Old 07-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Can the Sport single lead acid battery support the factory 12 vdc systems, plus a bunch of 12 vdc devices while boondocking more than overnight? I don't think so, the engineers have it right.

If you like to boondock you most probably need a generator or solar system and built-in inverter, in which case there is little need for 12 vdc outlets.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioM View Post
Love love my AS, but I have one (Major) gripe.... I don't want to come across as bitter, or that I don't like my AS I do.. It was just found out on my maiden voyage and well.. LOL

I don't know what AS was thinking by no longer putting in the 12v cigarette lighter plugs in, but they have totally omitted any way from the inside of the camper from possibly connecting anything 12v without paying the dealer to install something aftermarket. I don't know who the engineer was that came up with this bright idea but it was stupid. I like to camp and enjoy the outdoors, so I have 12v devices. I don't want to spend my time in an park for hookups. If it was a cost saving decision they should rethink it. Friends that have a new $12,000 fiberglass box have them..
I want to apologize in advance, however I find this indicative of the times.

You like to camp and enjoy the outdoors, however you're upset that you can't stay in the trailer using your 12 volt devices???

Get one of these, plug it into your tow vehicle's power outlet and sit in the outdoors and enjoy your electronic devices.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20power%20cord

Ken

P.S. You definitely need some sort of generator or solar system.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
. . .

???

Plenty of 12-volt appliances from the boating world would work great inside the AS, like a tea kettle to boil water, a little mini-oven to heat things up, immersion heaters for a cup of tea, and so forth.

Perhaps the OP already has such devices, and simply wants some continuity . . . ?

Then there is the tone . . .

Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

???

Plenty of 12-volt appliances from the boating world would work great inside the AS, like a tea kettle to boil water, a little mini-oven to heat things up, immersion heaters for a cup of tea, and so forth.

Perhaps the OP already has such devices, and simply wants some continuity . . . ?

Then there is the tone . . .

All right, I apologize to you also.

My point is camping is about being outside. Any vehicle I've been around lately has a 12 volt power outlet. Your cup of tea could be brewed outside with the type of cord I posted the link to. Another plus. If car battery starts to get low. Drive it around a bit and charge it back up.

Are you a certified tone interpreter?

Ken
Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have noticed in newer rigs that there is no 12v plug...kinda strange, IMHO. Fortunately our rig is old enough (2006) to still have them...there are two...one in the forward overhead cabinet by the DVD payer and one in the bed area. We use them both and would really miss having them. The other side of thet coin is that our rig is JUST old enough to not have USB ports...so we use a 12v in the round hole 12v plug to get USB ports for charging, etc. But Hey! We Hey ... DO have a telephone jack! (I think that was eliminated the year after ours.) I guess it is the price of "progress"...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I used a lot of 12v items with my T@B. First I added second battery, then just got a really long 12v cord with three holes in it, plugged into TV, used in T@B. I got it at a truck stop type shop. You migbt want to consider that as i expensive fix.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The op didn't say he was boondocking. My solution works.
Sorry, but I guess you didn't see the part about not wanting to stay in parks with hookups, ipso facto your solution won't work.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Get one of these, plug it into your tow vehicle's power outlet and sit in the outdoors and enjoy your electronic devices.

IMHO it would be risky to run devices from the tow vehicle battery. If it goes flat you won't be able to leave your boon dock site without a jump start. It would be much less risky to have the AS battery go flat.
WBCCI #6497

Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #23

By the way the 2017 motorized "fiberglass box" we just bought has 12 volt outlets.. It was built by Thor. I guess they're just going cheapo on Airstreams.
Ken
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Can the Sport single lead acid battery support the factory 12 vdc systems, plus a bunch of 12 vdc devices while boondocking more than overnight? I don't think so, the engineers have it right.

If you like to boondock you most probably need a generator or solar system and built-in inverter, in which case there is little need for 12 vdc outlets.
In fine weather the standard group 24 battery with 85 amp hours will last several days with low draw LED lights and no need for the Fantastic fan or furnace. Careful management of other 12v devices can help make a boon docking experience more enjoyable.

Everyone has a generator/alternator that they never think to use! You don't need a stand-alone generator or solar to keep the house battery charged - just hook up the seven-pin connector to the TV while it is running and the AS battery will charge. Of course you will use fuel, but still a lot cheaper for occasional need vs. the noise and cost of a generator or the cost of solar. I have often run the engine on my sailboat for an hour or so to charge house batteries.
WBCCI #6497

Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
While I haven't found my Airstream of my Dreams yet, for my Class A I purchased one of these: http://www.goalzero.com/p/165/goal-z...olar-generator . I also have solar panels to keep it charged up. It is a bit pricey, but you can get it cheaper at Amazon (of course). This is what I consider my #1 purchase for my RV that I have never regretted.

Charges my laptop, my phones, my friends phones, the Sirius system, my Bose speaker and I still have power after 3 days (without setting up the solar panels). When I do set up the solar, I have never run out.

Oh... It also has surge protectors so I don't fry my electronics like you can EASILY do with the RV power system :-)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Quote:

You like to camp and enjoy the outdoors, however you're upset that you can't stay in the trailer using your 12 volt devices???

Ken

P.S. You definitely need some sort of generator or solar system.
There's this thing called rain that can sometimes prevent a person from brewing their tea outside. Up until this thread got personal and judgmental about folks' individual style of camping, I found it interesting. I too am looking for ways to use the batteries for power without involving the inverter. We switched our 2 Group 24 batteries to 2 6-volt batteries on our 2016 19' FC (her name is Sylva) and added 200 watts of portable solar. But I would still like to use my CPAP without the added power overhead of the inverter as we boondock everywhere we go. The Winegard power plate looks like a great solution that I can do myself.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Sorry, but I guess you didn't see the part about not wanting to stay in parks with hookups, ipso facto your solution won't work.
Evidently missed that, I apologize to the op.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
My point is camping is about being outside.
. . .
For you . . .