Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Yorktown , Virginia
2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD with tow package

Does anyone know if a 2010 Toyota Tacuma V6 (4L) 4WD with the tow package is enough vehicle to tow a 2014 Airstream Sport 22FB? The Toyota is rated for towing 6500 lbs with a hitch weight of 650 lbs and the GVWR of the Sport is 4500 lbs. I don't know how much weight difference should be allowed for towing in mountainess areas as I will be wanting to travel in the western part of the U.S. as well as the new england states. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
My 2004 V-8 4Runner 4X4 says 7000 lb. towing capacity but I was able to research additional information using Google. Maximum tongue weight is 700 lbs. and maximum trailer weight is 5,710 lbs.

I found that at new-cars.com and they said they confirm with the manufacturers. I didn't find anything for your model. Have you contacted your Toyota dealership to get the specifications for yours?

Rich

Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Yorktown , Virginia
Yes, and the Toyota manual also says 6500 lbs but, I wasn't sure how that would go for traveling in the mountains. Pulling on flat roads compaired to going up mountains would be a lot different. I know it would be a lot harder on the transmission but my vehicle has a transmission cooler on it so that might save it from over heating in the mountains. I was hoping somebody out there might have some experience with my make of vehicle. Thank you for your information.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
You can easily tow the 22 with the Tacoma. That is a pretty big trailer though and the truck will bog down some. But with the right weight distribution / sway control hitch, you'll be fine. Don't plan on holding 65 mph up mountain hills ... but it can handle it. I owned a newer Tacoma for a number of years and towed a good sized, heavy boat with it throughout the Sierra Mountains out here in the west.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
Does anyone know if a 2010 Toyota Tacuma V6 (4L) 4WD with the tow package is enough vehicle to tow a 2014 Airstream Sport 22FB? The Toyota is rated for towing 6500 lbs with a hitch weight of 650 lbs and the GVWR of the Sport is 4500 lbs. I don't know how much weight difference should be allowed for towing in mountainess areas as I will be wanting to travel in the western part of the U.S. as well as the new england states. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
I pull a 4000 pound white box camper ( funfinder ) with the "cousin" to the Taco. My 2006 Frontier ( 4.0L, 4WD, six speed manual ) pulls this well. Setup with a BlueOx swaypro hitch, I have pulled extensively from sea level to over 12K feet ( Colorado, Wyoming, New Mex, Arizona ).
I would think your Taco would be a good match for the trailer you are looking at.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Country, there are other threads on this subject here on ASF. TBRich from the Phoenix area has a similar TV and tows a 19' Bambi like mine which is about the same weight as your 22' Sport. He says he wouldn't go any heavier but his seems to do fine. You might want to PM him on the subject, he's very helpful. My experience is if your doing a lot of mountain driving take your time and don't push your rig. Your transmission could become an issue before your engine does.

Do you already have the trailer? The sport is a nice trailer - a little narrower but still roomy with a slightly larger bed. Good luck with whatever you decide on. You should get lots of help here on the forum.
Mark
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a 2011 Tacoma that works fine-- but with our lighter (3500 lb) Bambi. We live in the mountains, and just plan on keeping our speed to around 60 mph or less going up hill. (Life in the slow lane!) We also check out passes on 2-lane highways that might be lower than the Interstate ones. If we have to pull over to be courteous to drivers behind us, then that's what we do. With this strategy we usually get around 15 mpg.

Also consider the extra weight of a full water tank, gear, passengers, &c.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
I also tow a 2010 bambi 16 at 3500 ponds with a 2013 tocoma v6. I had no issues towing to Florida and back to Rhode Island. I think I was around 14mpg at 65mph. Love the Tacoma.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have many friends that tow with Tacoma's. I don't recall any of them having problems in the mountains. While not a Taco, our Ridgeline is 4WD and has a V6. We've been over just about every pass in the Southwest including the notorious "Million Dollar Highway" from Durango to Gunnison and never held anybody up. The V6's and tranny's today are a lot better than the V8's I had not too long ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1234.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	205093  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
The Million Dollar Highway would be a great test for any TV/trailer.

Also a test for the driver!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Another plus for the Tacoma is that we decided to be a one-vehicle household. We wanted something with decent gas milage, yet had a crew cab and a 6-foot truck bed for all the times when we are not towing the Bambi.

Sadly, I think the new Tacomas have a dumbed-down towing capacity.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
According to the Toyota brochure, the 4 cyl models have a tow capacity of 3500.

V6 w/tow pkg 6300 to 6500 ( depending on model ).
Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
I towed my 16' Bambi with a Toyota FJ ( I think it has same engine as Tacoma) in the mtns of Arizona with no problems.
The gas tank is small so I'm always stopping for gas.
I had to wire for trailer brakes etc and added " Rock-Tamer" mud flaps to the back
Had to shift down a few times on the steep grades. Towed over 5000 miles so far.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Tacoma towing 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
Yes, and the Toyota manual also says 6500 lbs but, I wasn't sure how that would go for traveling in the mountains. Pulling on flat roads compaired to going up mountains would be a lot different. I know it would be a lot harder on the transmission but my vehicle has a transmission cooler on it so that might save it from over heating in the mountains. I was hoping somebody out there might have some experience with my make of vehicle. Thank you for your information.
I just ran through the numbers for my 22 Sport (to be picked up next week). According to the detailed information on the Tacoma owners' site, it will be fine. The way I figured the numbers, the 22 runs at around 75% of the maximum towing capacity, which is enough room for error for me. Mine is the 2 wd, not the 4wd, but it's the big 6 cyl, tow package, access cab.

Take a look at the Tacoma owners site ... google "towing bible" and it should come right up. It takes a while reading to get to the right place, but if you're like me (no insult intended) it will all be good info. I found that there was no substitute for running the numbers myself, but if you need more specifics, send me an e-mail and I'll try to find my figures to send you.