Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 02:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Pukekohe , Auckland
2013 Bambi

Hi, in our Bambi we have a Dometic two way fridge there is a red switch just inside the door which turns on the fan in the back of the fridge cavity can anyone help with how often this should be on....... All the time, in a certain temperature? Any feedback would be appreciated
Nugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I had a 2012 19 flying cloud and we never used the fan switch, it should be used if it's realy hot outside ,here in canada it's gets hot but not as hot as southern parts of the usa.
I now have a 2015 16 sport and there is no fan switch and the fan runs most of the time ,there is a thermo switch in both the 2012 flying cloud and the 2015 sport that automatically allows the fan to cycle depending upon the back coils fridge temperature( if you look inside your outside fridge upper vent cover you will see the thermo sensor mounted to the upper coil area with two wires on it and one going to the fan .
That switch on your 19 foot international is a manual shut off if you don't want the fan to automatically cycle on and off , but on my 2015 16 sport there is no switch so it runs automatically.
If you have campground power you can put the switch on and you fridge will work more efficient and last longer,and be cooler inside fropidge ( depends on outside temp as at cooler temp the fan will not cycle due to the thermo sensor on fridge coil. But fridge inside temp will be cooler in warmer outside temp.
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Generlly speaking, the switch should be on, unless you want it off for a real reason. Like trying to sleep at night with the fan running, that little fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Pukekohe , Auckland
Thanks for your help Don and Terry. Not as hot here in New Zealand as parts of the US and Canada but good to know that if needed it's there have a great day!!!!!!!!
Nugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does anyone know what temp the thermostat sensor for the fans are set at? Replacements are available for a wide range of temps. My fan and sensor are not working. The previous owner disconnected the wires to both. I have pulled and tested both the fan and sensor.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We are going to replace the (very) cheap factory fan after this trip. There has to be a quieter and more efficient one! I did have rubber placed between the frame and mount as a warranty item. That helps, but I still must "adjust" it, now and then, to keep it from making noise. The fan seems to be floating on its axis, loosely. So, it must be perfectly, vertically aligned to spin without distress (and noises). Look at yours while it is running to see what I mean. Notice also where it was imported from.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I will use this switch during hot weather when the trailer is parked in the driveway between trips and the fridge is turned off - on hot days the fan will still kick on in response to ambient outside heat. So - our routine during hot weather is: when the fridge is turned off the fan switch is also turned off.

Having said that - don't forget to turn it back on when you fire up the fridge - you'll be reminded quickly - the fridge compartment will heat up and you'll wonder why the top of the fridge feels so hot.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I still am wondering about that Fan!

I'm not sure if this is where to put my comments ... But, it is what came up on the screen (?):
If the fan is so critical to the operation of the refrigerator, why is it such a loud and apparently flimsy one? The floating of the fan requires careful leveling to keep it from rattling. Once "balanced," it is relatively quiet, until it "decides" to start rolling into the off-balance mode again. Crazy?! Poor crafting of the ASs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I will use this switch during hot weather when the trailer is parked in the driveway between trips and the fridge is turned off - on hot days the fan will still kick on in response to ambient outside heat. So - our routine during hot weather is: when the fridge is turned off the fan switch is also turned off.

Having said that - don't forget to turn it back on when you fire up the fridge - you'll be reminded quickly - the fridge compartment will heat up and you'll wonder why the top of the fridge feels so hot.

Jay
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
If the fan is so critical to the operation of the refrigerator, why is it such a loud and apparently flimsy one? The floating of the fan requires careful leveling to keep it from rattling. Once "balanced," it is relatively quiet, until it "decides" to start rolling into the off-balance mode again. Crazy?! Poor crafting of the ASs?
I believe that the fan is a Dometic part, at least one which looks like it and the mounting system is in my Dometic installation manual, with a part number. I would bet that Airstream simply puts that fan in so that if the refrigerator has any issues, Dometic can be blamed, not AS for changing the fan from a Dometic to something they selected. It is interesting that in the same installation manual there is no reference to the thermostatic disc switch that is on the cooling fins by either part number or where it is or how it is installed. And nothing on a user operated on and off switch. At least none in my 2014 Dometic manuals.

So, some speculation on my part.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is where to put my comments ... But, it is what came up on the screen (?):
Actually I don't think the fan itself is flimsy - but yes - it is noisy and the way it is mounted seems to amplify the noise.

To minimize it coming on overnight we do not restock the fridge in the evening - only in the morning - if you decide to fill up the ice trays and pop/beer shelf just before going to bed then you are pretty much guaranteed it will run most of the night unless you are camping during a cool fall period.

If you do a search you will find earlier threads where folks have swapped out the stock fan for quieter models - I seem to recall some used computer fans and other folks found a different way of mounting it that was quieter.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The OEM fan on my 2008 Sport quit recently while on a trip. The Bluetooth thermometer indicated the fridge was at 50+ degrees and the freezer at 28. This is warmer than I like.

The friends we were visiting had several old failed desktop computers, so we stole the fans out of them and installed two of them (electrically speaking) in series. I installed them left/right separated by about 4". They run so quietly.... and produce so much more air-flow... silently....

The fridge now cycles between 38 and 44 .. and the freezer stays between 2 and 8 degrees F.

It's Texas, and it's 95+ each day...and they run all day. However because they are wired in series, they don't draw the amps of two fans. (They are running about half their normal speed ..when FULL speed was quiet... half speed is absolutely silent.... they are not heard even when observing them from the outside.... there's just a soft flow of warm air exiting the condensers.)

Hope this helps.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
There is a very good, but difficult to obtain, solution to the noisy refrigerator fan. Perhaps somebody could convince Airstream to offer it as an accessory.

Shortly after purchasing our 2002 Bambi new, we replaced the noisy, single fan with a two-stage double fan. The new setup has a small controller panel we mounted inside (requires drilling a hole in the cabinet holding the refrigerator). The two-stage operation is, essentially, two fan speeds based on temperature. The higher speed kicks in when the temperature gets too high. The thing has worked perfectly ever since installation and is very quiet. It is made by an Italian company (Chinese-made fans) called CBE and is not, as far as I can determine, sold in the US.

We bought ours from Reimo in Germany: https://www.reimo.com/de/81115-kuehl...o_mit_anzeige/
Another source I found is in Italy (more expensive): Doppia ventola per frigo camper CBE MCV-2

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Recently I replaced the none functioning fan in my Safari with this model from Radio Shack. It is virtually silent inside the trailer. You have to get close to the outside vent to hear it. I wired an on/off switch in line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	242018  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quiet Vent Fans

Fantastic! This is the most compatible fan that I have seen, thus far. But, is it 12v?
Also, why were you not able to attach the two-wire system already available behind the thermostat? The wiring looks complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Recently I replaced the none functioning fan in my Safari with this model from Radio Shack. It is virtually silent inside the trailer. You have to get close to the outside vent to hear it. I wired an on/off switch in line.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Fantastic! This is the most compatible fan that I have seen, thus far. But, is it 12v?
Also, why were you not able to attach the two-wire system already available behind the thermostat? The wiring looks complicated.
Yes it is 12 volt DC. Wiring was very simple. The replacement fan was a direct swap for the original fan. No extra wiring involved. The switch is attached inline for simplicity. I left the wires long and taped them up in case I wanted to add a second fan sometime in the future.