Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

I just reread and now understand you did move the base, what did you do about the factory holes after moving it. How big of holes does it leave? Is there anything under the floor that is a danger of drilling into?
TandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Ok, now I'm thinking we better reconsider the shades.
I think the shades m.hony is talking about are different than the Oceanair ones you mentioned earlier. You're talking about the spring-loaded ones that roll up into a tube like you probably had on some of the windows in your Ocean Breeze once upon a time, right? People complain about those when they age, too, and they ain't cheap! Still, I think it's a better solution than mini-blinds in a trailer with curved walls.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandT View Post
I just reread and now understand you did move the base, what did you do about the factory holes after moving it. How big of holes does it leave? Is there anything under the floor that is a danger of drilling into?
The factory holes that remain exposed are approximately the size of a 11/64 drill bit. I filled the holes with Liquid Nails and then touched them up with a black felt tip marker. The laminate flooring has black in it so it just blended in with the flooring (see attached photo of the laminate flooring). Next time we bring the Airstream home from storage I'll take a couple photos of the "after holes" with liquid nails and felt tip marker cover up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements 4.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	242804  
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Just be aware that the rear of the shelf gets slightly warm from the fridge. Enough to make a loaf of bread sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Thank you for telling me about this warming situation. I'll have to check that out next time we're camping and come up with a solution to allow ventilation.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Did you butt up the base to the curb side dinette is my question
TandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Correct, the circular base (upon which the table leg sits on) is butted up to and touching the dinette.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Bradenton , Florida
2014 22ft Sport FB-changes

We also have made some changes to our 2014 22' FB SPORT.

1. Starting at the hitch, a new 4500# Husky electric jack.

2. My wife also strongly disliked the sink so we replaced it with a new 18" round sink w/a new faucet. I also moved the storage bulkhead back and gained a couple cubic ft of storage under the sink.

3. While trying to watch TV in bed with the AC on(we live in Florida), we couldn't see the TV because of the plastic bulkhead and privacy curtain or hear because of the AC (loud). Both were removed and a second TV w/sound bar was added over the bed. With the curtain and bulkhead gone, the trailer seems much roomier. The galley bulkhead was replaced with a stronger version to mount the TV.

4. Lastly we added a new porch light.

5. Would anyone like to by a sink?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4500# HUSKY  JACK.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	243526   Click image for larger version

Name:	SINK AND FAUCET.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	243527  

Name:	MORE STORAGE RIGHT.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	243528   Click image for larger version

Name:	MORE STORAGE LEFT.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	243529  

Name:	NEW GALLEY BULKHEAD.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	243530   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW TV SOUND BAR TRAVEL MODE.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	243531  

Name:	NEW TV SOUND BAR-VIEWING.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	243532   Click image for larger version

Name:	POWER-COAX CONNECTION.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	243533  

Name:	BULKHEAD & CURTAIN GONE.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	243534   Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW PORCH LIGHT.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	243536  

mrmercury49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmercury49 View Post
We also have made some changes to our 2014 22' FB SPORT.
You are actually the inspiration to me to jump in and start making some changes. Now if I could only get brave enough to attempt the sink modification.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
We have a 2016 22' FB Sport purchased 6/22/15. ghamr, thx for the piano hinge idea for the storage area under the bed, we'll do that soon! Frank&Mike I'll be watching your progress, the sink isn't my favorite. Since the lower blind clips are at the same level as the dinette's back cushions I am concerned that we'll eventually find a hole in the leather. The accordian 'shower curtain' is also not a favorite. We added small self-stick plastic bumpers to the bathroom mirror, door, and closet door handles to prevent damage to the finishes. We're calling Jackson Center tomorrow to schedule an appointment in the next couple of weeks, we want to tour the plant but after travelling 9K miles during the past month it'll also be due for a brake packing; a few interior rivets have popped off, the entry door needs an adjustment, and a few screws are missing in the divider panel by the sink. And another thing learned when I dropped a quart of milk: the lower cabinets and shower are not caulked (we parked on a slope to clean). Can any of you provide any advice or info regarding the service JC appointment and the trip we'll be making from TX to OH?
papegardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Darned.... after looking at the bedframe installing a piano hinge top door would require building a framed opening, and lifting the mattress for access will quickly cause blind damage on both ends. Guess we'll continue to use the underbed storage for little used items and consider accessing them a 'floor exercise'.
papegardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Forced Into Doing the Bed Lift Tonight

Brought the Airstream from storage to the house this evening to pack for this weekend's trip. The outside storage lock decided to freeze up. So ... no choice but to enter from the underneath side of the bed to access all the electric cables, etc. This wasn't the most opportune time to start the "bed lift" mod but if I'm going to move the mattress and unscrew the base of the bed, why not go all the way? Turns out that the bed frame is already in two pieces which makes the project much simpler than I anticipated. NOTE however that it was necessary to cut 1/2 inch off each side of the bed frame to enable the frame to lift and lower without scraping the interior walls. I was able to complete the project in a little over 3 hours (including a 1/2 hour round trip to H Depot to purchase a continuous 72 inch hinge). So if you're considering this mod it's actually pretty simple. The only thing remaining is to purchase a couple hydraulic lifts which will make lifting the mattress easier and will enable the mattress to stay in the upright position when accessing the "under bed" storage. So a few photos of the project ... from start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed Before 1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	243752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed In Process 1.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	243753  

Name:	Bed After 2.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	243755   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 Inch Hinge.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	243756  

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Table Base Location

Quote:
I took a photo of the table base this evening to show where the table base butts up to the curbside dinette. Hope this helps give a better representation of its new position.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table Base.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	243762  
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Couple More Photos of a more Spacious Center Area

Thought I would share a couple more photos I took this evening showing how much additional space the living area has as a result of repositioning the table base. Therefore allowing a nice little lounge area as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed After 3.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	243763   Click image for larger version

Name:	More Space 1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	243764  

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by papegardens View Post
Darned.... after looking at the bedframe installing a piano hinge top door would require building a framed opening, and lifting the mattress for access will quickly cause blind damage on both ends. Guess we'll continue to use the underbed storage for little used items and consider accessing them a 'floor exercise'.

Actually no, all that you anticipated (I was anticipating the same) is not necessary. The only thing you have to do is cut approximately 1/2 inch off of each side of the straight edges (only up to the point where the 2 separate bed segments join). It's very simple. Go for it.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
Just replaced the cute sink with one that works in our 2016 22FB. Used an IKEA rectangular one with integral drainboard.

I can't see attached thumbnails in this or other posts. Any idea why?
Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Bed Lift Modification is Completed

As of today, the modification to the front bed (to install 2 gas struts allowing the bed to raise for easy access to the "under bed storage") is completed. Now we can easily access the storage area without having to get on our knees and stick half of our body into the storage compartment to access things. I think this will turn out to be one of the best modifications we've made to our 22' Sport.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed 4.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	246437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed 3.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	246438  

Old 08-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Modification looks great. I love the idea of being able to easily inspect the tank & fittings there, too.

Admittedly, only just recently purchased, I'm nervous to modify, but that bed lift looks like a ridiculously easy mod with huge benefit.

Because we store our trailer at an RV lot (with no space at our place in the heart of the city), we'll probably coordinate a mod like that with when we winterize for the year. I'll let you know come Canadian thanksgiving if we bite the bullet.....
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsammy View Post
Modification looks great. I love the idea of being able to easily inspect the tank & fittings there, too.

Admittedly, only just recently purchased, I'm nervous to modify, but that bed lift looks like a ridiculously easy mod with huge benefit.

Because we store our trailer at an RV lot (with no space at our place in the heart of the city), we'll probably coordinate a mod like that with when we winterize for the year. I'll let you know come Canadian thanksgiving if we bite the bullet.....
Thank you for the positive feedback. I can understand your apprehension to modify and I share the same concerns. It turns out that the bed lift is an easy modification. Like you, we cannot store our Airstream at home because of HOA restrictions. So our modifications have taken place over the course of a couple days scattered here and there ... either in preparation for upcoming camp trips or after returning home from camp trips.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
Re Bed modification

You're welcome!
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamr View Post
You're welcome!
Thank you for your thread which provided the motivation to complete the bed modification.