Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
"If a group in Southern and Central Calif comes about...count us in.
We will be purchasing our Bambi Quicksilver by the end of this month.
Ready to go." Me too!!

Hi Julie. Were you the one with the Eurovan? I have one too and am having trouble parting with it. (Obviously I'm partial to small, compact vehicles) I like the maneuverability and ability to get into small spaces. And if you ever have to pay by the foot, like on some ferries, every foot counts!

Have you picked out your Quicksilver yet?
Hol & Lols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #22

Lewes , Delaware
Had a Eurovan, just bought a 16' CCD--can you explain the refrigerator to me? Do you travel with the propane on; if boondocking, how long can I expect to keep food cold without starting my car; am I missing something??
Mary Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Davis
can you explain the refrigerator to me? Do you travel with the propane on;
Some do, especially in very hot climates. The only thing is, if you do, be sure to shut it off before pulling into a gas station to re-fuel your car. Then relight the pilot away from the staion. Also some briges/tunnels require you to turn it off prior to passing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Davis
if boondocking, how long can I expect to keep food cold without starting my car; am I missing something??
If you are boondocking, you are probably using propane to cool your fridge, so there would be no reason to start your car. They are totally independant of one another.

Good luck with your new toy...you will love it once you get used to it!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Hols and Lols

Yes, I still have the Eurovan. Just can not say goodbye .
Am getting ready to take a big hit on a beautiful (pristine) 04 Volvo cross country (20k miles only) to purchase a tow vehicle. Liked the Tundra, but Monet says no...so, I am looking at the jeep comander as a tow vehicle.
I want to keep it (bambi) on our property here in Santa Monica so I need to make some adjustments to the site...Gate, move gas meter... etc. In the process of doing this...
Have my eye on a quicksilver in irvine...If it is still there in a few weeks.
Not sure if it is a problem not buying where they would service down the line...
Paso Robles had a beauty...assume that is yours?
Everyone is so tired of my excitment already ...nice to share.
You live in a magnificent area.

Is that Lols in the pic?

julie
jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
That is Holly, the 1 1/2 year old yellow lab, my traveling companion.

Yes I got my Quicksilver at Sky River RV in Paso Robles. I had visited it there a few times and finally just went for it. Apparently Airstream only made 100 Quicksilvers and Sky River got 5 but only have 1 left. I am very excited too and can't wait to try it out. One thing that Sky River does is give you a complimentary stay at a local campground nearby so you can test everything out and call them if you have any problems. They'll come to the campground and help you if you need it. I'm doing that this weekend.

Can't part with my Eurovan though. So far I am rationalizing that I may need both vehicles if lots of us go since the van can't be the tow vehicle. I'm using a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the tow vehicle.

I used to live in Santa Monica too before I moved here. Thanks, it is a pretty area. Morro Bay State Park is a nice campground if anyone is heading this way. Reservations are needed in the summer though, especially on weekends.

Laurel (Lols)
Old 06-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
L

Small world.
I will look forward to your upcoming posts...especially, after your first few test trips.
We have friends who have a ranch in SLO so plan on spending a good deal of
time along the central coast...think that is where we would like to end up.
We are fostering a darling 1 1/2 year old jack russell terrier named Holly...you can never have too many Holly's .
I will be thinking of you on Thursday! Enjoy.

julie
Old 06-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Gotta love the Hollys. Mine was a rescue too.

Does anyone have any "must haves" to bring along on my maiden voyage?

Or any Bambi owners have any tips about special "quirks"?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol & Lols
Gotta love the Hollys. Mine was a rescue too.

Does anyone have any "must haves" to bring along on my maiden voyage?

Or any Bambi owners have any tips about special "quirks"?
Martinis, filets, grilled asparagus, good cab -Oops, I mean bordeaux (forgot it was a QuickSilver).

Take folding chairs and some firewood.

Take a book, lie down on the rear bed, and try to read more than 1 1/2 pages before going to sleep.

Go to sleep listening to your favorite music (if your favorite is C&W, omit this step)

Take a percolator-type coffepot, fill it the night before, and start it when you wake up. Get ceramic mugs.

Now the quirks: Check all electrical connections on the entertainment system. Listen for reefer fan noise and decide how long you can put off replacing it with something that won't drive you nuts. Tape your knuckles before cranking the stabilizers with that short tool. TAKE YOUR MANUAL. Understand how your battery works, and what a reasonable draw time is. Check your shower caulking. Check that the OH cabinets are secure; grab them and see if they jiggle. If they jiggle, go directly to your dealer. Same for closet. Some things are fragile; esp. the holding rings for the lid on the bumper compartment and the tabs holding the curtains. Be very careful. Some things are not fragile; turning on the furnace at the thermostat requires approximately 50 times more force than you think.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Hol and Lols,
Congratulations on the adoption of your new Bambi. We live in SLO and have a 22' CCD.... we've been known to frequent Morro Bay State Park and Montana de Oro.... maybe we'll run into you there. Have fun!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Hey Wayne. Any local SLO county Airstream groups?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Great tips, Frozen. Thanks! I'll be sure to tape my knuckles before the wine.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
I GOT IT!
The Quicksilver Bambi is now safely in my driveway waiting for it's first camping trip this weekend. It rode home like a champ (about an hour's drive) and I barely felt it behind me. Now I get to pack it up decorate a little.
Woo hoo!
Laurel
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Congradulations!

You and Holly are off and rolling. You must feel great!
I am so happy for you. Enjoy.

Julie
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thanks Julie. You're next!

Does anyone know...are there sheets that fit the bed in back? Do you just improvise?

Also, there seems to be a lot of storage. So far I have lots left over but we'll see how long that lasts...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LOLS

How did it go?...

julie
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
The short test worked out well...everything seemed to do what it is supposed to (fridge was very cold, all lights etc. worked, no obvious problems) but tomorrow I'm going camping for a long weekend with a whole bunch of people (kids and dogs) so I'll know a lot more after this weekend. The poor thing will be seeing some serious usage!

Is there anything special I should be on the lookout for? Any usual things that need to be double checked?

Hey Julie...any closer to taking yours home???
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #37

Irvine , California
Can anyone give me more information on groups in Orange County? We just bought our first airstream, 16' QS edition and we love it!
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble
Can anyone give me more information on groups in Orange County? We just bought our first airstream, 16' QS edition and we love it!
Hi Bubble:

Welcome to the Forums! ... and Congratulations on buying your QS Edition. Click here for information on California and Nevada Units of the WBCCI:

http://www.wbcci12.org/

then check them out. Nice to have you aboard.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Hey Bubble. I recently got a Quicksilver too and I love it. Have you taken yours camping yet? Keep us posted on how it's working out.

Any comments so far???
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
O.c.

Hello Bubble,

Orange county seems to be adding more AS owners every day. There are WBCCI groups that cover the area but we have not joined an individual unit. We did join WBCCI as members at large. Although one does not have to join any "group" or "club", it does help in meeting really nice folks

Aside from any formal group, we are interested in getting together with other AS owners in the area for stays at locations like Doheney and San Clemente. This campgrounds have nice group camp areas. Of course, it would be great if other AS owners out of the area wanted to join the party.

Great to see another OC AS.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi