Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
2016 22FB Sport Bambi Door Closing Problems

Has any one else had problems with the hard time of being able to close or open their doors because of improper adjustment/installed at the factory. When I saw our demo person slam the door shut before we left when picking up our trailer , I thought wow they really do make them air tight ..stupid me. When back home after studying the trailer door more closely & with my wife not being able to properly close or open the door with out using hurricane wind strength its back to the dealer. My visual inspection tells me they did not adjust or put the door on properly at the factory. My salesman said over the phone all airstreams doors slam shut that way ... no they do not , in fact Airstream online says if you have to slam instead of a firm push somethings wrong. Opinions are welcome.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Bad salesman!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
They can be adjusted. There is a u tube showing how. We looked at three different 16 sports at two different dealers to find one where the door was installed and adjusted properly. Your dealer should do this for you...if they know how.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i got told the same thing. after the hinges became loose, another dealer did a proper adjustment and it no longer needs to wake up the whole campground when closing.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Thanks People, I found the video & a comment from a Airstream service tech. who has worked at a Authorized Airstream Service Center in Ohio for over 30 years who also said if you need to slam the door to close it , its not properly adjusted or Airstream let a new trailer go out the door with more serious problems. Well I will find out in about 12hrs when I take it back to the dealer. They have only been selling Airstreams for about a year & a half. ..... I need an opinion on one more thing regarding the door issue. If it turns out to be they can't fix it & it needs to be sent back to the Airstream Plant to correct the problem, would it be un reasonable for me to insist it is transported on a flat bed truck instead of pulled. I really do not want the xtra miles(wear/tear) on the axles/tires not to mention possible visual damage from stones etc. Going to Ohio & back from Albany NY is a trek.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. The door on my 27FB wasn't aligned properly (I was even locked IN once! Not fun.

My dealer (also new to AS at the time) didn't think it was a problem. I made a "pilgrimage" to the mothership and am glad I did. We had some custom work done and a small punchlist of warranty items to address - the door being one of them. They had to completely remove the door, make some adjustments to the door and striker and it has performed flawlessly ever since.

I know what you mean about the drive. I'm going back in April for some more custom work and from New England - I'm planning 2 days out and 2 days back.

Everyone's mileage varies - for me, I can't wait to go back. I loved staying at the terraport, touring the factory, meeting the techs who worked on my trailer like it was their own - it was a blast. Your trailer is made for trips like that so I wouldn't worry much about the miles on the axles and such.

Whatever you choose - get it fixed. You don't want to get locked in or out. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Hi .... I would like to go to the Airstream Plant to take a tour to see just how my trailer is really built. I am retired so I do not have any time restraints. The only issue I have is towing it there during the winter months dealing with the road conditions.. If my dealer can not or will not address my issues maybe I will just wait til April or May & take it to the Airstream Plant myself. Any advice on dealing with Airstream direct if I end up in this situation with my dealer .... Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sure! That's the time to do it. You want to contact Chris Burch in service there Here's his email: cburch@airstream.com - you can start a discussion with him there and set up an appointment.

I'll be there mid-April myself. If you're going, I'll see you at the terraport 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Will do & thanks people for all the great advice.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I don't know but it sure seems that for the porche of trailers they seem to have to do a lot of warranty work !!! It seems that new rigs are always being written up for problems ? Has anyone ever gone a couple of years without a warranty problem?
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I eventually made it to Jackson Center and got my door adjusted. No further issues with the door. Maybe you can get to a dealer quicker/easier? Colonial?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I decided to adjust my door myself. Wasn't difficult and it now works like a charm.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

2016 22' Sport
Olathe , Kansas
My Bambi's entry door has both top corners "shaved " down and the service rep at the dealer says they are all like that. Do you all agree?
JerrynConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Has any one else had problems with the hard time of being able to close or open their doors because of improper adjustment/installed at the factory. When I saw our demo person slam the door shut before we left when picking up our trailer , I thought wow they really do make them air tight ..stupid me. When back home after studying the trailer door more closely & with my wife not being able to properly close or open the door with out using hurricane wind strength its back to the dealer. My visual inspection tells me they did not adjust or put the door on properly at the factory. My salesman said over the phone all airstreams doors slam shut that way ... no they do not , in fact Airstream online says if you have to slam instead of a firm push somethings wrong. Opinions are welcome.
I have the same problem with my 2016 sport 16!! And the screen had to be slammed really hard too to connect. I am unsure if my dealer can fix it though. I have little faith in them from other issues. Not sure what to do?
Grapesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Door Closing Problems

I'll add to this discussion our recent experience with our (almost) new 14 Classic. While leveling at one of our first stops I left the door open while adjusting the tongue jack to be able to hear my wife say "Level."

When I finished, the door wouldn't close. Note to self: NEVER MOVE THE AS WITH THE DOOR OPEN!

(By retuning the jack to the original position, we were able to get the door to close.)
Gigi1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Seems to be common problem, had mine adjusted at Jackson Center. Works fine now.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, we have a 23D Flying Cloud we bought in September and have problems with the door. AS called just to see how we are enjoying our AS and we mentioned the door. They said to take it back to the dealer. That we should not have to slam hard to close the door. O, well!
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtexas View Post
Yes, we have a 23D Flying Cloud we bought in September and have problems with the door. AS called just to see how we are enjoying our AS and we mentioned the door. They said to take it back to the dealer. That we should not have to slam hard to close the door. O, well!
Indeed! My question to them would be, "why did it leave the factory with such an obvious problem!"
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Well I made it to the dealer this morning, I pointed out what I thought was the problem ..... the hinges on the door, the dealers Airstream tech said he had about 8yrs dealing with airstream issues & assured me he could & would fix the problem. I then when back in the show room & one of the suits from the sales department(not my salesman) came out/reassured me that he would personally see that his Airstream tech would get on it & get me taken care of but that was after he heard me say to the warranty person who was assigned to my service case that I was seriously thinking of upgrading to a 26' FlyingCloud next spring if my overall experience with this first Airstream purchase here stays on the positive side.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I eventually made it to Jackson Center and got my door adjusted. No further issues with the door. Maybe you can get to a dealer quicker/easier? Colonial?
We originally were going to take the almost 4hr drive from our home to Colonial but found a dealer that sold Airstream less than a 30min drive away. Newly opened last year & thought it would be a good choice in case I would have to bring it back.