Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The op didn't say he was boondocking. My solution works.
Sorry, but I guess you didn't see the part about not wanting to stay in parks with hookups, ipso facto your solution won't work.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Get one of these, plug it into your tow vehicle's power outlet and sit in the outdoors and enjoy your electronic devices.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20power%20cord
IMHO it would be risky to run devices from the tow vehicle battery. If it goes flat you won't be able to leave your boon dock site without a jump start. It would be much less risky to have the AS battery go flat.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
By the way the 2017 motorized "fiberglass box" we just bought has 12 volt outlets.. It was built by Thor. I guess they're just going cheapo on Airstreams.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Can the Sport single lead acid battery support the factory 12 vdc systems, plus a bunch of 12 vdc devices while boondocking more than overnight? I don't think so, the engineers have it right.

If you like to boondock you most probably need a generator or solar system and built-in inverter, in which case there is little need for 12 vdc outlets.
In fine weather the standard group 24 battery with 85 amp hours will last several days with low draw LED lights and no need for the Fantastic fan or furnace. Careful management of other 12v devices can help make a boon docking experience more enjoyable.

Everyone has a generator/alternator that they never think to use! You don't need a stand-alone generator or solar to keep the house battery charged - just hook up the seven-pin connector to the TV while it is running and the AS battery will charge. Of course you will use fuel, but still a lot cheaper for occasional need vs. the noise and cost of a generator or the cost of solar. I have often run the engine on my sailboat for an hour or so to charge house batteries.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
While I haven't found my Airstream of my Dreams yet, for my Class A I purchased one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/p/165/goal-z...olar-generator . I also have solar panels to keep it charged up. It is a bit pricey, but you can get it cheaper at Amazon (of course). This is what I consider my #1 purchase for my RV that I have never regretted.

Charges my laptop, my phones, my friends phones, the Sirius system, my Bose speaker and I still have power after 3 days (without setting up the solar panels). When I do set up the solar, I have never run out.

Oh... It also has surge protectors so I don't fry my electronics like you can EASILY do with the RV power system :-)
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Quote:
I want to apologize in advance, however I find this indicative of the times.

You like to camp and enjoy the outdoors, however you're upset that you can't stay in the trailer using your 12 volt devices???

Get one of these, plug it into your tow vehicle's power outlet and sit in the outdoors and enjoy your electronic devices.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20power%20cord

Ken

P.S. You definitely need some sort of generator or solar system.
There's this thing called rain that can sometimes prevent a person from brewing their tea outside. Up until this thread got personal and judgmental about folks' individual style of camping, I found it interesting. I too am looking for ways to use the batteries for power without involving the inverter. We switched our 2 Group 24 batteries to 2 6-volt batteries on our 2016 19' FC (her name is Sylva) and added 200 watts of portable solar. But I would still like to use my CPAP without the added power overhead of the inverter as we boondock everywhere we go. The Winegard power plate looks like a great solution that I can do myself.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Sorry, but I guess you didn't see the part about not wanting to stay in parks with hookups, ipso facto your solution won't work.
Evidently missed that, I apologize to the op.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
My point is camping is about being outside.
. . .
For you . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
12 volt plugs seem to be going the way of the dinosaur in vehicles replaced by the USB plug. Our 2015 Bambi 16 has two USB's near the radio and several in the bed area. New cars seem to be loaded with USB plugs in lieu of the "old fashioned" cigarette lighter plug. No problem for us as our 12 volt devices, including a table fan, have USB plugs included, plus we added a plug adapter which retains two 110 V plugs but adds 2 additional USB's.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I agree withe OP, 12-v outlets can be handy in the trailer. And if you are not plugged into AC, its much more efficient to use 12-volt directly from a 12-volt circuit run off your batteries than to use a converter plugged into an AC outlet which would require use of your inverter to create AC from you battery which you would then convert back to 12-volts! Also, if not plugged into AC, its also more efficient to use 12-volt devices than AC devices run off your inverter.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Denver , Colorado
Quote:

If you like to boondock you most probably need a generator or solar system and built-in inverter, in which case there is little need for 12 vdc outlets.
That's the solution I came to.
SkyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I'll bet your Battery "on/off" switch is firmly mounted in a wood panel...?? How 'bout installing a 12V outlet (or two/three) immediately adjacent in that same, sturdy panel and connect (with an inline fuse) to the back of that Batt Switch?

Seems simple enough that a boondocking-CaveMan could do it.

(I recommend using marine-grade outlets.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Can the Sport single lead acid battery support the factory 12 vdc systems, plus a bunch of 12 vdc devices while boondocking more than overnight? I don't think so, the engineers have it right.

I have a 200W solar charger and my Bambi came with 2 6V AGM batteries.
MarioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
:-( I didn't mean to cause such a controversy, I was just pointing out my only gripe.. (tail between legs)
MarioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Mario don't tuck tail or fret you did nothing wrong.

It's just a very passionate group about all things including their/your beloved Airstreams.

Its interesting how the most benign threads can sometimes spin out of control. But now you've had lots of potential solutions presented.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I concur with Hittenstiehl, and I have lots of 12-volt boating devices I could use, so Mario your gripe is just fine. The folks at Airstream read or hear about complaints here, so maybe yours is one that will make it back into the product line-up, if only as an option.

Now that many trailers have solar and improved batteries, using 12 volts directly -- straight from the volts' mouth -- is obviously a no-brainer, without having to use an inverter.

Even televisions and stereo systems can be had in 12-volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioM View Post
:-( I didn't mean to cause such a controversy, I was just pointing out my only gripe.. (tail between legs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Mario don't tuck tail or fret you did nothing wrong.

It's just a very passionate group about all things including their/your beloved Airstreams.

Its interesting how the most benign threads can sometimes spin out of control. But now you've had lots of potential solutions presented.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote