Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Those of you sleeping well in your AS, is that with a factory mattress? I’m trying to find a good mattress option for our 22FB, our 2011 mattress is a horrendous. We added 4” foam topper to get it remotely tolerable, but it still is lacking.

Are the new factory mattresses good? Or go with a custom one elsewhere?
SHD,
I think the beds after a certain year in the 22FB switched to the NASA (Mis-described as Swedish) pillow-top foam + innerspring in a custom shape. Our 2018 is fantastic and requires no additions. It is curved in the front so it’s better to use oversized sheets.

I bet if you call the Mothership you can get the manufacturer name or perhaps order direct from them. However be prepared to take out a bank loan. I heard the ultra leather cushions for the table were hideously expensive so expect the bed mattress to be likewise.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
We installed a Lagun mount as well. I posted pictures somewhere. We used the existing table top and have not actually tried setting up as a bed, but it seems like it should still work even without the center post. Two things: First, the table top overlaps the three sides of the dinette fairly significantly. No supplemental side pieces should be necessary. Second, when the table top is in position in “bed” mode, the cushions that sit on top of it are the two small back cushions on the outsides of the dinette. They are thinner than the seat cushions by about the same thickness as the table. When our bed is set up with the table top, the cushions are all the same height.

We are still considering adding a temporary support (some kind of short tension rod would be best) under the table top for when we do need to set it up in bed mode. It seems like it could see saw flip off the three sided support towards the galley if the sleeper turned the wrong way.
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSoozy View Post
Second, when the table top is in position in “bed” mode, the cushions that sit on top of it are the two small back cushions on the outsides of the dinette. They are thinner than the seat cushions by about the same thickness as the table. When our bed is set up with the table top, the cushions are all the same height.

That was an obvious solution by the manufacturer and was the first thing I looked for. Ours (2018) is only a year newer than yours, but our ultra-leather outside back cushions are of the same thickness.

When I had the large original table I was really inspired to find a full coverage cushion and thus the Exped mattress, but I am now finding that with the new smaller teak table the area is much more comfortable and usable as it is. I enjoy sitting here with a laptop while also watching one of the TV screens above (our country is self destructing right now)

So I think the "couch mode", although also very comfortable, will probably not be used so much, but without the backrest cushions it will make a far superior 2nd bed and not be a strain on the ultra-leather for that purpose. Who wants drool on their ultra-leather?
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
“That was an obvious solution by the manufacturer and was the first thing I looked for. Ours (2018) is only a year newer than yours, but our ultra-leather outside back cushions are of the same thickness.”

Now why would they go and ruin a perfectly good idea like that? That’s a fairly short seating surface anyway and barely bearable now. I can see why you want the whole area for seating!

As for drool, I have my son’s old thickish XL twin mattress pad in a stuff sack packed under the dinette to protect the cushions should we host a drooler
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSoozy View Post
As for drool, I have my son’s old thickish XL twin mattress pad in a stuff sack packed under the dinette to protect the cushions should we host a drooler
No kidding! I have been reading this morning that a set of those cushions runs about $3300! Just someone restless in their sleep could probably do damage, and what do you do, chew them out in the morning for it?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Drool

Cry.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
Great fit for all general activities. Pushes down flush with the exception of the 1/4” very helpful lip around the marine cabin intended table. My wife misses the prep space however.
Okay, I bought and installed the same table top. We love it. What makes it even more special is that we live on our boat in the south in the winter and the Airstream in the summer. It's like a piece of our boat.
Textdocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textdocs View Post
Okay, I bought and installed the same table top. We love it. What makes it even more special is that we live on our boat in the south in the winter and the Airstream in the summer. It's like a piece of our boat.
Yeah it’s pretty cool! Congrats! A great look. My wife ordered some teak oil and routinely applies a coat. It’s worth the little bit of extra effort to keep the original appearance, and she picked up some complimentary cork drink coasters. All the issues with the original laminate top have sort of faded away.

I am going to attempt to add a Taco white poly dual cup holder (with the little storage nook in the middle) on 5” gliders on the aisle side (my wife nixed the other side for fear of spilling on the ultra leather bench) that will retract under the tabletop when not in use. That would/will make up for the loss of space which is a slight issue. Wish me luck I’ll report back.

Let’s see a photo Textdocs!
Old 06-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I did something a little different in our 22FB. I posted this in the "What did you do to your trailer today" thread but this one is more applicable.

We really didn't like the bump in the cushions.

I was going to trim down the original table (to repair the poorly installed trim) and then install some ledgers for it to bear on. The goal was to make it flush so there was no bump.

I found a piece of 2" thick live edge pine at Home Depot and trimmed it to fit between the benches.

The other challenge was the 3 stage Springfield Table Leg was made to stop the table from coming down any more than it did. The bump was planned!!

I had to take the leg apart and shorten it by 2" and then reassemble it. I don't recommend that unless you are very comfortable dealing with this sort of thing.

Note that the telescoping functions still bring the table to the same height so the finished top surface is actually higher by 1 1/2" than before.

The new table top fits between the benches and stops with the top flush with the benches so no more bump.

It is also a nicer size being a few inches smaller in all directions.

This is what it looks like when in the up position:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3166.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	370047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	370048  

PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i removed the moving part and used this boat style mount

no more leg in the way

the table now has much more movement and locks in any position
Where did you get it?
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
WALNUT CREEK , California
When we got our Bambi the thing I hated most was the huge post in the middle of the dinette foot area, so i after reviewing options here on the Forum, I also went with the Lagun mount. Somewhat pricey but very well made and sturdy, and provides a lot more flexibility in where you locate the table. When not dining, we can spin the table so that it is tight against the bench cushions, opening up more walking space for passing in the kitchen area.

After using the Lagun table for a bit, I did realize that the one thing missing was the ability to slide the table further out when we need to sit 4 at the dinette, so I added some T-track to the bottom with T bolts and cam action clamps so that I have complete ability to move the table around in any direction.

For the moment if we want to use the dinette as a bed we simply detach the Lagun brackets and set the table overlapping the base cabinets, but that is less secure than desired, so sometime in the future I plan to modify the tabletop to be flush with the cabinet tops for a flat surface as some other posters here have done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9195.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	370775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9194.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	370776  

Name:	IMG_9193.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	370777  
jmickow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmickow View Post
When we got our Bambi the thing I hated most was the huge post in the middle of the dinette foot area, so i after reviewing options here on the Forum, I also went with the Lagun mount. Somewhat pricey but very well made and sturdy, and provides a lot more flexibility in where you locate the table. When not dining, we can spin the table so that it is tight against the bench cushions, opening up more walking space for passing in the kitchen area.

After using the Lagun table for a bit, I did realize that the one thing missing was the ability to slide the table further out when we need to sit 4 at the dinette, so I added some T-track to the bottom with T bolts and cam action clamps so that I have complete ability to move the table around in any direction.

For the moment if we want to use the dinette as a bed we simply detach the Lagun brackets and set the table overlapping the base cabinets, but that is less secure than desired, so sometime in the future I plan to modify the tabletop to be flush with the cabinet tops for a flat surface as some other posters here have done.
Your modification looks very clean and functional. That arm appears to move in all sorts of directions which can be very helpful to use the seating area.

Making the table fit in the space to sit flush would be easy, Just add 1" ledgers at the height you need into the vertical face of the seat base. You might want to consider another table top at that point because cutting the AS supplied one will probably not end well with out some sort of metal trim to finish it.

I really like the slightly smaller size of the table which makes sitting around it a bit more comfortable. In the new Caravel, I think they have made the table smaller right out of the box.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote