Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
You'll find examples of the same on this forum. And far worse with other brands on occasion. Stay on top with regular inspections and the problems become few to none and then one day are related to age. A long way off. This forum is a good place to read and reD some more. Some problems, for example, can have solutions which are a distinct improvement.

from the AIRphone

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi
2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
We bought a 2014 16' Bambi last February or March and have run it on some short weekend trips and a multi week pull in the mountains. Right off the bat I'll tell you the quality is not there for what you are paying. You will really scratch your head and pick your battles. Our dealership is not impressing the heck out of me either. Charging for stuff they are not doing, not getting around to doing it until I push etc. Items troubling us are most often small, but there is no excuse for the factory missing them. Things like a screen door which does not fit right. The dealership just sends out a burly guy with a 2x4 to try to bend it when it is obvious the latch post is too long for the design to work right. Sensor on the black/grey tank never worked, but they will cut a hole through the bottom rather than remove the panel to fix it, so we do without. Ours was the only one out of 4 they had at the time with a floor that didn't have ripples in the sheet vinyl. Somebody down there also thinks the torque on the wheel lugs is several hundred pounds instead of the 80 it is. They have had to replace lugs they TWISTED!

That said, we are keeping it. I will do most of the work because they can't be trusted to do it right. After we move I'll find another dealership who maybe gives a darn. We love the unit, the running gear works well, it tows well, we have 2 vehicles we can tow it with. Despite all the quirks the floor plan works very well for us (even though I can't sleep in the rear bed and use the table because the rear makes me claustrophobic). At least with the option I an really spread out and not wake the Princessa when I get up at night. Cooking facilities are cramped, but seem to work very well for us. We don't prepare 5 star meals, we want to be out enjoying the day. It has enough storage for us for extended trips. We could spend the whole summer out in it if we wanted. We are used to tent camping so we can pack better than some, but there really is a lot of space in one when you weed out the stuff you really don't need.

In short we love the unit, dislike the quality on some relatively minor things, don't care for the way the dealership works.

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Thanks for all the replies. Like cars and motorcycles, sounds like a basic foundation for a good experience with a new Airstream is a dealership and service department that has the motivation, the training, and the experience to do the job right and with attention to detail. Sadly that sounds rare in the RV business. Of course getting things correct before a unit leaves the factory always helps too. I guess we will do like everyone else. Pay our money and hope for the best.

D Greene is offline   Reply With Quote