Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Great changes! I can't wait to see the new roller shades.
Lisa
Thank you Lisa. I'm looking forward to this weekend project with the roller shades. When other plans keep us from camping ... it's a fun alternative to have Airstream projects.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Would you be willing to post the stock number or whatever, for the IKEA shades?

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Tuppler Roller Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Would you be willing to post the stock number or whatever, for the IKEA shades?
Yes, absolutely, very happy to share the information. Following is the direct link to the shades:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?qu...t+roller+blind

They come in white, gray and black. We chose the gray so the attached photos reflect the SKU for gray. The 22 foot Sport requires 5 shades if you replace each of the blinds. So the attached photos reflect the SKUs for the 5 sizes.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TUPPLER Shades 1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	257857   Click image for larger version

Name:	TUPPLER Shades 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	257858  

Old 02-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Love your updates in the bath. I will be stealing your TP holder move. What a difference in the storage under the sink with that one.

Regarding the OEM comforter. I took a pair of scissors to mine. Hacked off the fold-over pillow cover. I now use it as a mattress pad under the sheets. Works great.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
What terrific ideas! Seriously I hope the AS designers are reading your posts. The TP holder should absolutely be on the wall and not in the tiny cabinet. You need that for storage.
It's all about functional storage, and how to creatively maximize what you have.
Well done!
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA and GPO View Post
What terrific ideas! Seriously I hope the AS designers are reading your posts. The TP holder should absolutely be on the wall and not in the tiny cabinet. You need that for storage.
It's all about functional storage, and how to creatively maximize what you have.
Well done!
Thank you for the feedback.

The key on relocating the tissue holder is .... placement far enough back away from the door where you don't knock it with your leg going and in and out of the bathroom area ... but far enough forward of the toilet so that you can get a screw driver in there to mount it.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
The Roller Shades are Installed - Yeah!!!

I hung the Tuppler roller shades that we purchased at IKEA and we're really pleased with the quality and the "look" of the shades. The shades are advertised as block out shades and they definitely do block out the sun (the last photo demonstrates how dark the interior became when all of the shades were in their down position). I really wanted the OceanAir shades (quoted price was $600 + shipping and taxes). But the IKEA shades (total cost was $109 including taxes) were a much more affordable solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roller Shades 2.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	257939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller Shades 4.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	257940  

Name:	Roller Shades 5.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	257941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller Shades 6.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	257942  

Name:	Roller Shades 7.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	257943  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Photo of the interior when all shades were in their down position demonstrating that they definitely are sun blocking shades .... as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roller Shades 3.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	257945  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Another Find

I know it sounds like I work for IKEA or that I'm "marketing" their products ... but neither is the situation ... I just keep finding great things for the Airstream at IKEA ... I guess because the Europeans are very good with space utilization. It probably is not the best thing for my little pocket book that I am only 10 minutes from IKEA .....

This is a trash basket we purchased at IKEA which is mounted on the wall ... enabling the floor space to be utilized for something else where the trash basket used to occupy space. Now we can place the dog food bowls and dog watering bowl in the small space where the trash basket used to occupy valuable space. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trash Basket 1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	257946  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
And Then I Found This

This is a neat item that IKEA sells for organizing pots and pans. We found it to be perfect for "nesting" our drinkware so that they don't slide all over the place when we're in transit. The neat thing about this item is that it expands and contracts to fit whatever footprint your needs require.

I placed it on its side in the last photo to demonstrate how this item could be placed in a different position for wall mounting and utilized in other capacities (perhaps mounted on a wall or inside a closet to hang towels or clothes or other items ... I have lots of ideas for ways to use this).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Glassware Holder 4.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	257947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glassware Holder 3.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	257948  

Name:	Glassware Holder 2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	257949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glassware Holder 1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	257950  

Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Paper Towel Holder

Counter space is also prime real estate in the Airstream ... so I decided to mount a paper towel holder under the upper cabinet area and free up space on the coutertop.

Also a photo of our new ottoman ... well actually it's the dog's launch pad to get onto and off the bed ... so it's really their ottoman ... the previous one was looking pretty used up ... so time for a new one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paper Towel Holder 2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	257977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottoman.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	257978  

Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Barrie , Ontario
Finally got around to getting the struts from Princess Auto here in Canada. Installed them and they work like a charm. Makes it so much easier to get at stuff under the bed. Also did the table move mod after approval from the boss. Really helps the openness of the hall. Great thread. Lets keep it going.
Lhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunter59 View Post
Finally got around to getting the struts from Princess Auto here in Canada. Installed them and they work like a charm. Makes it so much easier to get at stuff under the bed. Also did the table move mod after approval from the boss. Really helps the openness of the hall. Great thread. Lets keep it going.
I'm glad to hear you are pleased with the modifications you're reading about and experiencing yourself. I have more ideas and modifications on the way ... but those may be about 1 month out. I enjoy hearing and seeing the other modifications made by owners of the 22' Sport.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
WRT the IKEA shades: you may want to buy a spare or two 'cause IKEA often changes products and then you can't get the old stuff anymore...
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Kids bunk in our Bambi!

I love all the hacks and improvements in this thread! I've done or seriously considered many of these here, and really appreciate the sharing. In the spirit of 'giving back, I wanted to share our take on a kid-sized bunk in our 19' Bambi (I posted similarly in "what did you get for your trailer today" forum).

We have a family of 5+big dog that we do weekends and holiday trips, and packing 5 people into a 19' trailer can be challenging. Luckily for us, our youngest is 8 and still has some growing to do, so she doesn't require a 'full size' sleeping accommodation. Our solution (for the time being) was to add a temporary hanging bunk for her to sleep on (the older two sleep on the converted dinette, the adults in the bed below the bunk, and the dog on the floor).

This won't work for everyone given the space constraints, but for us it was the perfect solution to our space problems. The cot is 52" long (ECR4Kids kiddie cot from Amazon), the chains are attached to brackets riveted through the support members behind the ceiling skin (with long heavy duty rivets), and the sides are just hooks riveted (or screwed) to the aluminum interior skin (or in the case of the footboard the wood paneling).

I spent a lot of time researching and analyzing how to do this before I attacked it, and settled on this removable hack. It's not quite 'factory quality', but it allowed us to add an additional kid-sleeping space without removing the upper storage compartment, and it suits us pretty well for the time being! It supports my 100lb 11 year old just fine as you can see from the pictures below, and I've hung my 150lbs individually from each of the ring anchors riveted to ceiling with no signs of them pulling free. Hopefully this will be useful to others who are looking to make creative use of limited space!

This bunk bed mod, adding a lift kit to our axle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1748143), and adding 150Watts of solar have been life changing for us!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	258012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	258013  

Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I hung the Tuppler roller shades that we purchased at IKEA and we're really pleased with the quality and the "look" of the shades. The shades are advertised as block out shades and they definitely do block out the sun (the last photo demonstrates how dark the interior became when all of the shades were in their down position). I really wanted the OceanAir shades (quoted price was $600 + shipping and taxes). But the IKEA shades (total cost was $109 including taxes) were a much more affordable solution.

Hi, great modifications you made to your trailer. My Safari has mini-blinds on the kitchen window and I can't stand it. I think my next trip to Ikea will have a roll up shade on my shopping list. My nearest Ikea is about 50 miles from me so we don't go there very often.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I love all the hacks and improvements in this thread! I've done or seriously considered many of these here, and really appreciate the sharing. In the spirit of 'giving back, I wanted to share our take on a kid-sized bunk in our 19' Bambi (I posted similarly in "what did you get for your trailer today" forum).

We have a family of 5+big dog that we do weekends and holiday trips, and packing 5 people into a 19' trailer can be challenging. Luckily for us, our youngest is 8 and still has some growing to do, so she doesn't require a 'full size' sleeping accommodation. Our solution (for the time being) was to add a temporary hanging bunk for her to sleep on (the older two sleep on the converted dinette, the adults in the bed below the bunk, and the dog on the floor).

This won't work for everyone given the space constraints, but for us it was the perfect solution to our space problems. The cot is 52" long (ECR4Kids kiddie cot from Amazon), the chains are attached to brackets riveted through the support members behind the ceiling skin (with long heavy duty rivets), and the sides are just hooks riveted (or screwed) to the aluminum interior skin (or in the case of the footboard the wood paneling).

I spent a lot of time researching and analyzing how to do this before I attacked it, and settled on this removable hack. It's not quite 'factory quality', but it allowed us to add an additional kid-sleeping space without removing the upper storage compartment, and it suits us pretty well for the time being! It supports my 100lb 11 year old just fine as you can see from the pictures below, and I've hung my 150lbs individually from each of the ring anchors riveted to ceiling with no signs of them pulling free. Hopefully this will be useful to others who are looking to make creative use of limited space!

This bunk bed mod, adding a lift kit to our axle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1748143), and adding 150Watts of solar have been life changing for us!
Hi, fantastic bunk bed idea; Very creative, and to get five people and a dog into a 19'er.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Question about the Ikea shades. I notice the length of the shades are 76". You didn't trim off the excess did you? Just pull them down to the desired location and not worry about the extra length? Did you have to cut any of the shades width down?

How do you secure the shades against the wall when pulled down?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Question about the Ikea shades. I notice the length of the shades are 76". You didn't trim off the excess did you? Just pull them down to the desired location and not worry about the extra length? Did you have to cut any of the shades width down?

How do you secure the shades against the wall when pulled down?

Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
You took the words right out of my mouth. I know they are probably not very heavy - but when only needing about 24" in length 76 seems to be quite a lot.

When I saw their upgrade just after I have been pricing all sorts of things in my 22' 2005 CCD International, I thought great! because ha I just saw the price of the Oceanview blinds OMG!!!! Mine are original - thought of painting them to cover the many mosquito death marks - but the Ikea blinds - cut or not cut would do the trick nicely. I might even have my aluminum fabricator whip me up some valances for three of the blinds - as the other two sit under the curb side upper cabinets.

Looks like the tab/pull at the bottom could easily take a grommet snap (female end) - as that is how mine are attached - although I do like the little pull string connector on the new ones - whatever you use it is really easy to drill a little hole in the inside wall and attached with rivets.

So cool all your upgrades and innovative ideas Frank and Mike - I will keep watching to see of any other ideas you may have.....Thanks!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Very Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
WRT the IKEA shades: you may want to buy a spare or two 'cause IKEA often changes products and then you can't get the old stuff anymore...
It may be good to have a spare or two.