Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
2016 Ford Explorer/22FB Sport Combo

I know there is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding tow vehicles and what appears to be the necessity that the tow vehicle "must be a truck".

I've owned my combo as stated above for nearly 6 months now and have pulled the trailer close to 3000 miles with my Explorer equipped with the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 290 hp engine, 4wd, and tow package.

I live in western Montana and "all my towing" has been in the mountains. I've crossed the "continental divide" four different times, plus several "passes" in both Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. The Explorer has handled the trailer with "flying colors". Average mileage 13.5 to 14.5.

The vehicle is equipped with the tow package, electronic anti sway control, and the electronic brake control. The trailer has the required "equalizer hitch and mechanical anti sway device.

The ride is very stable, large trucks on the interstate don't upset the ride nor do head/or cross winds with 20 mph gust.

My only point in starting this thread is to say to others who are considering AS trailers in the 5000# range that this SUV is a good option. A daily driver, kid hauler and tow vehicle combined.

The vehicle generally speaking has two adults and two young children on board along with an assortment of camping accessories and a generator.

I've weighed the combination at a local CAT Scale on more than one occasion. My weights have always been close "but under" all weight ratings.

It's a good choice. Hope this is helpful info.

Pat

Old 08-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Hermitage , Tennessee
I have a 2017 22FB and a 2015 Explorer Sport with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I am very pleased with the performance and how well the camper pulls.

2017 Sport 22FB
2015 Ford Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost
mlonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Thanks for the information. Do you have any pictures of your rigs? I'd like to see them. Do Explorers have a transmission temperature gauge?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Thanks for the information. Do you have any pictures of your rigs? I'd like to see them. Do Explorers have a transmission temperature gauge?
There's not a separate "tranny temp gauge" but there is a "display option" to show the temp gauge.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Very nice looking combo. As long as you know what the temp is, what is the temp when pulling a hill?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Very nice looking combo. As long as you know what the temp is, what is the temp when pulling a hill?
As you may recall from original post all my towing to date has been in western rockies. During my latest trip the outdoor temps were in the mid 90's. The temperature gate "stayed" at the same level when not towing. This being just below the midpoint on the scale.

My vehicle has the option of getting an "evaluation" or "vehicle heath report" whenever I desire. The report gives the states on oil life and other fluids, brakes, etc. I've run this report a number of times while towing and noting changes. It's as if towing the trailer is a "non-issue" as far as the car is concerned. Needless to say I'm really pleased with the set up.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Sounds good thanks for the feedback