Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Paper Towel Holder

Counter space is also prime real estate in the Airstream ... so I decided to mount a paper towel holder under the upper cabinet area and free up space on the coutertop.

Also a photo of our new ottoman ... well actually it's the dog's launch pad to get onto and off the bed ... so it's really their ottoman ... the previous one was looking pretty used up ... so time for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paper Towel Holder 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	257977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottoman.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	257978  

__________________

__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 22' FB Sport
Barrie , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 37
Finally got around to getting the struts from Princess Auto here in Canada. Installed them and they work like a charm. Makes it so much easier to get at stuff under the bed. Also did the table move mod after approval from the boss. Really helps the openness of the hall. Great thread. Lets keep it going.
__________________

__________________
Lhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunter59 View Post
Finally got around to getting the struts from Princess Auto here in Canada. Installed them and they work like a charm. Makes it so much easier to get at stuff under the bed. Also did the table move mod after approval from the boss. Really helps the openness of the hall. Great thread. Lets keep it going.
I'm glad to hear you are pleased with the modifications you're reading about and experiencing yourself. I have more ideas and modifications on the way ... but those may be about 1 month out. I enjoy hearing and seeing the other modifications made by owners of the 22' Sport.
__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member
 
2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 135
WRT the IKEA shades: you may want to buy a spare or two 'cause IKEA often changes products and then you can't get the old stuff anymore...
__________________
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 30
Kids bunk in our Bambi!

I love all the hacks and improvements in this thread! I've done or seriously considered many of these here, and really appreciate the sharing. In the spirit of 'giving back, I wanted to share our take on a kid-sized bunk in our 19' Bambi (I posted similarly in "what did you get for your trailer today" forum).

We have a family of 5+big dog that we do weekends and holiday trips, and packing 5 people into a 19' trailer can be challenging. Luckily for us, our youngest is 8 and still has some growing to do, so she doesn't require a 'full size' sleeping accommodation. Our solution (for the time being) was to add a temporary hanging bunk for her to sleep on (the older two sleep on the converted dinette, the adults in the bed below the bunk, and the dog on the floor).

This won't work for everyone given the space constraints, but for us it was the perfect solution to our space problems. The cot is 52" long (ECR4Kids kiddie cot from Amazon), the chains are attached to brackets riveted through the support members behind the ceiling skin (with long heavy duty rivets), and the sides are just hooks riveted (or screwed) to the aluminum interior skin (or in the case of the footboard the wood paneling).

I spent a lot of time researching and analyzing how to do this before I attacked it, and settled on this removable hack. It's not quite 'factory quality', but it allowed us to add an additional kid-sleeping space without removing the upper storage compartment, and it suits us pretty well for the time being! It supports my 100lb 11 year old just fine as you can see from the pictures below, and I've hung my 150lbs individually from each of the ring anchors riveted to ceiling with no signs of them pulling free. Hopefully this will be useful to others who are looking to make creative use of limited space!

This bunk bed mod, adding a lift kit to our axle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1748143), and adding 150Watts of solar have been life changing for us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	258012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	258013  

__________________
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #76
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I hung the Tuppler roller shades that we purchased at IKEA and we're really pleased with the quality and the "look" of the shades. The shades are advertised as block out shades and they definitely do block out the sun (the last photo demonstrates how dark the interior became when all of the shades were in their down position). I really wanted the OceanAir shades (quoted price was $600 + shipping and taxes). But the IKEA shades (total cost was $109 including taxes) were a much more affordable solution.

Hi, great modifications you made to your trailer. My Safari has mini-blinds on the kitchen window and I can't stand it. I think my next trip to Ikea will have a roll up shade on my shopping list. My nearest Ikea is about 50 miles from me so we don't go there very often.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 AM   #77
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I love all the hacks and improvements in this thread! I've done or seriously considered many of these here, and really appreciate the sharing. In the spirit of 'giving back, I wanted to share our take on a kid-sized bunk in our 19' Bambi (I posted similarly in "what did you get for your trailer today" forum).

We have a family of 5+big dog that we do weekends and holiday trips, and packing 5 people into a 19' trailer can be challenging. Luckily for us, our youngest is 8 and still has some growing to do, so she doesn't require a 'full size' sleeping accommodation. Our solution (for the time being) was to add a temporary hanging bunk for her to sleep on (the older two sleep on the converted dinette, the adults in the bed below the bunk, and the dog on the floor).

This won't work for everyone given the space constraints, but for us it was the perfect solution to our space problems. The cot is 52" long (ECR4Kids kiddie cot from Amazon), the chains are attached to brackets riveted through the support members behind the ceiling skin (with long heavy duty rivets), and the sides are just hooks riveted (or screwed) to the aluminum interior skin (or in the case of the footboard the wood paneling).

I spent a lot of time researching and analyzing how to do this before I attacked it, and settled on this removable hack. It's not quite 'factory quality', but it allowed us to add an additional kid-sleeping space without removing the upper storage compartment, and it suits us pretty well for the time being! It supports my 100lb 11 year old just fine as you can see from the pictures below, and I've hung my 150lbs individually from each of the ring anchors riveted to ceiling with no signs of them pulling free. Hopefully this will be useful to others who are looking to make creative use of limited space!

This bunk bed mod, adding a lift kit to our axle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1748143), and adding 150Watts of solar have been life changing for us!
Hi, fantastic bunk bed idea; Very creative, and to get five people and a dog into a 19'er.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #78
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,884
Question about the Ikea shades. I notice the length of the shades are 76". You didn't trim off the excess did you? Just pull them down to the desired location and not worry about the extra length? Did you have to cut any of the shades width down?

How do you secure the shades against the wall when pulled down?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #79
Rivet Master
 
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,773
Images: 59
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Question about the Ikea shades. I notice the length of the shades are 76". You didn't trim off the excess did you? Just pull them down to the desired location and not worry about the extra length? Did you have to cut any of the shades width down?

How do you secure the shades against the wall when pulled down?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
You took the words right out of my mouth. I know they are probably not very heavy - but when only needing about 24" in length 76 seems to be quite a lot.

When I saw their upgrade just after I have been pricing all sorts of things in my 22' 2005 CCD International, I thought great! because ha I just saw the price of the Oceanview blinds OMG!!!! Mine are original - thought of painting them to cover the many mosquito death marks - but the Ikea blinds - cut or not cut would do the trick nicely. I might even have my aluminum fabricator whip me up some valances for three of the blinds - as the other two sit under the curb side upper cabinets.

Looks like the tab/pull at the bottom could easily take a grommet snap (female end) - as that is how mine are attached - although I do like the little pull string connector on the new ones - whatever you use it is really easy to drill a little hole in the inside wall and attached with rivets.

So cool all your upgrades and innovative ideas Frank and Mike - I will keep watching to see of any other ideas you may have.....Thanks!!!
__________________
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Very Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
WRT the IKEA shades: you may want to buy a spare or two 'cause IKEA often changes products and then you can't get the old stuff anymore...
It may be good to have a spare or two.
__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I love all the hacks and improvements in this thread! I've done or seriously considered many of these here, and really appreciate the sharing. In the spirit of 'giving back, I wanted to share our take on a kid-sized bunk in our 19' Bambi (I posted similarly in "what did you get for your trailer today" forum).
Wow, that's a great idea for maximizing the space. Thanks for sharing the photos. Very inspiring idea!
__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #82
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Question about the Ikea shades. I notice the length of the shades are 76". You didn't trim off the excess did you? Just pull them down to the desired location and not worry about the extra length? Did you have to cut any of the shades width down?

How do you secure the shades against the wall when pulled down?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
Correct, the length is more than what is needed. But they roll up very neatly so I didn't alter the length ... in fact, I don't think you can alter the length. Now you can alter the width, even though I didn't have to alter the width on any of the shades. From the instructions provided, it seems very easy to alter the width.

I haven't decided on what path I want to pursue on securing the shades against the wall. I am leaning toward the following though:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...FQkwaQodKV8O8Q
__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #83
Rivet Master
 
Frank&Mike's Avatar

 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 675
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
I might even have my aluminum fabricator whip me up some valances for three of the blinds - as the other two sit under the curb side upper cabinets.

So cool all your upgrades and innovative ideas Frank and Mike - I will keep watching to see of any other ideas you may have.....Thanks!!!
I would really enjoy seeing what you come up with in the way of aluminum valances. I bet those would like very sharp! Thank you for the kind feedback.
__________________
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
bolerama's Avatar
 
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 737
Images: 30
Blog Entries: 6
The blinds look better than white ones look. The grey perfectly blends with the aluminum walls. I also have a little boler trailer that needs new window coverings. These blinds might be the solution. Wonderful thread! I always enjoy seeing what you and others are doing to improve Airstream living.
Lisa
__________________

__________________
[FONT=Century Gothic]Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Flying Cloud front lounge changes Endodoc 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 4 10-10-2014 06:11 AM
Effective changes that can be made, if any? Bex Tow Vehicles 4 08-11-2010 09:46 AM
Made changes to my control panel Lothlorian Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 7 07-05-2009 06:43 PM
I have made many electrical changes FrankR Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 10-03-2008 08:53 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.