Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

La Feria , Texas
2017 22fb thermostat

Anyone know how to use the thermostat? I have to run the ac on all the time because I don't know how to engage the thermostat... 😤
No1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Jones , Oklahoma
I have a 2016, but I think it's the same as the 2017. The Mode button will let you cycle through the various modes (Fan Only, A/C, Heat Pump, Furnace, Off). Additionally, there is a power button (looks like a circle with a line partially through it) that will let you turn the whole unit off as well.
alumdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I'm not quite clear what you mean by "thermostats". That sounds crazy...doesn't it. So let me answer "what I think your asking". The thermostat located on the wall next to the TV only controls the "heat/furnace". It is NOT associated with the AC/Heat Pump located on the roof of the coach. The controls for "heat or AC" are color coded. Actually you can run the "furnace" and the "ceiling heat pump" at the same time. HOWEVER, you must be connected to "30 AM shore power" or at least a "3000 Watt or higher generator" to operate it.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

La Feria , Texas
Where might I find the mode button?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I think you're asking a question similar to one I had ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1up View Post
Anyone know how to use the thermostat? I have to run the ac on all the time because I don't know how to engage the thermostat... 😤
We previously owned a 22 ft. Sport. One of my complaints was that the air conditioner ran only in continuous mode or off. It doesn't function like the units on most other Airstreams.

Following is a thread I had inquiring what would be involved to install a different thermostat which would allow the unit to cycle on or off when the desired temp is reached:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...rt-131589.html

Unfortunately ... the 22 ft. Sport air conditioning unit doesn't allow the unit to cycle on or off on it's own ... it's either on or off.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
So to understand, the choice is that it just keeps blowing continuously or it doesn't blow at all? I'm taking delivery of mine next week and that's slightly disconcerting. Can one at least adjust fan speed? Does the compressor stay on the entire time?

I would have to imagine it's able to be rigged up, but from my research here, Frank&Mike would not be afraid to tackle such a thing. So if that's the word, it's slightly disappointing.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

La Feria , Texas
So what's the thermostat for? Lol
Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Don't Let Me Discourage You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
So to understand, the choice is that it just keeps blowing continuously or it doesn't blow at all? I'm taking delivery of mine next week and that's slightly disconcerting. Can one at least adjust fan speed? Does the compressor stay on the entire time?

I would have to imagine it's able to be rigged up, but from my research here, Frank&Mike would not be afraid to tackle such a thing. So if that's the word, it's slightly disappointing.
Don't let my reply discourage you with your upcoming purchase ... but that's how ours operated ... it was continuous blow or no blow at all ... the fan speed could be adjusted though ... maybe they have upgraded the units since ours ... ours was a 2015 22 ft. Sport. I will admit however this is one of the primary factors in our decision to sell the 22 ft. Sport and return to a larger Airstream.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Don't let my reply discourage you with your upcoming purchase ... but that's how ours operated ... it was continuous blow or no blow at all ... the fan speed could be adjusted though ... maybe they have upgraded the units since ours ... ours was a 2015 22 ft. Sport. I will admit however this is one of the primary factors in our decision to sell the 22 ft. Sport and return to a larger Airstream.
Well, I have no other option at this point, as my TV is a Tesla and the 22 has the right frontal area and weight profile. I'll rig it if I need to do so. I've completely automated my homes for the last couple of decades, so I have plenty of "rigging it up" experience. Easiest would be to attach an external thermostat to a dry relay, and leave the AC switch on. When the thermostat turned on, the relay would turn on, and the AC would run. Then, back off. I'm sure there are better solutions but that's the first quick one that comes to mind.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
The ceiling mounted AC unit is a very basic type of unit. It is not controlled be a thermostat like your house. More like a PTAC unit like in a hotel.

When in use, it is on. You can set the fan lower or higher, and the temperature lower or higher. The temperature setting will control the compressor coming on, running for a bit, and then turning off. It works fine, but it's not fancy. It can also run fan only, or with an electric heat option. But if this appliance is being used, it is on and blowing. It works just fine, and is fairly straightforward.

There is also a propane furnace in the Sport 22. It is controlled by a wall thermostat on the wall by the refrigerator. It works more like a home furnace. The blower comes on, the burners light, the space warms, the thermostat is satisfied ,and it all turns off until the temperature lowers so that the thermostat kicks it all on again.

Oh, and FYI I don't believe standard 24v controls will work on these systems, so you may be doing a bit of gerryrigging to try out your ideas.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Oh, and FYI I don't believe standard 24v controls will work on these systems, so you may be doing a bit of gerryrigging to try out your ideas.
Thanks very much for the detail and information. Regarding the above, the dry contact should remove the need for voltage requirements. I can run a standard thermostat with dry contact off of the 120V AC supply (I won't be running AC if I'm not connected to my 30A, so the 120V should be active), and that dry contact isn't voltage dependent. It's like clipping a wire, then putting it back together. But I won't know for sure until I get it.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge of this coach.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Happy to help. I am also not sure if the AC unit is using any type of temperature controls with set points for the compressor or just a timer. So that may also be a consideration to explore.

Also to clarify from some of the earlier posts, the sport 22 is an AC with electric heat strip. It is not a heat pump (no reverse cycle).

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The AC unit thermostat works on temperature but is fairly crude. All it does is control the compressor. The blower will run continuously. I don't find that bad at all, as it keeps the place ventilated and avoids mold growth.

The furnace will cycle on/off including the fan. However, the small lever which switches the unit on or off is incredibly stiff to operate. You'll think you're going to break something to get it to the ON or OFF position, ...while the temperature control on the bottom is very sensitive. Once you find the spot where you like the temperature...leave it alone.
At least that's the way we work it.

We also carry a small electric heater with a fan that we use in the bathroom and as a backup should the furnace fail. Although the furnace is ducted to the bathroom... the lack of duct insulation and distance of that duct results in cool air blowing into the bath area.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #14

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Land O' Lakes , Florida
Airstream 22fb vs Rockwood Hard side High wall A214HW

2018 Airstream 22fb Price: $55,909
-Bed length - 78"
-Thermostat for Air conditioning: NO

2018 Hard side High wall A214HW (A-Frame pop-up) Price: $14,495.00
-Bed Length 80"
-Thermostat for Air Conditioning: YES

My house, my $50,00 car and my $13,000 A-Frame Popup has Thermostats for Air Conditioning. Pay for a $55,000 Air Stream with no climate control, I don't think so.

It's a deal breaker. The largest or one of the largest Airstream dealers said, "Airstream will never put a Thermostat in their 16 and 22 sport models." So, that means I will never buy one. When I visited my local Airstream dealer on August 12, 2017, I could not believe that Airstream still hasn't done this. Even my 2009 VW Jetta Wagon had Climate control. Maybe the 2019 models will have this. According to my local Airstream dealer, Airstream does this to force first time buyers to quickly upgrade when they realize this problem.
This firmly puts Airstream in the low quality category. I was ready to buy one, I was looking forward to it. Now I know that will never happen. I am very disappointed.
iAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we put a std home model AC/heat digital thermostat in our sport 22FB. it only controls the heat of course
it runs off a battery and has the controls to work the furnace
no issues in the last 3 months
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote