Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Republic , Missouri
2016 Sport buyer

We're looking, but not sure this is right for us. Only two of us, will be hauling it with a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder (5,000 lb. towing capacity).

Any good or bad experiences to share with us?
Kingpadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Would recommend looking at Bill Thomas RV in St Louis area. Ask for Jesse.

We looked in Des Moines, Springfield, and at Bill Thomas.

Bill Thomas really knows Airstreams well. We liked the dealer in Des Moines also. We felt as though the Springfield dealer was a RV SOB dealer that happened to sell Airstreams too. I knew more than the salesperson we spoke to there.

We got a 22 sport mostly for the larger bed and bathroom, as well as tank capacity.
If you plan to dry camp away from water hookups that may be important.

If not, then the 16 may be fine.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
City , Wandering
We tow our 2015 Bambi 16 with a BMW X3. I don't know how our TVs compare, but it's an easy tow, plenty of power. We have had three adults, three cats and two dogs in it successfully, but it's much better when there are just the two of us!

We bought it with the goal of having something easy to tow, easy to unhook and leave behind, and--especially important--easy to put in small sites in national parks. There are usually only the two of us, and it's perfect for what we wanted.

Let me know if you have specific questions!
TiaDalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Republic , Missouri
Thanks for the input. We live near Springfield and we've not been impressed with the dealer here.

The 22' looks perfect, I'm just not sure about hauling it with our Pathfinder.

I'll make a call to your guy. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
We had a 2014 for a year and loved it. Tons of storage space. Fabulous unit really. Try to sleep in the bed though, just a caution. We both tried the bed at the dealer and thought it would be fine, but it turned out I could not sleep with my face next to the closet wall. No matter what. I used the dinette. We traded it on a 2015 20' and even though the bed is exactly the same size and my face is next to the divider I sleep just fine. I can see around the divider so it does not stick out nearly as far as on the 16. I know! It's a mental thing but it was a killer.

Your TV should handle the 16 fine. We initially used an FJ Cruiser to pull ours. I bought a 1/2 ton for a TV only because the gas tank on the FJ was a sad joke size wise and it was a Premium gas unit. But the FJ pulled the 16 just fine. It is a great unit all around.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
We just got our 2016 Sport 16 in June and we LOVE it! We tow it with a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that had the factory installed tow package and it was super easy to tow.
There are a total of four of us traveling -- two adults (one tall and thin, one short and fluffy) and two small dogs). The bed is comfy but probably cramped for two people so we split the space -- 1 adult and 1 dog in the bed and 1 adult and 1 dog on the lounge turned into the bed. That arrangement works perfect because we aren't on top of each other and we don't disturb each other getting in and out of bed for whatever reason.

We have had very few issues with our Bambi aka Mojo, and because I read the forum everyday and see so many issues listed, I sometimes worry that I must be overlooking something because I just don't have any major problems. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Any who, my only issue is that I'm still working full time so I don't get to travel nearly as often or as long as I would like. The good news is that I will have that to look forward to when the time comes.

Finally, since you are in KC, taking a trip over to Haydocy Airstream in Columbus, OH could be worth it for you if you aren't pleased with your local dealer. We purchased Mojo from Haydocy even though we live in PA because of the great deal and customer service.

Good luck on your search. I hope you land on the Airstream that is perfect for you!
Bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewell View Post
We just got our 2016 Sport 16 in June and we LOVE it! We tow it with a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that had the factory installed tow package and it was super easy to tow.
There are a total of four of us traveling -- two adults (one tall and thin, one short and fluffy) and two small dogs). The bed is comfy but probably cramped for two people so we split the space -- 1 adult and 1 dog in the bed and 1 adult and 1 dog on the lounge turned into the bed. That arrangement works perfect because we aren't on top of each other and we don't disturb each other getting in and out of bed for whatever reason.

We have had very few issues with our Bambi aka Mojo, and because I read the forum everyday and see so many issues listed, I sometimes worry that I must be overlooking something because I just don't have any major problems. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Any who, my only issue is that I'm still working full time so I don't get to travel nearly as often or as long as I would like. The good news is that I will have that to look forward to when the time comes.

Finally, since you are in KC, taking a trip over to Haydocy Airstream in Columbus, OH could be worth it for you if you aren't pleased with your local dealer. We purchased Mojo from Haydocy even though we live in PA because of the great deal and customer service.

Good luck on your search. I hope you land on the Airstream that is perfect for you!
I concur completely with these comments. We bought our 2015 16' Sport from Haydocy earlier this year and were delighted with the sales process. We dealt with Bruce Miller and at his request have become facebook friends -- he is that kind of guy. The other salesmen and sales manager seemed great, too.

There are just two of us plus an occassional small dog and the layout works for us. I am a big guy and even figured how to shower in the wet bath without banging my head. We split between the bed and dinette as the bed is perfect for one but really tight for us who are used to a king-sized at home.

We have towed to Florida on a 10 day trip in the heat of the summer with a Honda Pilot and everything worked well. We did decide that for us 10 days would be about the max in a 16'. When I retire, we plan to move up to a 25' FC twin for the month-long trips. For the weekenders and short trips we will do until then, the 16' suits us well and fit our budget and tow vehicle.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
For two of us, purchased a 2016 22' FB Sport 6/23/15; after purchase & a brief overview we left the Buda, TX dealer for a 4K western vacation, along with two other summer trips totaling a bit over 11k. This last trip included a scheduled JC appointment for a brake pack & some repairs that were not to us major. We obviously like to put miles behind us, & this Sport suites our lifestyle. Not too big or heavy for our Nissan Xterra, handled beautifully even on some of PA's 11% grades, and performed above expectations when were almost sideswiped at 55 mph by a texting driver on a state highway.

My take after 3 short months of ownership: 1) no matter what we've tried the AC & fridge is not perform well in hot weather. A $15 fan and our YEDI for cold food made summer trips to CA, OR, NM,UT, AZ, TX, AR, LA, MS, tolerable. It was a dream to sleep without AC or a fan (quiet) in ME two wks ago, and we actually had food freeze in the fridge on one occasion. 2) Regardless of what AS says about the stove working fine without a hood, we'll cook outside or in the mw/conv oven only & heat water with an electric teapot. I don't want a scorched upper cabinet. 3) I am very grateful that JC added velcro to the backs of our dinette cushions which eliminated picking them off the floor every time we stopped. I also appreciated that they raised the lower blind brackets above the seat cushions so they'll not rub a hole in the faux leather (making the back cushion a few inches shorter would also solve this). 4) We added a cushion dot to the bathroom door to prevent damage when the closet is opened. 5) I personally could live without a skylight as eventual potential leakage concerns me. 6) I like the simple, clean interior design. We still need to get an acrylic panel recut and reinstalled to fit properly without shaking loose, otherwise all has held up well. I would like a bigger sink, solid surface countertops and table - upgrades to what's there, but for now we'll live and like what we have.
papegardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Small Trailer

Look at the Sovereign 21ft in the classified. it has twin axles, is 3,900lbs. the advantage over the Sport22 is the Sovereign has the same holding tanks as a 30ft airstream,it has a larger frig. and a nice couch that makes into a bed. the 21 also has 2 closet . We looked at both and the twin axle came out on top
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Republic , Missouri
Thanks for your advice. We're going to Bill Thomas on Tuesday.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Best of luck in St Loius.

If you are comparing the 16 and 22 units, consider where all of the items you want to store inside the camper can be stored, and what remaining items would need to be stored in your vehicle.

One of the reasons we went with the 22 was the bathroom storage, and bigger counter in the kitchen for food storage.

We have brought our golden retriever with us camping. He is a kennel sleeper at home. In the 22 we can have him by the door, and use a baby gate to make him a little space. And still open both the bathroom door and closet with him there. We know that during hot or rainy weather all three of us will need to be inside. I didn't want him underfoot if I was using the kitchen. This has worked well for us.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
You should also consider the 19FC. It tows very much like the 16 but has 2 significant advantages: (1) separate holding tanks and (2) a really big shower. I almost bought a 16 (actually had a deposit on one) and thanks to a dealer screw-up, I walked away. Then I explored other options and somehow discovered the 19 and it really was 'perfect' as a weekender which is what I usually use it for. Most of my trips are in the 4-6 day range. Yes, it's more money but once you look around, you'll note the subtle differences that add up to, in my opinion,, more than the extra $10K they want for a 19FC.

BTW: My current single-trip record stands at 12 days, 5 states, 4,500 miles (2 guys traveling to matches) and we're still very good friends so there's plenty of room to live, work, sleep and eat (you pick the order).

The key element to all this is to take your time and try and make the best decision for you. If you like it, then it's for you. Do not buy more (or less) than you really need and can live with.

Best of luck,
G.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Does your Pathfinder have the trailer tow package? This includes the receiver and 7 pin connector. Is it FWD or AWD? You'll need to install a brake controller. Check the load sticker on the driver's door for available load including occupants weight. The 22 has about a 450lb hitch weight. You'll need a weight distribution hitch.

The 16 Sport has a wet bath and only one waste holding tank and the bed is smaller. You can't beat the rear bath of the 22.

The 19 has a small 48" corner bed and no counter space. You'll have to use the adjacent dinette table but the 2016 models now have ducted weight. The tongue weight is probably over 600lbs. Similar size holding tanks to the 22.

I live in Nixa if you want to contact me for advise.

Kelvin