Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
2011 Flying Cloud 19'-- Pros/Cons?

Airstream wanna be here. Our nest is empty...and we're new to camping. The only camping we've done is primitive camping so small space and the need for super-efficiency doesn't scare us. Once you've carried all of your supplies on your back for days at a time, the Bambi seems roomy!

That said, we started on the dealers' lot looking at various Bambis. (We have limited towing capacity so the 22-footer is our limit.) The wet bath in the 16' sport scared us although we loved the pano dinette window. We loved the 22' bath and kitchen space but thought the pano window was wasted over the bed. Also, on both options I worried about access with the "fully enclosed" bed.

So...the 19' Flying Cloud with the pano dinette, mid-size bath, and more-accessible bed caught our eye. We found a used 2011 19' Flying Cloud and are going to look at it this weekend.

Looking for any and all feedback on the 2011 19' Flying Cloud. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insight!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about the unit they have

The big plus's we've found with our now 12 year old Bambi 19 (purchased new) is that it is small enough to get up and go at a moments notice, elegant enough to be an eye-catcher anywhere you camp, easy to tow under pretty much any circumstance, easy to back into most public campsites (we don't spend a lot of time in pull-thru RV sites), is very self-sufficient with a small generator, and; despite it's small size has all the right stuff - including a full-sized shower and the privacy of a change area.

The ONLY downside we found was the 48" bed - which we solved by converting into a set of bunks - problem solved.

After 12 seasons we still have no desire to trade up, down or sideways - the trailer needs a little TLC from time to time, and is showing a few "heritage" marks, but it is still an eye-catcher with passers by asking for "the tour".

You'll love it.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Pair of bunks?

Jay.... could you post some pics of this mod? We have a 2006 Bambi 19' and overall, we like it. But we have to set up too sleeping areas for the two of us since the bed is so small and the end is partially blocked by the refrigerator. Thus the interest in the bunks.

George

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Here are a couple pictures of the bunks.

The top bunk is tied into the back of the refrigerator, the floor of the trailer and the wall of the bathroom. The bottom bunk is the floor of the original bed - nothing changed here except to frame the bunk space and add the oak "bench" on the remaining portion.

We chose to leave the overhead cabinets untouched which limits the vertical space available - if you do the math you will see that it doesn't work out so well. My space - the lower bunk - is affectionately called "The Coffin" - for good reason. I should point out that the pillow end of both beds is at the fridge end.

The upside to these is that we can each move independently without waking the other up or interfering with each others sleep. There is also an unexpected benefit with having the head of the bed at the fridge - there is no longer any "spilling" of cold air onto our heads during cold-weather camping (we do quite a bit of it). The bench is a nice plus and there is a sense of more room in the trailer.

This was fairly simple to do - but I am not saying it is for everyone - do the math - and make sure you consider the vertical space available. You may want to consider modifying the overhead cabinets.

I should also add that this can be taken out in about 3/4 of an hour and the original mattress put back in.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2227.JPG
Views:	2806
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	226844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2234.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	226845  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2278.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	226846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2290.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	226847  

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
As Jay, we also have a nearly 13-year-old 19' Bambi. We have not made his bunk bed modification (the temptation has been there!) having adapted ourselves to the regular bed.

We have made many modifications to suit us, but the bottom line is that we have loved our 19' since buying it new. We spend about a month a year in it. We being two people and a large dog. Fly fishing occupies most of our days when under way with the trailer, so have no idea what it would be like without daytime activity outside of the trailer.

Is our Bambi cramped? Not for us, we describe it as cozy.

Tim
Old 11-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
West Salem , Wisconsin
We have a 20' FC, 2012 with the same bed width but more length (thank goodness, since I am 6'5"). Our "solution" is to , I hope this isn't too weird, sleep head to foot. Works for us.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
Thanks, all! We appreciate your helpful tips.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Buy what YOU like. If you discover, down the road, that you want something else, trade or, as many members here have done, have two.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Bunk beds

Jay....thanks for all the pics and info. Found additional info from your other posts. This would work even better in our Bambi because it does not have storage bins over the bed. Sounds like a project!

George

P.S. Sorry to hijack this thread! Bottom line for us re the Bambi is that it is just a bit too small. But it sure is cute!

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
We started off with 19' Flying Cloud, primarily because it would tow behind our Toyota SUV, and because we could also park it in the garage. I actually liked it a lot, but eventually we decided it didn't fit our lifestyles perfectly:
My wife didn't feel confident to drive the rig on her own. Also backing it into our garage was proving to be difficult at best and was a source of matrimonal verbiage between us.
Also, we wanted a true get up and go vehicle that could be used in National Forests (length restrictions) and in cities. So maneuvrability and parking was very important to us.
I was never totally confident with the single axle of the Bambi, eventually getting neurotic about all that weight sitting on just two tires.
The dry bathroom was perfect for us, but the bed was on the small side and we found the dining table under the panoramic front window was awkward to get around.
If I was to remain with a trailer, I would have upgraded to a 23' with rear bath, the island bed (barely) up front, and the side dinette in the middle, and the twin axles. Since we now have a VW Touareg TDi, that would have been within its towing capacity.
That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Ranger j , i will be maki g the same bunks in my 2006 ccd. Perfect for grandkids. What did you use for actual mattress. Anxious to hear. This looks lokie rather easy project. Thanks
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Ranger j , i will be maki g the same bunks in my 2006 ccd. Perfect for grandkids. What did you use for actual mattress. Anxious to hear. This looks lokie rather easy project. Thanks

We use self-inflating camping/hiking type mattresses that lay on top of closed-cell camping/hiking sleeping pads.

I've sent you a PM with a bit more information and a few considerations.

If you or anyone else wishes more information please feel free to send me a note.

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
I have the 16 so I can't really do the bunk without a lot of hassles, but I just wanted to say fantastic job there. It should have a thread of it's own. Absolutely love the creativity you used.

On ours I can't sleep on the rear bed with my face in the side of the closet so I just make up the dinette and sleep like a baby. The bad part is our bed is bigger than the 19, but it IS a LOT more enclosed. I get very claustrophobic in it and I have never had that problem before. Fans helped but not enough.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Hi Jay,

My wife and I just bought a 2015 19' Flying Cloud and will be towing it with a 2013 Ford Expedition. What are your thoughts/recommendations for the hitch?

Thanks!