Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
2015 22' Sport - We Made Some Changes

Background:
Newly purchased November 2015, was questioning if it was turning out to be the wrong model for our needs (having previously owned two 25 footers and one 32 footer) because:
1. the smaller footprint limits access through the galley area to 1 person at a time,
2. the table layout didn't allow for a sofa/lounge area,
3. the challenge to access that nice large storage space under the bed (get on your knees and stick you head up in there and pull everything out),
4. the dislike for the kitchen sink, and
5. the dislike for the mini-blinds.

Today I decided the things that were prompting us to question our purchase have easy "fixes", so it was time to start working on the solutions.

Upon arriving home from our weekend camping, we started to work on resolving items 1 and 2 which turned out to be a simple "fix" as follows:

1. Move the table base as close to the curb side dinette area as possible.
2. The factory places the table base 8 inches out into the galley area, away from the dinette seating (on the curb side), so by moving the table base as close to the curb side dinette as possible it:
a. freed up 8 inches of additional living space,
b. allowed the dinette to also become a sofa/lounge area,
c. allowed room for another person to walk though the galley area while another person is standing in the galley area.
3. Rotate the table 180 degrees where the table now slides from the curb side wall out to the walkway when needed to convert to the bed.

First photo shows the clip on the underneath side of the table which allows the table to slide back and forth sideways. Next couple photos show table in its original position which impedes the galley area, restricting space to 1 person only. Next few photos then depict after the table base is moved as far to the curbside as possible (approximately 8 inches). Last few photos show how moving the table base now allows us to convert the space into a sofa/lounge area as well. Last photo shows that with the table slide, we can still slide the table back toward the galley area and have the same side sleeping area that we had prior to moving the table base.

Hope this makes sense to anyone that is considering this easy modification. I think this modification may also work for 23 FB models.

The next solution "to come" will be a "fix" for item 3. There is another thread on here that someone created which will be the source of our efforts "to come."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Slides.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	242289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements 2.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	242301  

Name:	Measurements 4.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	242302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Before 2.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	242303  

Name:	Table Before 3.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	242304   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 2.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	242305  

Name:	After 5.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	242306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Now a Sofa Area 1.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	242307  

Name:	Now a Sofa Area 3.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	242308  
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
At first I couldn't figure out how you acquired a '15 model in November when it's just now July,2015.... but then realized it must be a typo.

We have a 2008 22' Sport which has the fwd/convertible dinette and pull-out sofa where the FB dinette is.

We first thought the FB model was a great improvement, as we haven't used our convertible dinette for anything other than a bed, and use the sofa with TV-trays for eating (either indoors or out.) It has worked swell, but we thought the FB was a better arrangement until the narrow passageway issue became known. Your solution seems like a good one. Thanks for sharing.

What's not to like about the mini-blinds?

I'm ambivalent about the sink.... it does allow greater counter-space but the times you need the counter is usually when you also need the sink, it seems.
I'm just hoping that fold-away faucet/spigot never fails!
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Hello Boxite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
At first I couldn't figure out how you acquired a '15 model in November when it's just now July,2015.... but then realized it must be a typo.
Nope, no typo. It's actually a 2015, purchased November 2014.

Quote:
Cheap quality, don't like their appearance how they hang, a pain to keep clean. Also did I mention Cheap? Really Cheap. I think the Oceanair shades will be replacing the min-blinds very, very soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Very Nice.

Curious if you are seriously considering a sink/counter modification, and your thoughts there?

In my Vision, it would be a stainless sink with integrated drain board.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Yes, Sink Changes Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Very Nice.

Curious if you are seriously considering a sink/counter modification, and your thoughts there?

In my Vision, it would be a stainless sink with integrated drain board.
Yes, at first I liked the kitchen sink ... but the more we use it the more I dislike it. Friends, through another social network site, own a 22 foot Sport and they've made some very nice changes to their Sport. One change they made was the kitchen sink and it looks much more practical and "useable" than the factory sink.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

We have a 2008 22' Sport which has the fwd/convertible dinette and pull-out sofa where the FB dinette is.

We first thought the FB model was a great improvement, as we haven't used our convertible dinette for anything other than a bed, and use the sofa with TV-trays for eating (either indoors or out.) It has worked swell, but we thought the FB was a better arrangement until the narrow passageway issue became known. Your solution seems like a good one. Thanks for sharing.

I'm ambivalent about the sink.... it does allow greater counter-space but the times you need the counter is usually when you also need the sink, it seems.
I'm just hoping that fold-away faucet/spigot never fails!
The new models start hitting the dealership lots in June.
My trailer is a 2013, purchased in October 2012. The shower was manufactured in June 2012, so I assume the trailer was manufactured in June or July of 2012.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Parkersburg , West Virginia
We have the 2015 and didn't mind the sink as it is, but it can be problematic. I like being able to clean up the kitchen and have everything covered and with a load of usable space. Learned to double check something I saw could bean issue with the sink faucet. If you close the lid when the faucet is in the hot position it points straight so that closing down the sink lid will turn on the water. This happened on our last outing, happily the water heater was off, but we were connected to city water so there was no running out of water to save the day. The gray tank filled up, water backup up into the shower and began spilling out into the floor. When I opened the door I was shocked and paniced until I realized what must have happened. Thankfully, it didn't go on too long before we caught it. Water didn't get underneath the cabinets and mopping with towels dried us out.
jsandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Mini-blinds are terrible. They get all bent up from bouncing down the road. The strings used to raise/lower break/stop working. The twist rod used to open/close the blinds break/fall off. I also hate the day/night shades, but they are better than mini-blinds. The Airstream curtain-in-a-track is the best thing, and I don't think any new trailers have them any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

2013 22' FB Sport
Idyllwild , California
Thanks!

Frank & Mike, thanks for sharing. We too wanted to somehow make a sofa out of the dining table arrangement but still maintain the ability to use the bed/table. Your posting was perfect and within the hour of receiving your post our conversion was completed on our 22fb Sport.

Keep us posted on your other changes and again thanks.
nobonk262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
So Glad It Worked Out for You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobonk262 View Post
Frank & Mike, thanks for sharing. We too wanted to somehow make a sofa out of the dining table arrangement but still maintain the ability to use the bed/table. Your posting was perfect and within the hour of receiving your post our conversion was completed on our 22fb Sport.

Keep us posted on your other changes and again thanks.
I'm glad you found some benefit with our posting. As we make progress on the upcoming changes we'll update this thread.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
I was thinking about doing this, but didn't want to have 2 or 3 holes in the floor when I moved the pedestal back...how did you cover them?
Re blinds: I got a set of magnets from ACE that came with tape strips to put on the aluminum frame at the bottom of each window to hold the blinds down...the plastic clips wouldn't.
Re bed: I posted a modification a few months back using a piano hinge & lifters under the mattress for easier access: Bed modification 5/3/15 Interior Restoration Forum.
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Mini-blinds are terrible. They get all bent up from bouncing down the road. The strings used to raise/lower break/stop working. The twist rod used to open/close the blinds break/fall off. I also hate the day/night shades, but they are better than mini-blinds. The Airstream curtain-in-a-track is the best thing, and I don't think any new trailers have them any more.

We have a 2012 FC that has been towed close to 12000 miles and spend 15 to 20 weeks a year living in it with mini blinds and they are not bent, the strings still work and the plastic rods are still doing their job.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Brillant!
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
We have a 2012 FC that has been towed close to 12000 miles and spend 15 to 20 weeks a year living in it with mini blinds and they are not bent, the strings still work and the plastic rods are still doing their job.

Gary

Possibly Airstream uses better blinds?
The mini-blinds in our 2009 Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS were junk, but the whole trailer was junk.
I don't like the day/night shades, either. They are junky in our friends'1995 Allegro Bus and they are junky in our 2013 Airstream.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamr View Post
I was thinking about doing this, but didn't want to have 2 or 3 holes in the floor when I moved the pedestal back...how did you cover them?.
As painful as it was to drill an additional 6 holes, I did it. But the outcome was well worth it. I filled the holes with Liquid Nails, and then used a black felt tip marker to cover the Liquid Nails. Looks just like the factory floor covering.

[/QUOTE]Re blinds: I got a set of magnets from ACE that came with tape strips to put on the aluminum frame at the bottom of each window to hold the blinds down...the plastic clips wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

This sounds very interesting. Would you mind posting some photos? The photos seem to help me understand better.

[/QUOTE]Re bed: I posted a modification a few months back using a piano hinge & lifters under the mattress for easier access: Bed modification 5/3/15 Interior Restoration Forum.[/QUOTE]

I think you're the person that gave me the inspiration to make some changes but I cannot find your thread. Can you respond with a link to your thread and some photos?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post

Gary
Gary, we're pretty picky with our things ... unfortunately ... our two Jack Russell Terriers just don't find it important to respect the mini-blinds. Are they not Angels? LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buttons and Shali.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	242478  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Possibly Airstream uses better blinds?
The mini-blinds in our 2009 Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS were junk, but the whole trailer was junk.
I don't like the day/night shades, either. They are junky in our friends'1995 Allegro Bus and they are junky in our 2013 Airstream.

Ok, now I'm thinking we better reconsider the shades.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I Invision Another Idea - Kitchen Storage

I've been studying the space above the fridge for a number of months. I believe this is a great opportunity and location to build in a low profile cabinet/drawer for addition kitchen storage. The measurements I took indicate there is plenty space for additional items to be packed into this wasted space when turned into a low profile cabinet/drawer. Has anyone done this yet? Or am I going to be the first to experiment? Woops just noticed I misspelled Envision.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Storage Idea 1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	242547  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Just be aware that the rear of the shelf gets slightly warm from the fridge. Enough to make a loaf of bread sweat.

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Background:
Newly purchased November 2015, was questioning if it was turning out to be the wrong model for our needs (having previously owned two 25 footers and one 32 footer) because:
1. the smaller footprint limits access through the galley area to 1 person at a time,
2. the table layout didn't allow for a sofa/lounge area,
3. the challenge to access that nice large storage space under the bed (get on your knees and stick you head up in there and pull everything out),
4. the dislike for the kitchen sink, and
5. the dislike for the mini-blinds.

Today I decided the things that were prompting us to question our purchase have easy "fixes", so it was time to start working on the solutions.

Upon arriving home from our weekend camping, we started to work on resolving items 1 and 2 which turned out to be a simple "fix" as follows:

1. Move the table base as close to the curb side dinette area as possible.
2. The factory places the table base 8 inches out into the galley area, away from the dinette seating (on the curb side), so by moving the table base as close to the curb side dinette as possible it:
a. freed up 8 inches of additional living space,
b. allowed the dinette to also become a sofa/lounge area,
c. allowed room for another person to walk though the galley area while another person is standing in the galley area.
3. Rotate the table 180 degrees where the table now slides from the curb side wall out to the walkway when needed to convert to the bed.

First photo shows the clip on the underneath side of the table which allows the table to slide back and forth sideways. Next couple photos show table in its original position which impedes the galley area, restricting space to 1 person only. Next few photos then depict after the table base is moved as far to the curbside as possible (approximately 8 inches). Last few photos show how moving the table base now allows us to convert the space into a sofa/lounge area as well. Last photo shows that with the table slide, we can still slide the table back toward the galley area and have the same side sleeping area that we had prior to moving the table base.

Hope this makes sense to anyone that is considering this easy modification. I think this modification may also work for 23 FB models.

The next solution "to come" will be a "fix" for item 3. There is another thread on here that someone created which will be the source of our efforts "to come."
Did you have to unbolt the base is my question? I'm pretty sure, but curious. Love the lounger look.
TandT is offline   Reply With Quote