While AWD is good for a vehicle alone on slippery pavement.... by the time conditions reward that choice...it's WAY too slippery for any type of towing! Keep in mind that trailer-braking can only be effective while the trailer tires maintain grip. By the time slippery conditions have developed, the remote-ness of the feel for trailer-alone braking makes things "iffy" at best. When those trailer tires begin to slide on wet pavement... you've lost all help from the trailer and it becomes the tail wagging-the-dog. You definitely will re-evaluate any lightweight TV choices you may have made.)
AWD is simply full time 4WD. Either can have or not have lockers. My RR has rear and center lockers, and strong traction algorithms that make it near impossible to get stuck. There are plenty of AWD systems that will vastly outperform 4WD systems, which generally don't utilize much traction logic. Older Audi Torsen systems are pretty great. Even more important is proper tires.

Also, some new vehicles have row safety logic which brake individual wheels to prevent sway (LR at least). Many variables
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I own a 2016 Ford Explorer with the V6 3.5 motor. It is the Limited addition and own Sport 22FB like you wish to acquire. I've run the wheels off the car and trailer this season...spending 70 nights in it and well over 8000 miles towing.

At the time we bought the Ford we looked hard at the Highlander as they are very close in features but the Ford offered a bit more space behind the 3rd row seating which was important for us.

Living in western rockies a good bit of my towing has been towing out here. We did make one trip back east across the plains and the winds hit our gas mileage pretty hard. For 5000 thousand miles we averaged just under 13 mpg.

Ford requires AWD to get the maximum towing ratio.....5000 lbs with a WD Hitch. Frankly, I am really pleased with the performance of this set up. If I were to do it again I would go with the large Ecco Boast motor. Not for the horse power but the torque. My daughter bought 2017 Platinum Edition our car and it is bascally the same car with the exception of the larger motor.

This vehicle is an "everyday driver" and frankly I believe you would find the AWD version to offer a lot of features. For one thing the handling of the car with full adults really holds the road so much better in all kinds of weather conditions. I like the security knowing that there are four wheels under power gripping the road rather than just two.
https://whosoever.smugmug.com/Travel...ey/i-GNFbNgW/A
Hope you find this info helpful.

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
AWD is simply full time 4WD. Either can have or not have lockers. My RR has rear and center lockers, and strong traction algorithms that make it near impossible to get stuck. There are plenty of AWD systems that will vastly outperform 4WD systems, which generally don't utilize much traction logic. Older Audi Torsen systems are pretty great. Even more important is proper tires.

Also, some new vehicles have row safety logic which brake individual wheels to prevent sway (LR at least). Many variables
My comment was as AWD pertains to dry pavement vs wet/slippery pavement. AWD is not "simply full time 4WD". AWD implies differential-free-wheeling in curves which would transfer most horsepower to a spinning wheel instead of sharing the load amongst all wheels, ...and MAY include the ability to lock differentials to mimic live axles (depending on mfr'r options),...but that capability is not necessarily true without those options in all AWD vehicles. 4WD w/lockers can work against you on dry pavement, as AWD (with differential operational/non-locking, as most are) will be self-defeating/possibly dangerous on slippery surfaces.
Certainly the difference should be noted and researched on individual vehicles prior to purchase or use, is all I intended.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
2016 22' Sport
Lecanto , Florida
Sport and highlander

We have a 2016 sport 22fb and tow it with a 2016 toyota highlander.We weighed it on our last trip loaded for a week long, 1000 mile trip and the trailer axel weight was 3780 pounds and the tow vehicle front steer axel was 2500 pounds ,the rear axel was 2660. All well with in rated ranges. We have towed from florida to pennsylvania and back ,including the mountains of VA. and NC without any power or brake issues.We did buy the factory hauling package,and i believe that makes this vehicle a good tow vehicle for this weight airstream.
WDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #30
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I purchased a 2017 22FB. The 23FB has two flaws I don't like. If you open the dinette window nearest the door and the door swings open it will collide with the window and break it. Also if the pantry door is open and someone in the bathroom opens the bathroom door they will damage the pantry door.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #31
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We've had our 23FB for 5 years. Haven't run into either of the issues mentioned above. What is more of a problem is that when the main door is open all the way, it blocks the view of the person sitting in the rearmost seat of the dinette. We prefer having the bedroom up front because we usually have a much better view out the back. The main reason I would consider a 25 vs a 23 is to get a rear dinette. No one loses a view that way. But you give up too much going to a 25 (imho). (Smaller is better, if you don't mind close quarters.) We are outside as much as possible anyway.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Jeep TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I pull mine with a Jeep Wrangler JKU with 3.6 Pentastar. Great TV and great engine/transmission.

Attachment 274030
I've purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar 3.6 and would love any feedback you could provide on it?
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Williams Lake , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I pull mine with a Jeep Wrangler JKU with 3.6 Pentastar. Great TV and great engine/transmission.

Attachment 274030
Hi there, this trailer you are pulling with your jeep is it a 22' or a 25'? How do you find the jeep for pulling? I thought the 19' was too heavy for the jeeps towing capacity.
Squarehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #34

San Clemente , California
We have the exact truck and are planning on buying a 22FB Bambi. Sound like a perfect fit.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
I own a 2016 Ford Explorer with the V6 3.5 motor. It is the Limited addition and own Sport 22FB like you wish to acquire. I've run the wheels off the car and trailer this season...spending 70 nights in it and well over 8000 miles towing.

At the time we bought the Ford we looked hard at the Highlander as they are very close in features but the Ford offered a bit more space behind the 3rd row seating which was important for us.

Living in western rockies a good bit of my towing has been towing out here. We did make one trip back east across the plains and the winds hit our gas mileage pretty hard. For 5000 thousand miles we averaged just under 13 mpg.

Ford requires AWD to get the maximum towing ratio.....5000 lbs with a WD Hitch. Frankly, I am really pleased with the performance of this set up. If I were to do it again I would go with the large Ecco Boast motor. Not for the horse power but the torque. My daughter bought 2017 Platinum Edition our car and it is bascally the same car with the exception of the larger motor.

This vehicle is an "everyday driver" and frankly I believe you would find the AWD version to offer a lot of features. For one thing the handling of the car with full adults really holds the road so much better in all kinds of weather conditions. I like the security knowing that there are four wheels under power gripping the road rather than just two.
https://whosoever.smugmug.com/Travel...ey/i-GNFbNgW/A
Hope you find this info helpful.

Pat
As you can see that I have Explorer but not AWD. Did you have any difficult towing up the Rockies? I didn't have any problems with my now sold Coleman Niagara (3500#) towing up the Grapevine Mtns and with my new 16' Bambi. I did not have problems towing Bambi but the wind drag is more noticeable than with the popup. I do not use WDH at all. Could I tow 22' Bambi????? too close to tow max which makes me nervous.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote