Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
2016 flying cloud 19 rear window

Can anyone confirm if the rear bedroom window on a 2016 flying cloud 19 bunk can be opened for ventilation? Or is it only an emergency exit?

Thanks,

Jason
Roguegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
It doesn't appear that it can be opened for other than as an emergency exit... i.e., removing the screen and pushing on it. There are no levers. I've only been out in it for one weekend. I gave a quick look to see but I didn't see a practical way to open it and keep it open.

have you had any success with it since your original post?
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
I am still waiting to get the trailer, but I plan to try and figure something out.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Our 23' has the same corner bed and rear window. During the day it is easy enough to unlatch it from the inside and then prop it open with a stick or something from the outside.

Still experimenting with a good way to able to adjust it from inside for ventilation while sleeping. I cut a slit in the screen, reinforced it by gluing small pieces of inner tube on both sides, and fabricated a bar that can be used to prop it open or not. Would like to have more ability to adjust it instead of just open or closed.

Love to hear if someone has come up with a good system.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had that window in our 20, just went out and propped it open. Easy enough.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I would love to open the emergency window also. I thought a stick shaped like a Y would hold it open better. Possibly using a sling shot. Are there any tools out there shaped like a Y. But how do we screen the window?? Keep the ideas coming. Thanks
Nancie
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I bought bicycle foam handle grips and cut a slit on the end. With the window opened I place the foam with slit in the bracket attached to the glass and the other end resting on the window frame.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We haven't tried to open ours out of concern that the emergency pop-out screen might be difficult to put back if it got loose. But if the 2016 model is like the 2015, there is a small back side window that opens out, plus a back roof hatch, so we haven't found ventilation in the bed area to be a problem.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
The bunk model doesn't have a side window that opens. This is why I am interested in options to open the rear window.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If the window is like the one in our 2005 19' Bambi, it is NOT captive at the top hinge. It is designed as an emergency escape hatch; and when it is opened fully, it can detach, fall off on the ground and break.

If you do not already have two FantasticFans (or other brand of powered roof vents), adding these will greatly improve ventilation. Both of our fans are reversible, so you can adjust the flow pattern (one IN and one OUT, both IN, or both OUT) to maximize airflow.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I looked at our friends' 20FC and was disturbed to see that the rear window, (the Emerg. Exit) is not only very small, but it requires one to crawl up/onto a sharp-edged counter top,... then try to get over the triple-faucet installation to exit the coach.
Of course, that would also require one to pass close-by the oven/range and furnace...where likely fires might occur.
The door is much closer and certainly easier to use to escape the coach.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I looked at our friends' 20FC and was disturbed to see that the rear window, (the Emerg. Exit) is not only very small, but it requires one to crawl up/onto a sharp-edged counter top,... then try to get over the triple-faucet installation to exit the coach.
Of course, that would also require one to pass close-by the oven/range and furnace...where likely fires might occur.
The door is much closer and certainly easier to use to escape the coach.
The emergency exit window also is used if the main door is blocked or otherwise inaccessible, not just by fire. If, for example, the awning collapses because it was left open in the rain, and filled with water.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want to open the rear window, and use it as a regular window, you can order the screen assembly, a lift arm for the off-wall-side, and a lift support bracket. That way, a gust of wind shouldn't dislodge the piece of wood, and it looks less Rube Goldberg-esque.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you want to open the rear window, and use it as a regular window, you can order the screen assembly, a lift arm for the off-wall-side, and a lift support bracket. That way, a gust of wind shouldn't dislodge the piece of wood, and it looks less Rube Goldberg-esque.
Has anyone done this? How difficult was the swap?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Where is the best place to order parts from? I would like to try getting the window levers, different screen and stuff to try out this conversion.

I emailed the local Airstream dealer and they said that the window can't be operated with only one arm. I wouldn't mind giving it a try though. Even if I can only really open it to the first position, that would be ok.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #16
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Can you please provide a link where these items can be purchased?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
We open it and use the wheel chocks to keep it open. Insert the narrow corner in the gutter of the window frame and let the window lie over the flat end. Never had a problem of the wind taking it appart...
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguegaston View Post
Where is the best place to order parts from? I would like to try getting the window levers, different screen and stuff to try out this conversion.

I emailed the local Airstream dealer and they said that the window can't be operated with only one arm. I wouldn't mind giving it a try though. Even if I can only really open it to the first position, that would be ok.

Thanks!

Jason

I agree with you Jason, that's exactly what I intend to do with our back window. On the 20 footer, the bathroom wall is built over the right side of the window frame so I'm going to buy the parts and have someone router the left side of the frame and hopefully it will at least allow us to open and close the window similar to the rest of the windows in the trailer.
Good luck with your window
Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Question Parts for modifying the rear escape hatch to open from the inside for ventilation

I am also interested in doing this rear window upgrade and would like to order the lifting arm and parts to do this modification on my 2007 AS Bambi 19'. It appears that part of the window frame is buried under the bathroom exterior wall next to the corner bed. I wonder if there are screws under the paneling on the window frame? If anyone finds out where to order the parts and installation instructions, please post them. We need someone to post with experience in doing this modification.
Thanks,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote